The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gold-Confetti
It's actually painful haha, I need this out of the way now I'm just done with not knowing since October. Plus I need some sort of gauge of how much of my life I need to sign over to revision in the next few months 😂

Don't mean to butt in but this is me right now. So done! :s-smilie:
Original post by auburnstar
Assuming I don't get high grades and decide to reapply, the statistic for Durham doesn't look reassuring xDD

Wut? But what was the offer rate for your undergrad course at Oxford? It was Music wasn't it... so that's got an undergrad success rate of 36% (according to Oxford data). Similar to the Cambridge masters success rate.

Did that put you off applying to Oxford? No. Should it put you off going to Durham, and later applying to Cambridge? No.

BUT, interestingly if I filter my data just for applicants to MPhil in Music Studies from Durham, the success rate improves to 57.1%.

(And no before anyone asks I'm not doing this for everyone :smile: )
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Top 30 by Offer Success Rate for applicants to Cambridge Masters courses
(universities with at least 100 applicants in the last 4 years)
# University - Offer Rate
1 Cambridge 76.1%
2 MIT 73.0%
3 Princeton 70.9%
4 Harvard 62.9%
5 Brown 62.6%
6 Stanford 58.8%
7 Oxford 53.4%
8 U Pennsylvania 51.8%
9 Melbourne 51.4%
10 Columbia 50.6%
11 Chicago 50.0%
12 Sydney 49.2%
13 Trinity College Dublin 48.7%
14 National University of Singapore 47.8%
15 New York University 46.0%
16 Cape Town 44.7%
17 Cornell 44.0%
18 UC Berkeley 43.5%
19 St Andrews 42.6%
20 McGill 42.0%
21 KCL 41.1%
22 Edinburgh 40.4%
23 Sussex 39.6%
24 SOAS 38.3%
25 UCL 37.3%
26 Durham 37.2%
27 British Columbia 34.4%
28 Newcastle 34.1%
29 Imperial 33.5%
30 Leeds 33.5%

Almost guaranteed a masters at Cambridge if i make my grades.
Wonderful!
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Had a lovely little chat with a certain Admissions Tutor

A*A*A with an A* in History :biggrin: OFFER!

CONGRATULATIONS, SO PLEASED FOR YOU!!
Original post by Murray Edwards Admissions
Quite a few Cambridge Colleges (Clare, Pembroke for instance) were called Halls until the 19th century before 'college' became standard and they were renamed as such.

And then Peterhouse is just like Idgaf :cool:
Hi guys! Got my rejection from St Catz for Law last week. Gutted, but life goes on.

I wanted to ask that if the email says that they 'will send feedback to the ucas referee,' does this mean I don't have to request the feedback?
Original post by jneill
1 Cambridge 76.1%
2 MIT 73.0%
3 Princeton 70.9%
4 Harvard 62.9%
5 Brown 62.6%
6 Stanford 58.8%
7 Oxford 53.4%
8 U Pennsylvania 51.8%
9 Melbourne 51.4%
10 Columbia 50.6%
11 Chicago 50.0%
12 Sydney 49.2%
16 Cape Town 44.7%
17 Cornell 44.0%
18 UC Berkeley 43.5%
19 St Andrews 42.6%
20 McGill 42.0%
21 KCL 41.1%
22 Edinburgh 40.4%
23 Sussex 39.6%
24 SOAS 38.3%
25 UCL 37.3%
26 Durham 37.2%
28 Newcastle 34.1%
29 Imperial 33.5%
30 Leeds 33.5%

Coool :tongue:

Maybe I should have applied to the US or I should go to Melbourne :wink:

Spoiler

Original post by jneill
1 Cambridge 76.1%
2 MIT 73.0%
3 Princeton 70.9%
4 Harvard 62.9%
5 Brown 62.6%
6 Stanford 58.8%
7 Oxford 53.4%
8 U Pennsylvania 51.8%
9 Melbourne 51.4%
10 Columbia 50.6%
11 Chicago 50.0%
12 Sydney 49.2%
16 Cape Town 44.7%
17 Cornell 44.0%
18 UC Berkeley 43.5%
19 St Andrews 42.6%
20 McGill 42.0%
21 KCL 41.1%
22 Edinburgh 40.4%
23 Sussex 39.6%
24 SOAS 38.3%
25 UCL 37.3%
26 Durham 37.2%
28 Newcastle 34.1%
29 Imperial 33.5%
30 Leeds 33.5%

