Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    I'm not an expert, but I'd expect you're right that they can't make the same comparisons in the absence of GCSE's
    Fair. That's what I guessed would happen. I was probably the only person with it to apply to Cambridge. 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student1256)
    But you have extenuating circumstances! I do come from a school where grades are generally low though and I had the highest AS grade in my entire school, still got rejected... goes to show how difficult it actually is to get into Cambridge. In hindsight I should have somehow mentioned in my application about my gcses being quite amazing for my school but I guess what's done is done now and I musnt have been rejected due to gcses, must have been the admissions test.
    If your school is in England they can see that already. Also it would be fairly standard for that kind of thing to mentioned in your reference, not your PS.

However, even "weak" GCSEs on their own are unlikely to be a cause for deselection.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would highly recommend applying for Girton, as it is The Best College™. But in all seriousness, if you can get A*A*A* I think your GCSE's won't be a cause for concern at any college
    Ahh thank you! That really gives me a lot of motivation! Yeah Girton is really good, I even heard it has a swimming pool, but I'm not the Girton type; it just wouldn't suit me. I like being close to the action and a central college like King's or trinity would be best for me. I felt as if my gcses are too low for those two but I'm starting to gain confidence and think if I get those 3 A*'s I can have a fighting chance, but I don't wanna risk getting rejected again

ReputationRep:
    The GCSE scoring system they use at Cambridge, if you're interested, is based off the best 8 GCSE's - so for me that's 2A* and 6A and for NeverLucky it's just 8A* (got lucky in yr.11, clearly...) then it's 8 points for an A* and 7 for an A and so on, so I'm on 58/64 and NeverLucky is on 64/64. I think what they interested in is your score compared with the average of the school at which you sat your GCSE's, so for my school 58 is probably a pretty decent score.
    Tbh, I just look at that and think it's just further proof that GCSE's are largely irrelevant. Now, there might be a shift towards a great emphasis towards them as less people would be doing AS Levels but tbh they already have a vast amount of data without GCSEs such as AAs and interview performance.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh thank you! That really gives me a lot of motivation! Yeah Girton is really good, I even heard it has a swimming pool, but I'm not the Girton type; it just wouldn't suit me. I like being close to the action and a central college like King's or trinity would be best for me. I felt as if my gcses are too low for those two but I'm starting to gain confidence and think if I get those 3 A*'s I can have a fighting chance, but I don't wanna risk getting rejected again
    yeah I'd recommend hitting up the BMAT as well, because it's super helpful for the NSAA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fablereader)
    Your status was in the mesophere when you popped over to the Oxford thread! Now it's just in the stratosphere.
    You didn't even know me before I popped over to the Oxford thread :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by epsilondelta)
    I'm not sure but the pooling interviews continue into next week so it depends if they're still interviewing for your course at the college I guess!
    Yikes. I don't think this is the case in my scenario (fortunately for my continued sanity)... I can't imagine having to interview next week - the wait would be awful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    If your school is in England they can see that already. Also it would be fairly standard for that kind of thing to mentioned in your reference, not your PS.

However, even "weak" GCSEs on their own are unlikely to be a cause for deselection.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's true, but it might have helped if I had mentioned my grades relatively being quite good. I read my reference and it didn't have anything of the sort on it. I'm not from England either. Yeah I'm gonna get it mentioned on my reference when I reapply, and I don't regret anything now because I know it wouldn't have changed the outcome as what is destined to happen will definitely happen and everything that does happen, happens for a reason. Thanks for all your voluntary help btw (emphasis on voluntary, as it makes you all the more kind)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    You didn't even know me before I popped over to the Oxford thread :lol:
    When you were in the Oxford thread, it automatically goes that high. Leaving it means leaving behind the coolness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fablereader)
    When you were in the Oxford thread, it automatically goes that high. Leaving it means leaving behind the coolness.
    I never said I left it hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniilS)
    Do you realize how cool getting an open offer is?? It's basically a college saying that even if they won't have any place after the summer pool they'll still take you! And you might get accepted by a college that's normally ridiculously oversubscribed if a few people miss their offers!
    Precisely.

