Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by auburnstar)
    I just hope I am in your position next year, with 3 A* and lots of hard work. :yep:
    I wish you good luck, there's a good chance I'll be sticking around next year helping out next year's applicants.

(Original post by sherlokh)
    Hey, thanks so much for this. Could you tell me a little about your application? Which college did you originally apply and what for? And what about the second time? What advice would you give for someone re considering applying again?
    Originally applied to Christ's for NatSci. I was pooled but ultimately rejected. I managed to get an offer to do a year in industry so I decided on results day to decline my ICL offer and reapply knowing I had the grades. I applied to ChemEng via NatSci at King's this time around (though I might end up sticking with NatSci depending on how the first year goes).
    I think my main advice to reapplicants is to just enjoy your gap year. A year of no exams. Yes, try your best with the admissions assessment and interviews but at the same time, don't spend your time learning complex theories and ideas hoping to impress your interviewers. Instead, invest time in things you want to do that you've never had time to do before. A new sport? A new instrument? A new hobby? Literally anything that isn't academically intensive; there's plenty of time for that at university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    Yeah tbh it's unlikely but it's not completely out of the question. For example, my friend said she was sitting STEP for CompSci and has an offer based on STEP 2 and 3 even though they usually only hand out STEP 1 offers. The colleges can hand out any offer they want basically.
    If this was for CompSci with the 50% maths option in the first year, it's normal practice for offers to include STEP II and III.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sherlokh)
    jneill What's the protocol for asking for feedback if you got rejected?

Severely considering reapplying next year? Do you have any statistics about reapplication? How many are successful etc?

thanks in advance
    You need to ask your college for feedback. Most colleges tell you how either on their website or in the rejection letter. I don't have any specific stats to hand but it is certainly true that reapplicants have a higher success rate - especially if they exceed the typical requirements.

(Original post by neyscar)
    If you got pooled, but were unsuccessful, would the original college mention this or not necessarily? Thanks.
    Yes, your original should mention your were unsuccessfully pooled.

(Original post by theamazingone)
    I got an offer from a different college to the one I applied to... but in the letter they didn't mention that I had been pooled :/ for those of you who were pooled, did the letter specifically state that you had been pooled?
    It's obvious you were pooled if you got an offer from a different college
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liziepie)
    Or down - us northerners do exist you know
    Even northerners go up to Cambridge. It's a "thing"...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forecast)
    If this was for CompSci with the 50% maths option in the first year, it's normal practice for offers to include STEP II and III.
    It was for the 75% CompSci option I'm pretty sure.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    obviously, the game will be on once I board that mainline train. Really needed the pep talk so thanks Jneill :hugs:
    It's not a game anymore.

It is what it is.

etc...

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    It's not a game anymore.

It is what it is.

etc...

Not my division

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankenstein394)
    Im also an English reject 😐
    Which college did you apply to?
    PS I love The Bell Jar 😂💖
    Maybe Newnham, if she's (he?) female. That's where Plath went!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chun_ni)
    Hi, I've emailed admissions today as I still hadn't received anything by post and I got an automated reply saying that all decision letter were send by first class. I'm scared that the mail guy might have delivered it to the wrong house as it is happened before.

Admission isn't going to be available until Monday. What should I do? Should I call in or just wait?

Thank you
    Unfortunately, if Admissions is shut for the weekend and you haven't got a letter there really is nothing more to do. It's horrible advice, but just relax and wait for Monday. I really wouldn't stress and see if you can find something to distract yourself! Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Infested)
    Maybe Newnham, if she's (he?) female. That's where Plath went!
    Thats what i was hoping! Because I applied to Newnham too 😂
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Even northerners go up to Cambridge. It's a "thing"...
    going up to cambridge from durham tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankenstein394)
    Thats what i was hoping! Because I applied to Newnham too 😂
    Haha, I think Plath is a favourite of many younger students, even those who don't fully appreciate her craftsmanship, because her confessional poetry is one of the first they feel they can identify with.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    I'm at the point where I would recommend to anyone to take a gap year if they want to have another shot at Cambridge. It's far from a waste of a year and you'll be able to apply again to Durham next year anyway. I think the thing you'd want to consider the most is if you're willing to put yourself through the process again.
    Yup. And only if you exceed the typical offer.

Gap years are a good thing.

This time around, ICL rejected me
    eejits

ReputationRep:
    I'm at that stage where I'm entertaining the idea of reapplying for HSPS - don't know if this is a good thing. Hmmm...

I can't wait until I start studying at Durham, because by then it will be too late to apply. It would only be in the circumstance that I decide econ isn't for me (before actually doing econ) and I have A*A*A+.

I'm really looking forward to Durham, don't get me wrong, but rejection (like with many) is making me question subject choice.

For a gap year, I guess I could work for an MP or/and help out at a school with politics and history.

I just feel like I would be heavily judged by school and by my teachers reapplying and asking for references

ReputationRep:
    Not liking this feeling though. I'm questioning everything.

ReputationRep:
    Yup. And only if you exceed the typical offer.

Gap years are a good thing.

eejits
    This could potentially be the best year of my life so far

ICL seem to give off more of an elitst vibe than Oxbridge :lol: tbf it's not completely unwarranted hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamestg)
    I'm at that stage where I'm entertaining the idea of reapplying for HSPS - don't know if this is a good thing. Hmmm...

I can't wait until I start studying at Durham, because by then it will be too late to apply. It would only be in the circumstance that I decide econ isn't for me (before actually doing econ) and I have A*A*A+.

I'm really looking forward to Durham, don't get me wrong, but rejection (like with many) is making me question subject choice.

For a gap year, I guess I could work for an MP or/and help out at a school with politics and history.

I just feel like I would be heavily judged by school and by my teachers reapplying and asking for references
    Can't tell you what you need to be thinking, but don't worry about judgement from your teachers!! If it's right for you, it's right for them.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:

Not liking this feeling though. I'm questioning everything.
    James, 7 stages of grief...

Give yourself some time. Don't doubt yourself.

And then you'll love Durham. Keep the Cambridge option for postgrad.

ReputationRep:

Honestly, I know exactly the feeling 100%. Before I got rejected, I thought it won't really matter cos I'll have a great time doing Chemistry at ICL. After the rejection, I started questioning my choice in the subject. In a way, I kinda said I wanted to study Chemical Engineering as an excuse to reapply to Cambridge. Don't get me wrong, I'm interested in it but I don't think I would have doubted my subject choice the first time round if I didn't get rejected.

Also, it's absolutely fine to ask your teachers for another reference. They should support your decisions. I don't see why they'd look down on you wanting to achieve the best future you can.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, I know exactly the feeling 100%. Before I got rejected, I thought it won't really matter cos I'll have a great time doing Chemistry at ICL. After the rejection, I started questioning my choice in the subject. In a way, I kinda said I wanted to study Chemical Engineering as an excuse to reapply to Cambridge. Don't get me wrong, I'm interested in it but I don't think I would have doubted my subject choice the first time round if I didn't get rejected.

Also, it's absolutely fine to ask your teachers for another reference. They should support your decisions. I don't see why they'd look down on you wanting to achieve the best future you can.
    tbh I'm still unsure about my subject choice - that's why I wanted to do natural sciences so badly, because of the choice and freedom you get I'm not too sure about HSPS but I think it has the same amount of choice on the humanities side, so definitely something to think about

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.