The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I love the stress of waiting.
Original post by mackie1212
Heya! I've heard that sometimes (very rarely but still) applicants are given a...I think it's called an "open offer?"...in that they get an offer but the exact college that will take them will be determined after A-level results are released and once they see which applicants met their offers...I was wondering if this is possible for all courses or only some (like Maths but not Medicine or something?) and is it possible for mature and non-mature colleges? How often does this actually happen and why? Thanks! )

Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
I did a post about this a few days ago which someone's might be able to find but basicallly, yes. Open offers have run for years in Medicine and Vet Med but have now been extended to all subjects to students with either an OAC or POLAR3 flag, both of whom are underrepresented at Cambridge.

Here. :smile:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4420212&page=480#post69420396

I remember as I repped the post.
Though it's a really good change . :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Steliata
Yeah sometimes they try to overtake on bits of road only wide enough for a car :confused: but usually it's okay. Makes my journey interesting! And thanks for sticking up for us cyclists aha :biggrin:

I think I know where you mean! Black and yellow kit right? If so then yeah we race them all the time, although I'm training with the adult squad now so don't race junior any more! :frown: lots of your crews do quite well though, I remember a few years ago a girls double won at inter-regionals! :colondollar: Very impressive :smile:

You do know where I mean! Small world, eh?
Original post by PythagorasGhost
Will pointing out homophone errors affect my chances of receiving an offer tomorrow? :wink:

Sadly not but thank you! :smile:
Original post by Christie_xx
Ahaha yeah the cycling sounds so amazing!! My dad has a stationary bike that I use but it's not as good as the real thing :redface:

Yeah that might not be so useful in Cambridge...

(It will be safe though.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sadly not but thank you! :smile:

Sorry, if you've already answered this but for open offers will the college that has underwritten the application be the one that contacts the student? Or is it working in an entirely different way
We can't know if you're committed to attending a non-UCAS university can we?

I don't remember that being agreed - it's something of a grey area to be frank.

I thought that when I read it! Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Good luck tomorrow (again) everyone!!!!
Original post by rayofsunshine98
I'm confused... So if you have one of these flags you on your contextual data you are more likely to get an offer because you can get an open offer? Or have I misunderstood?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're not more likely to get an offer no. The process is explained in an earlier post of mine from Saturday (sorry not to go into it all again now but on my phone and off to bed soon!). It's there to correct the fact that people with those flags were less likely to get offers than they should have been all thins considered. There are around 20 people with Open offers outside medicine and vet med which have been doing them for years.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Good luck tomorrow (again) everyone!!!!

Thanks; and to you :smile: We're very lucky to live in a country with plenty of great universities.
Original post by jneill
Yeah that might not be so useful in Cambridge...

(It will be safe though.)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahaha yeah maybe not :lol:
You're not more likely to get an offer no. The process is explained in an earlier post of mine from Saturday (sorry not to go into it all again now but on my phone and off to bed soon!). It's there to correct the fact that people with those flags were less likely to get offers than they should have been all thins considered. There are around 20 people with Open offers outside medicine and vet med which have been doing them for years.

Thanks for clarifying that. One of my friends who isn't on TSR had heard about it and then when I saw it I was really confused (and she would get at least one flag).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by domaths
Sorry, if you've already answered this but for open offers will the college that has underwritten the application be the one that contacts the student? Or is it working in an entirely different way
They will get a letter from the director of admissions for the Cambridge Colleges, Sam Lucy, tomorrow and then will be contacted shortly afterwards (probably a day or so) by the underwriting college.
Original post by liziepie

waiting for the post tomorrow like

DW. Charlie will be looking out for you. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did a post about this a few days ago which someone's might be able to find but basicallly, yes. Open offers have run for years in Medicine and Vet Med but have now been extended to all subjects to students with either an OAC or POLAR3 flag, both of whom are underrepresented at Cambridge.

Does The OAC Classification "Rural Scotland " give a flag?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for clarifying that. One of my friends who isn't on TSR had heard about it and then when I saw it I was really confused (and she would get at least one flag).
[\QUOTE{
Interesting that she heard about it as it hasn't been publicised widely yet. Do you mind my asking how she knew? Just out of curiosity. :smile:

Am signing off now, good luck to all tomorrow and I'll be here to congratulate and commiserate with people tomorrow. Well done all of you to get this far and whatever happens, in the future today will seem far less important than it does now.
[QUOTE="Admissions;69517670" Murray="Murray" Edwards="Edwards"]
[\QUOTE{
Interesting that she heard about it as it hasn't been publicised widely yet. Do you mind my asking how she knew? Just out of curiosity. :smile:

Am signing off now, good luck to all tomorrow and I'll be here to congratulate and commiserate with people tomorrow. Well done all of you to get this far and whatever happens, in the future today will seem far less important than it does now.

I'm not 100% sure, I think she might have another friend who was watching the chat thread for her in the absence of her having a TSR account as literally she messaged me just before I asked. Probably couldn't get hold of her other friend!

Posted from TSR Mobile
[QUOTE="rayofsunshine98;69517722"]

I'm not 100% sure, I think she might have another friend who was watching the chat thread for her in the absence of her having a TSR account as literally she messaged me just before I asked. Probably couldn't get hold of her other friend!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right, thanks, that makes sense.

Honestly Dr Spencer you have been so fantastic! Thanks for giving us so much support throughout the application process, and taking the time out of your day to see to our queries and concerns.
Film for the night: friends with benefits.