My daughter has an open offer and we think it is actually better than a direct offer. Her place at Cambridge is now completely assured (offer results aside), plus she has the added excitement that she could be at any one of the twenty nine undergraduate colleges. What a position to be in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    Tbh, I just look at that and think it's just further proof that GCSE's are largely irrelevant. Now, there might be a shift towards a great emphasis towards them as less people would be doing AS Levels but tbh they already have a vast amount of data without GCSEs such as AAs and interview performance.
    They're really not a big part of a process I totally agree, I think the only situation they're quite interesting is when someone from a pretty bad school does really well, that shows a lot of personal motivation.
    I have a friend from a fairly similar school to mine but in a different part of the country who got 10A*'s and I do think that's a big achievement, but if you get that at a school where it's you and 40 others with 10A*'s it's basically meaningless

ReputationRep:
    They're really not a big part of a process I totally agree, I think the only situation they're quite interesting is when someone from a pretty bad school does really well, that shows a lot of personal motivation.
    I have a friend from a fairly similar school to mine but in a different part of the country who got 10A*'s and I do think that's a big achievement, but if you get that at a school where it's you and 40 others with 10A*'s it's basically meaningless
    Yep, totally agree. Or if there is a clear improvement between GCSE's and AS. A upward trajectory is something that's good to nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by margarete.b)
    I'm in the same position for Jesus, I've heard nothing all day its so frustrating and I have no idea what to do!
    If you haven't already found out, definitely call asap. My friend applied for English at the same college and she didn't get an email or a letter either. But when she called they let her know that she actually did get an offer, there was a problem in post delivery or something.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    The GCSE scoring system they use at Cambridge, if you're interested, is based off the best 8 GCSE's - so for me that's 2A* and 6A and for NeverLucky it's just 8A* (got lucky in yr.11, clearly...) then it's 8 points for an A* and 7 for an A and so on, so I'm on 58/64 and NeverLucky is on 64/64. I think what they interested in is your score compared with the average of the school at which you sat your GCSE's, so for my school 58 is probably a pretty decent score.
    But isnt it quite unlike Cambridge to convert people into a Bunch of numbers as they always say they don't use grading systems like that as they try to form a holistic view. How would they use that number? I am ending up with a 55/64 which doesn't look that bad but compared to a 64/64 is quite so

ReputationRep:
    A hatred lives inside of me for the admissions team at Caius how irresponsible can it be to not warn that they are sending LETTERS to Eu students? And who gets the idea to send letters? Do they know what French post is like? (obviously not..) And then someone said they're actually emailing but at 5.10 pm they had already left office..
    Very nice

ReputationRep:
    But isnt it quite unlike Cambridge to convert people into a Bunch of numbers as they always say they don't use grading systems like that as they try to form a holistic view. How would they use that number? I am ending up with a 55/64 which doesn't look that bad but compared to a 64/64 is quite so
    Well I believe they would just compare that to your schools average, I really think you are putting too much emphasis on GCSE's tho!

ReputationRep:
    I know someone who got rejected with 8A*2A, AAAA at AS, A*A*A*A* prediction. No idea how he interviewed though (he's a bit overconfident as a person).

But like guys, how do we even know how they score it?? How do we know exactly what weight they give to things, particularly when they are absent? How do you compare a lower GCSE/AS/A2 from a worse school to a slightly lower GCSE/AS/A2 to a very marginally worse school? How do you compare interviews between people when the way the questions are answered aren't always going to be the same (esp in humanities)? I'm not saying it's not rigorous, but people do seem to forget that it's human beings running it and that if everyone had the 'secret key' to get in, getting in wouldn't be a challenge at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auburnstar)
    I know someone who got rejected with 8A*2A, AAAA at AS, A*A*A*A* prediction. No idea how he interviewed though (he's a bit overconfident as a person).

But like guys, how do we even know how they score it?? How do we know exactly what weight they give to things, particularly when they are absent? How do you compare a lower GCSE/AS/A2 from a worse school to a slightly lower GCSE/AS/A2 to a very marginally worse school? How do you compare interviews between people when the way the questions are answered aren't always going to be the same (esp in humanities)? I'm not saying it's not rigorous, but people do seem to forget that it's human beings running it and that if everyone had the 'secret key' to get in, getting in wouldn't be a challenge at all.
    What I was saying about GCSE scoring is remembered from the MEAT, how much weight they give to GCSE scores probably differs and I was just saying that on the thread because this guy was worrying a lot about GCSE's, personally I don't think they're too important, I just tried to get good enough GCSE's to get me into 6th form lmao

ReputationRep:
    What I was saying about GCSE scoring is remembered from the MEAT, how much weight they give to GCSE scores probably differs and I was just saying that on the thread because this guy was worrying a lot about GCSE's, personally I don't think they're too important, I just tried to get good enough GCSE's to get me into 6th form lmao
    Yeah, fair enough. I only had one B at GCSE taken in 4 months because it's a requirement for every university to have basic level english and maths and I was taking A2 English so I didn't need a GCSE in it.

I think you're right: the conclusion is that no, they're probably one of the least important factors (except where selecting applicants to interview for eg medicine where it is BMAT + GCSE contextualised). But having good ones help.

To be fair I did get an interview with 1 B at GCSE and AABB at AS (for a course needing AAA) and they only interview people they think stand a 'realistic chance'. So most people wondering whether 4a*3a3b is ok are probably alright xD

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.