May I ask you where I can find these stats? I am interested in them by subject/field.
Original post by epsilondelta
I actually really liked the feel of St. Edmund's today more so than Wolfson and having looked online I really like Hughes Hall's guest nights and family nights (so cute) so fingers crossed for either :redface:

Did you manage to visit Hughes Hall? Cause I'm always wanting to know more about what people's impressions of it are :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Maths.
May I ask you where I can find these stats? I am interested in them by subject/field.

It was from an FOI request he linked to one or two pages back.

I like your username, very simple :biggrin:
Original post by jneill
Wut? But what was the offer rate for your undergrad course at Oxford? It was Music wasn't it... so that's got an undergrad success rate of 36% (according to Oxford data). Similar to the Cambridge masters success rate.

Did that put you off applying to Oxford? No. Should it put you off going to Durham, and later applying to Cambridge? No.

BUT, interestingly if I filter my data just for applicants to MPhil in Music Studies from Durham, the success rate improves to 57.1%.

(And no before anyone asks I'm not doing this for everyone :smile: )

Fair enough xD I hadn't realised that. Thank you for doing that, it makes me feel a bit better <3
Original post by wolfmoon88
Coool :tongue:

Maybe I should have applied to the US or I should go to Melbourne :wink:

Spoiler

TCD too :smile:

Original post by auburnstar
Fair enough xD I hadn't realised that. Thank you for doing that, it makes me feel a bit better <3

That's good :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maths.

Original post by Infested
It was from an FOI request he linked to one or two pages back.

I like your username, very simple :biggrin:

The FOI is rather hard to use. I'll post up a link to my consolidated spreadsheet later when I get a chance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gold-Confetti
Oh me too! Jesus did they actually accept anyone or did they pool their entire pile of law applicants because I've seen about 5 people who were pooled by them but no one who actually got in 😂

Holy crap, haha!! I wonder if it's typical for this many for a subject to get pooled from a single college... At least they didn't outright reject us😅😅
Original post by papertown
Hi guys! Got my rejection from St Catz for Law last week. Gutted, but life goes on.

I wanted to ask that if the email says that they 'will send feedback to the ucas referee,' does this mean I don't have to request the feedback?

Sorry to hear about your rejection. :frown:
Original post by Maths.

Here's the raw consolidated data plus a summary sheet
(be aware it's a large file with nearly 41,000 rows and 4 years worth of data from 2012/13 to 2015/16):
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14SoMUzsS6SbB4joQO3f4wd5XIagpOBRBmpAivx-GQH0/edit?usp=sharing

Original source: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/masters_applications_2

@wolfmoon88
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Infested
Did you manage to visit Hughes Hall? Cause I'm always wanting to know more about what people's impressions of it are :tongue:

I did visit Hughes too! I found it quite laid back and friendly, there was a good mix of people there and when I got there lunch was pretty raucous haha. I think it's nice looking. I really hope they give me an offer :colondollar:
Original post by epsilondelta
I did visit Hughes too! I found it quite laid back and friendly, there was a good mix of people there and when I got there lunch was pretty raucous haha. I think it's nice looking. I really hope they give me an offer :colondollar:

That sounds great, thanks! Hope you get your offer too, the mature colleges seem so underrepresented here :smile:
nothing in the post today either... is anyone planning on contacting Selwyn and asking them when/how they plan on letting us know??
Original post by somebodyelse98
nothing in the post today either... is anyone planning on contacting Selwyn and asking them when/how they plan on letting us know??

Re-interviewee? If so, give it another day or two.
If a direct applicant, maybe it's a good idea to give them a ring and ask.

Latest

Trending

Trending