Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    I *think* it was possible to apply to both in his days.
    I'll have to check with a member of our family who was there same time as Hawkins was there (also doing PhD physics at the time)......and remembers seeing him few times walking with a stick.
    He'd been to other uni in US for his masters between those period, so .whether he remembers how the admissions system for Oxbridge undergraduate courses was like such a long time ago is.........????..
    My husband even couldn't even remember whether he applied through ucas or it was before they joined ucas!!
    They joined UCCA (the forerunner to UCAS) in '66. So I'm pretty certain from '66 onwards you couldn't apply to both. But prior to that I'm not so sure.

Maybe cambio wechsel knows?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    They joined UCCA (the forerunner to UCAS) in '66. So I'm pretty certain from '66 onwards you couldn't apply to both. But prior to that I'm not so sure.

Maybe cambio wechsel knows?
    Is the rule for limiting the application to Oxbridge related to them joining UCCA? Do you know?

Edit:
    Dr.Wiki told me he graduated from Oxford in 1962, so it was before UCCA day.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Is the rule for limiting the application to Oxbridge related to them joining UCCA? Do you know?
    I think it was one of their (i.e. Oxbridge's) conditions before they agreed to joining it. .

ReputationRep:
    I think it was one of their (i.e. Oxbridge's) conditions before they agreed to joining it. .
    Ok. Thanks.

Seen my edit?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    :hugs: here's my story about my last few days, perhaps it may help things

I have been thinking quite a lot about my rejection in the past few days, it's why I tried to decrease my participation in TSR because whenever I came on here, and posted in the Oxford or Cambridge thread, it reminded me of my inadequacies. But yesterday after a long period of reflection, I felt better and the sting is starting to fade away. (also why I am still awake because I have essays to write )

I asked myself: What attracted me to Oxford in the first place? was it the intellectual challenge (maybe)? the prestige of the institution (definitely not)? was it the course (yes)? Then I asked myself, what did I like about Oxford? what did I dislike about Oxford? In which institutions can I find things that I liked about Oxford? and can I see myself in my other choices?

I asked the same things about my other choices, why did I apply there in the first place? Where I wanted to go? and what I wanted to do?

I came to the conclusion that I really did not really know what I wanted to do. I rushed my application 2-3 weeks before the deadline (for other reasons that would make this post too long) and I didn't research my other choices properly. The only choice that I was sure of was my course at Oxford. As a result, I didn't make an informed decision about my other 4 choices.

If I never got rejected, I never would have thought about all these things as a self-reflection. I realised that I shouldn't have rushed in head first without finding myself a path if my first choice went awry. Perhaps taking a gap year would help me make more informed decisions about where/what I want to study. It will definitely give me more time than 2-3 weeks to research universities and courses.

If you really are getting doubts about university not being for you, perhaps taking a gap year would not be such a bad idea! If upon reflection you think that being at Cambridge for undergraduate is still the place you want to be, then reapply

:hugs: have faith in yourself you got an interview from Cambridge, one of the top institutions in the world! Don't think about a second rejection when you haven't tried it yet

You still have a lot of time to think focus on your exams and get the grades, if you do then consider reapplication in the summer.
    ffs even with your decreased activity on here it still doesn't let me rep you
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by Rachel58)
    x
    I am in a similar position actually.

I have never been the best in my school and I never will be. A lot of my friends are participating in overseas competitions for chess, maths, science etc... and doing really well in them as well. Many of my friends got near full scores in SATs and SAT 2s and they mock me for being bad at maths and not getting full scores or high scores on tests that they find "easy" . When I participate in competitions individually, I have never won first place before, second or third maybe, but never first. For example in last year's national history bee competition, I got second place because I choked and got 5/5 of the last questions wrong to gift my opponent first place. I have never gotten a main part in theatre and this year, my school's director told me I wasn't suited to be on the stage, but I was more suited to be a director. I have thought to myself time and again (as recently as Friday actually, when I performed poorly in an impromptu drama performance), why are the odds in life always against me? why can't I get into somewhere that I really wanted to go to/ have for once in my life!

