The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SteamboatMickey
No idea. I think it depends on how well I do on results day! If I get AAAA-A*AAA I'll go to Durham, if I get A*A*AA-A*A*A*A* I'll reapply to Cam.

I'm counting my EPQ grade in that by the way.

No that makes sense, I'll probably do the same

Thanks for the prompt reply :wink:
Original post by sherlokh
Aww I'm really sorry

Not being fished out is honestly heartbreaking because I was /so/ close and I missed it

It's amazing that they considered you good enough for the university, even if the original college didn't have space for you, and you should still be super proud of that achievement but I can also totally understand how heartbreaking it must be to be so close :frown:

This time last year, I wasn't even sure I wanted to go to university and I definitely didn't care about Oxbridge and had all sorts of misconceptions about it. But then I visited Cambridge and had a complete change of heart and for once in my life, I felt like exciting things were finally happening and I was so driven to get in. Hurts like hell.
Original post by neyscar
It's amazing that they considered you good enough for the university, even if the original college didn't have space for you, and you should still be super proud of that achievement but I can also totally understand how heartbreaking it must be to be so close :frown:

This time last year, I wasn't even sure I wanted to go to university and I definitely didn't care about Oxbridge and had all sorts of misconceptions about it. But then I visited Cambridge and had a complete change of heart and for once in my life, I felt like exciting things were finally happening and I was so driven to get in. Hurts like hell.

I should have known I was gonna get a rejection, my life was going too well, it seemed fake. I know it hurts a lot, but life happens and its sh*t :frown:

Where are you hoping to go now?
I'm going down in my Sherlock T-Shirt so I hope there's a Sherlock loving DOS that will give me a few brownie points :biggrin: thanks guys!!

I'll keep you all updated on here if you want I'll turn it into a mini diary (since nobody else is really doing much on here) and keep you all updated with my travels :tongue: only if you guys want/if I'd be allowed

if not ill do it on my GYG thread :lol:

Please, keep us informed!
Hey @SteamboatMickey! If, in this very hypothetical situation, you don't get into Medwards, would you consider going to Durham or would you re-apply to Cam?

I'm in this really tricky situation where I know it'll probably be for the best if I just resign myself to Durham, but this optimistic part of me thinks I was so close this year and if I apply again to Cambridge next year, I'll get in. I'm so conflicted :frown:

I'm at the point where I would recommend to anyone to take a gap year if they want to have another shot at Cambridge. It's far from a waste of a year and you'll be able to apply again to Durham next year anyway. I think the thing you'd want to consider the most is if you're willing to put yourself through the process again.
I should have known I was gonna get a rejection, my life was going too well, it seemed fake. I know it hurts a lot, but life happens and its sh*t :frown:

Where are you hoping to go now?

Yeah, my interviews seemed way too easy and I was quietly confident but I should've known it wouldn't work out so perfectly. My brain keeps telling me there's still a way in, some sort of exception to the rule or something, and I have to keep snapping myself out of it and accept it's over.

I've got offers from King's College London, Bristol and Royal Holloway. Waiting to hear back from UCL. My top choice at the moment is definitely UCL but it's essentially impossible to get in for English so I'm not counting on it. The other universities don't really excite me and the Cambridge rejection has just made me completely unmotivated for anything. Part of me just doesn't want to deal with the whole uni thing anymore. I dunno, I'm just hoping this feeling passes.

What are your plans?
Original post by NeverLucky
I'm at the point where I would recommend to anyone to take a gap year if they want to have another shot at Cambridge. It's far from a waste of a year and you'll be able to apply again to Durham next year anyway. I think the thing you'd want to consider the most is if you're willing to put yourself through the process again.

Only thing I don't want to redo is the HAA :tongue:
Original post by Student1256
All colleges websites I've been on say they don't give offers based on STEP for Natsci and I think it would be quite a shock to see that

I'm not sure why you're so fixated on doing STEP in your gap year and think it'd help your natural sciences application. It's not relevant to natsci (which is why offers aren't based on STEP) and you'd be better off focusing on things that would be more relevant to your degree/application.

I would also really really advise looking at your application again and the feedback if you got/get any. For example, for me, I know my grades are weak (no GCSE, AABB at AS w circumstances/major change of school system, A*A*AA predictions - which probably looked unrealistic at the time) and that I would be in a stronger position with an actually secure A*A*AA/A*A*A*A. I also know my submitted work was really good because one interviewer praised it highly, so that is not a thing I will worry about if/when I reapply. As for the interview, I can't comment but I messed up the Medieval music portion of things (which to be fair no one applying had even looked at before) and said some stupid things like the wrong key etc which I would have gotten if not nervous/talking so fast. So I can sort of extrapolate things like that over the application, which you will probably be able to as well.

To be fair, it's not guaranteed that Durham will accept you again next year (but it is pretty likely provided you make the offer).
Hey @SteamboatMickey! If, in this very hypothetical situation, you don't get into Medwards, would you consider going to Durham or would you re-apply to Cam?

