Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm halfway through my second year of my degree and I'm thinking about dropping out. My problem is that there's very little about uni that I enjoy, I only have 4 hours of lectures a week and find the content uninteresting and too academic, I struggle to pay rent for a house which like most student houses isn't all that great and really don't enjoy the drinking/clubbing culture seems to come with being a student. I've felt like this since first year but have tried to stay on because of the money i'm paying to be here.
    However as many of the friends I have made here, are graduating this year the prospect of staying on another year is seeming increasingly hard.
    There are so many things I want to do and I really feel like being at uni is holding me back.

Does anyone have any advice about leaving uni or how it affects you when looking for jobs in the future?

Thanks
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bea_freeman)
    I'm halfway through my second year of my degree and I'm thinking about dropping out. My problem is that there's very little about uni that I enjoy, I only have 4 hours of lectures a week and find the content uninteresting and too academic, I struggle to pay rent for a house which like most student houses isn't all that great and really don't enjoy the drinking/clubbing culture seems to come with being a student. I've felt like this since first year but have tried to stay on because of the money i'm paying to be here.
    However as many of the friends I have made here, are graduating this year the prospect of staying on another year is seeming increasingly hard.
    There are so many things I want to do and I really feel like being at uni is holding me back.

Does anyone have any advice about leaving uni or how it affects you when looking for jobs in the future?

Thanks
    Do you have any idea what you d want to do as a career?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Do you have any idea what you d want to do as a career?
    I'm very interested in fashion and would like to do something in that field. Possibly a journalist or trend analyst.However I don't have my heart set on a particular career path.

ReputationRep:
    What course are you currently studying at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Try to complete this year and see how you feel. You're nearly halfway through! If the degree links to what you want to do in the future then it is probably best that you complete the course. However, if it doesn't link to what you are interested in as a future career then I guess dropping out is an option

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caitlin.r98)
    What course are you currently studying at uni?
    I do English 😊

ReputationRep:
    Hi there , I was in a similar position I wasn't enjoying second year as much as third year but I strongly advise you to keep going ! You will have achieved so much having done such a hard degree as English you will be so proud! Also I imagine your job prospects especially for journalism would be increased if you have a degree-if you are really not enjoying English maybe switch to a journalism degree either at your uni or another ? But think if you got into that course (english) then you are academic enough! Also you will feel so awful seeing all your friends graduate and you dropped out that will affect you so stick it out

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, I hadn't really thought about it like that 😊

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.