Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Ask the porters. There will be somewhere.
    I'll ask 'em tomorrow
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neyscar)
    At the moment I'm thinking about reapplying - not certain, just a possibility. I was just wondering whether they would look at the notes they made about the interviews I've already done the next time I apply or whether they would start from scratch when considering me. I'm asking because I blurted out a bit too much information in one of my interviews and implied I couldn't handle huge workloads because it made me not enjoy the subject (woops ) and I know I didn't really mean what I was saying but I just couldn't shut myself up. I feel like if they already have this information down about me, then they definitely wouldn't bother accepting me the next time I apply.
    No. If you were unsuccessful your application is deleted and files destroyed at the end of the cycle. But they might remember you which is one reason why they recommend applying to a different college.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    No. If you were unsuccessful your application is deleted and files destroyed at the end of the cycle. But they might remember you which is one reason why they recommend applying to a different college.
    Ahh, ok. Presumably I would also have to retake the admissions test (ELAT)?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neyscar)
    Ahh, ok. Presumably I would also have to retake the admissions test (ELAT)?
    Yes.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by delto99)
    Hi I'm not too sure who to address this to but I was recently rejected for Law and it doesn't seem like I was pooled. This I find confusing because I have 11A* in my international equivalent GCSE and 6A* 2A at our equivalent AS with predicted 8A* at A2... my interviews weren't a complete disaster at all and I thought that if my grades were this good I'd surly be pooled at the least? I really don't want to come across as bitter but does this seem odd? jneill
    Ask your college for feedback.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Good luck SteamboatMickey only staying on this thread to see if you get an offer. Don't think they'd dare to reject you with whole of TSR rooting for you. My son is licking his wounds from a rejection but has 4 other great offers and I guess Cambridge isn't right for everyone but I truly believe from your passion that it is right for you. Sending you good luck from all the mums on TSR. Go wow them with your Mickey Mouse rucksack and Sherlock T shirt at least they'll know who you are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    They have another internal ranking (not available for public to see) which uses more sophisticated/complex methodology than Tomkins (which is very simple) and more accurate indication of their academic standing among colleges. So yes, the existence of those kind of rankings would certainky give incentive to the colleges to improve, but also they have the pooling system at the time of admission which makes sure the university as a whole get most able students no matter which college they apply to once you get in.
    Also all the teachings (including supervision, except for the first year, and practicals, etc.) are centralised and done at the department, not at each college, so effect on learning between colleges is really negligible.
    I have been watching some YouTube videos ie Jack Wright and similar. At one point Jack explained how the supervisions are arranged and mentioned that it is the DoS who finds the supervisors and pays them. This leads to conclude that it'll all depend on the college's budget and allocation.

http://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2016/...owdown-2-70321
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OutThere!)
    Sending you good luck from all the mums on TSR. Go wow them with your Mickey Mouse rucksack and Sherlock T shirt at least they'll know who you are!
    And Dads!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    SteamboatMickey Best of luck and all the best, I am hoping you'll be :crown::crown: with an offer on the spot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Older than me = senile or dead.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    We have proper oldie in our family John Braunholtz fellow of Trinity for Chemistry developed a fertiliser for ICI think he was there in 60s or before as in his 80s now!
    Will ask him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie Leconte)
    I have been watching some YouTube videos ie Jack Wright and similar. At one point Jack explained how the supervisions are arranged and mentioned that it is the DoS who finds the supervisors and pays them. This leads to conclude that it'll all depend on the college's budget and allocation.

Is that how suoervisions for maths works???
    Other courses I know of is very different.
    It's only the supervisions in your first year that's pre-arranged by your DoS, but for the second year onwards you sign up to supervisors who are relevant to your tripos papers yourself, not by your DoS. You don't always get a supervisor you want as some of them can be oversubscribed if it's a popular tripos choice, but I've never heard of your college's DoS paying their students' supervisions.....

I think we both need to find out how it really works from more reliable source of info than one 'celeb student blogger' ......

ReputationRep:
    Will UCAS send a mail if you get an offer?

ReputationRep:
    SteamboatMickey Best of luck and all the best, I am hoping you'll be :crown::crown: with an offer on the spot.
    Another mum vote of confidence - even from the Other Place - go SMASH IT!

ReputationRep:

Btw the the article you linked to......
    That's quite sub-standard even for the tab's ......
    You'd be better off reading their articles with a huge pinch of salt. It's the tab......
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student73290)
    Track will update soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Is that how suoervisions for maths works???
    Other courses I know of is very different.
    It's only the supervisions in your first year that's pre-arranged by your DoS, but for the second year onwards you sign up to supervisors who are relevant to your tripos papers yourself, not by your DoS. You don't always get a supervisor you want as some of them can be oversubscribed if it's a popular tripos choice, but I've never heard of your college's DoS paying their students' supervisions.....

I think we both need to find out how it really works from more reliable source of info than one 'celeb student blogger' ......
    Jack was a compsci student so I have no idea about Maths or any other subject, that's why I am asking.

ReputationRep:
    Jack was a compsci student so I have no idea about Maths or any other subject, that's why I am asking.
    Whatever......

Need more reliable source.
    And also I really very much doubt the budget colleges use on each student for purely acedemic purpose is so different from college to college. The university has a system that colleges with more financial resources pay in into the fund so that enough money is transferred to colleges with lesser financial resources, so that can fund the education of their students sufficiently. The system is there to ensure financial status of colleges would not affect the quality of education they receive.

Honestly, never heard of anyone talking about students at 'richer colleges' get better supervisors because their DoS have more money to pay.....
    Nor have I noticed such a case among the people (at many colleges) I've known.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rachel58)
    I'm very glad it worked out for you Sadly, I do not want to take a gap year, nor do I want to go through the process again for the same outcome - I put a lot into my application, and I doubt my motivation would survive doing so again.
    People always hesitate about reapplying but:

Best case scenario: get an unconditional offer cause you've already sat exams at this point, spend 13 pounds on UCAS and whatever it is to travel to Cambridge/Oxford
    Worse case scenario: one year older when you start uni

ReputationRep:
    Ha-me too! Good luck to you tomorrow, I'm sure you'll be successful!

(Original post by OutThere!)
    Good luck SteamboatMickey only staying on this thread to see if you get an offer. Don't think they'd dare to reject you with whole of TSR rooting for you. My son is licking his wounds from a rejection but has 4 other great offers and I guess Cambridge isn't right for everyone but I truly believe from your passion that it is right for you. Sending you good luck from all the mums on TSR. Go wow them with your Mickey Mouse rucksack and Sherlock T shirt at least they'll know who you are!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by student73290)
    You'll get an e-mail notifying you of a Track update, but, UCAS never send letters in the post. Everything is done online.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.