I'm in this really tricky situation where I know it'll probably be for the best if I just resign myself to Durham, but this optimistic part of me thinks I was so close this year and if I apply again to Cambridge next year, I'll get in. I'm so conflicted :frown:

My advice would be to only take a gap year if you're sure that it won't feel like wasted time even if you happen not to get in on the second try either. If you are then go ahead.
Only thing I don't want to redo is the HAA :tongue:

Yeah hahaha, the waiting around can also be annoying and tedious. No matter what, the day before decisions is always stressful :lol:

Original post by auburnstar
I would also really really advise looking at your application again and the feedback if you got/get any. For example, for me, I know my grades are weak (no GCSE, AABB at AS w circumstances/major change of school system, A*A*AA predictions - which probably looked unrealistic at the time) and that I would be in a stronger position with an actually secure A*A*AA/A*A*A*A. I also know my submitted work was really good because one interviewer praised it highly, so that is not a thing I will worry about if/when I reapply. As for the interview, I can't comment but I messed up the Medieval music portion of things (which to be fair no one applying had even looked at before) and said some stupid things like the wrong key etc which I would have gotten if not nervous/talking so fast. So I can sort of extrapolate things like that over the application, which you will probably be able to as well.

To be fair, it's not guaranteed that Durham will accept you again next year (but it is pretty likely provided you make the offer).

Yeah, I highly suggest to accept your best offer and keep it until results day. That way you'll know what grades you get before you decide you want to reapply to Cambridge knowing it's very rare to recieve an offer from Cambridge if you only just meet the minimum requirements and not exceed them.

Funny story, I had a confirmed offer from ICL on results day which I rejected for another chance at Cambridge. This time around, ICL rejected me but now I've got a Cambridge offer :lol:
Funny story, I had a confirmed offer from ICL on results day which I rejected for another chance at Cambridge. This time around, ICL rejected me but now I've got a Cambridge offer :lol:

I've heard of ICL being like that. xD Oh the irony.
Original post by auburnstar
I've heard of ICL being like that. xD Oh the irony.

Not complaining like, all's well that ends well :rofl:
Original post by neyscar
Ah, ok. I think I was just looking for a way to make myself feel a little better about the situation but looks like I was rejected straight away. Oh well. Sorry you didn't get fished out!

Same, I thought I was close to getting in, but my Caius letter doesn't even mention getting pooled. Just adds insult to injury tbh
Not complaining like, all's well that ends well :rofl:

I just hope I am in your position next year, with 3 A* and lots of hard work. :yep:

Hey, thanks so much for this. Could you tell me a little about your application? Which college did you originally apply and what for? And what about the second time? What advice would you give for someone re considering applying again?
Anyone else apply for English and was rejected like I was? I had an interview at Newnham and thought it went ok, but I'm guessing my AS results (ABBB) werent quite up to scratch. 😂
It's a shame because i expected to do much better in them than i did, and if they were the reason i didn't get an offer ill be annoyed 😂😂 Ah well, i guess I'll have to see what their feedback says.
Original post by neyscar
Yeah, my interviews seemed way too easy and I was quietly confident but I should've known it wouldn't work out so perfectly. My brain keeps telling me there's still a way in, some sort of exception to the rule or something, and I have to keep snapping myself out of it and accept it's over.

I've got offers from King's College London, Bristol and Royal Holloway. Waiting to hear back from UCL. My top choice at the moment is definitely UCL but it's essentially impossible to get in for English so I'm not counting on it. The other universities don't really excite me and the Cambridge rejection has just made me completely unmotivated for anything. Part of me just doesn't want to deal with the whole uni thing anymore. I dunno, I'm just hoping this feeling passes.

What are your plans?

Hoping all the best for your offer from UCL (fingers crossed!)

I'm feeling so unmotivated as well - what's the point now that my dream university rejected me? I'm hoping an offer from Durham will lift my spirits but goddamn they're taking forever
I'm feeling so unmotivated as well - what's the point now that my dream university rejected me?

I felt like this for a while myself. What helped was just focusing on getting the absolute top A-level grades I can get, which would allow me to reapply/keep my options open/try for a year in other places eg US etc. It's not so much that they don't want you (I got the impression that the interviewers want everyone to do well) but that they had X amount of spaces and Y other people with Z qualities/grades/school backgrounds (ie state) etc.
Original post by Zacken
I'm not sure why you're so fixated on doing STEP in your gap year and think it'd help your natural sciences application. It's not relevant to natsci (which is why offers aren't based on STEP) and you'd be better off focusing on things that would be more relevant to your degree/application.

Maths is relevant to Natural Sciences and doing STEP questions undoubtedly makes you better at maths. I'm on a gap year with an unconditional offer for NatSci and I've found STEP I to be a useful resource, even though I'm (most likely) not going to sit the exam.

Latest

Trending

Trending