But I tell myself to remember this, my hard work does mean something! 10 or 20 years from now, I will look back at this and see this rejection as only a small part in my life perhaps it would be an important part but somehow I doubt it will be. Rachel, getting the second highest GCSE grades in your grammar school is a great achievement if nobody else would recognise it, I would (perhaps this doesn't mean much as I am a stranger on the internet). It shows that you are a hardworking girl with great potential to succeed. Same with applying and being good enough to get an interview from Cambridge- Trinity College as a matter of fact! Maybe you won't get a tangible reward right now for all your hard work, but a few years from now, you'll be happy that you did that work and you'll be successful at whatever you want to do in your life because of that hard work

I believe that if I continue to work hard and get the grades and experience life to its fullest, I can succeed! and I believe you can do the same.

You shall be telling this with a sigh Somewhere ages and ages hence:
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and you took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Edit:
    Dr.Wiki told me he graduated from Oxford in 1962, so it was before UCCA day.
    Yes I know. Hence why I'm not 100% sure if the rule was already in place (or could be policed). But according to his autobiography he only applied to Oxford.

"MY FATHER WAS VERY KEEN THAT I SHOULD GO TO Oxford or Cambridge. He himself had gone to University College, Oxford, so he thought I should apply there, because I would have a greater chance of getting in."

• Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

My wild guess?
    I'll be getting out of this forum before ATs in this thread rushing in to tell me off how wrong my post is!!
    It seemed logical to me

(Original post by daniilS)
    ffs even with your decreased activity on here it still doesn't let me rep you
    Hahaha you rep too little people you should rep people more

ReputationRep:
    It seemed logical to me

Hahaha you rep too little people you should rep people more
    Haha no it's not the PRSOM thing it's where I've repped you too recently

I get it with everyone though :rofl:
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Haha no it's not the PRSOM thing it's where I've repped you too recently

I get it with everyone though :rofl:
    Because you rep the same people

I rep many different users

ReputationRep:
    Because you rep the same people

I rep many different users
    So do I! PRSOM means you always two the same people (haven't gotten that one in a while), the "you have already repped this person recently" or something similar happens when you rep many different people but still do it too often, iirc

ReputationRep:
    I applied through UCCA in 1974 and am fairly sure that we were only allowed to apply to either Oxford or Cambridge.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

So do I! PRSOM means you always two the same people (haven't gotten that one in a while), the "you have already repped this person recently" or something similar happens when you rep many different people but still do it too often, iirc
    Meh :rofl:

Semantics... pshh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie Leconte)
    Can you that if you have an offer?
    Yes you can. In fact, this applies to any organisation which holds your personal data.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    I applied through UCCA in 1974 and am fairly sure that we were only allowed to apply to either Oxford or Cambridge.
    PRSOM.

But we need a proper oldie from pre-66
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So I'm guessing I need to get out of my room by 9am tomorrow

Where do I put my stuff? Left it in a friends room at Selwyn

ReputationRep:
    PRSOM.

But we need a proper oldie from pre-66
    Older than me = senile or dead.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At the moment I'm thinking about reapplying - not certain, just a possibility. I was just wondering whether they would look at the notes they made about the interviews I've already done the next time I apply or whether they would start from scratch when considering me. I'm asking because I blurted out a bit too much information in one of my interviews and implied I couldn't handle huge workloads because it made me not enjoy the subject (woops ) and I know I didn't really mean what I was saying but I just couldn't shut myself up. I feel like if they already have this information down about me, then they definitely wouldn't bother accepting me the next time I apply.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Older than me = senile or dead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Harsh. But fair.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    So I'm guessing I need to get out of my room by 9am tomorrow

Where do I put my stuff? Left it in a friends room at Selwyn
    Ask the porters. There will be somewhere.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.