Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liziepie)
    Indeed, us northerners are savages that only eat with our hands. What cutlery?
    Can confirm. Cutlery is only used by posh Southerners. Us Northerners spend our money on important things - alcohol and more alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel58)
    If we both get an offer, I'll take you to Costa and show you the perfect hot chocolate technique 😊

Yeah, my dissertation is obviously going to be about the history of hot chocolate 😅
    Sounds like a plan - can't wait!

You know the funny thing about humans is that we understand how blackholes work, even though we've never even seen one, and about things so small that we can't even comprehend eg electrons but we still don't completely understand the coil pattern formed when you pour honey (or any viscous liquid) into a container

ReputationRep:
    Is this episode of Sherlock screwing with anyone else's head a bit or is it just mine? hahah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    Can confirm. Cutlery is only used by posh Southerners. Us Northerners spend our money on important things - alcohol and more alcohol.
    Yep, that describes my plans for Thursday perfectly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HolyRomanEmpire)
    Nah that observation is probably just based on the areas of England you visited. Up north there's plenty of people who eat with their hands.
    Depends where you are. At Maccys, everyone eats with their hands but at Gordon Ramsey's restaurants, you'd eat with cutlery.
    I don't think it's to do with the type of restaurant as everyone I ate with ate with forks and knives not using hands at all, even in the small fish and chips shops (they're not quite as fancy as a Gordon Ramsay restaurant :laugh: )

Yeah maybe it was probably because of the area but even so it's interesting to me

ReputationRep:
    Southerner over here who doesn't use cutlery wherever she can get away with not using it. And yes, I spend my money on alcohol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student1256)
    I don't think it's to do with the type of restaurant as everyone I ate with ate with forks and knives not using hands at all, even in the small fish and chips shops (they're not quite as fancy as a Gordon Ramsay restaurant :laugh: )

Yeah maybe it was probably because of the area but even so it's interesting to me
    Yeah honestly watch Game of Thrones if you want to learn about the cultural differences between the North and South.

ReputationRep:

You know the funny thing about humans is that we understand how blackholes work, even though we've never even seen one, and about things so small that we can't even comprehend eg electrons but we still don't completely understand the coil pattern formed when you pour honey (or any viscous liquid) into a container
    Throughout my time at university, no matter which one I go to, I'm going to find the best hot chocolate in the city through rigorous testing - but nothing will live up to the banter I have with my local Costa employees 😭😭😭

That's so weird???? 🤔🤔🤔

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liziepie)
    Maybe not coffee, but here's some teapot physics https://blog.etsy.com/en/the-teapot-...-teapot-drips/
    See! 😂 Okay tea is done and Rachel did hot chocolate so I guess I should do coffee and complete the divine trinity of popular hot drinks

ReputationRep:
    Let's not stereotype. The sober amongst us do know it's " we Northerners". 😜

ReputationRep:

Well, if you eat fish and chips with your fingers, you're going to get very greasy fingers 😕😕😕

ReputationRep:
    Throughout my time at university, no matter which one I go to, I'm going to find the best hot chocolate in the city through rigorous testing - but nothing will live up to the banter I have with my local Costa employees 😭😭😭

That's so weird???? 🤔🤔🤔
    Watch out fo' dat diabetes tho. Jk jk hope I didn't offend anyone who actually has diabetes 😅

ReputationRep:
    Watch out fo' dat diabetes tho. Jk jk hope I didn't offend anyone who actually has diabetes 😅
    Costa hot chocolate is like the one guilty pleasure I allow myself, my health won't take it away from me!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah honestly watch Game of Thrones if you want to learn about the cultural differences between the North and South.
    Or watch videos on YouTube about "roadmen". I just recently found out about the "roadman" phenomena and I must say... it is the absolute most annoying thing ever to have to listen to someone who talks "road" :rofl:
    Any comments from you British folk on this matter? 😂

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you eat fish and chips with your fingers, you're going to get very greasy fingers 😕😕😕
    Everyone has fries with their fingers though??

ReputationRep:
    Everyone has fries with their fingers though??
    Hmmm, depends. If I'm at home, I will but at a restaurant, I use a fork.

ReputationRep:
    Or watch videos on YouTube about "roadmen". I just recently found out about the "roadman" phenomena and I must say... it is the absolute most annoying thing ever to have to listen to someone who talks "road" :rofl:
    Any comments from you British folk on this matter? 😂
    Never heard of that term on my life, just seems like it means a stereotypical British Chav/Yob/Scally?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CutieTootsie)
    Just read the d-day posts from last year...

HAHHAAHAHAHHA why am I still following this thread when 80% of interviewees get rejected?!? As if I would even be in the top 20% apparently black-British rarely get in...

What are the chances of me being in the 1% of the top 20%? HAHAHA

Bye bye genius' and future Cambridge students 👋🏾
    Saying "1% of the top 20%" makes it seem a lot worse than it actually is, until you realise that black candidates only make up 2.4% of applicants (this is an issue in itself but not the issue at hand here). Black candidates do have a lower success rate but the disparity isn't as bad as you make out

Besides, your application isn't just random chance, all that matters is how good you are compared to others.

ReputationRep:
    Real life cambridge student here,

I'm bored. Ask me anything you want to know.

ReputationRep:

that's a beautiful picture

Never heard of that term on my life, just seems like it means a stereotypical British Chav/Yob/Scally?
    count yourself lucky you've never heard of roadmen X

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.