Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!!! I'm doing a talk to the year 12s this Thursday all about Cambridge admissions and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions of the kinds of things I should mention to the year 12s? What would you liked to have known back this time last year?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for everyone being so fab!! Will eventually find my way past the thread but got some updating and studying to do
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue2337)
    Hey guys!!! I'm doing a talk to the year 12s this Thursday all about Cambridge admissions and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions of the kinds of things I should mention to the year 12s? What would you liked to have known back this time last year?
    For one thing, send them to the Cambridge forum on TSR !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Had a lovely little chat with a certain Admissions Tutor

A*A*A with an A* in History OFFER!
    "Please rate some other members before rating this member again."
    Congratulations!!!

ReputationRep:
    Name:  moriarity.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  14.6 KB
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewinelake)
    Name:  moriarity.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  14.6 KB
    Me when I found out about my Cambridge offer

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Ah! Yes, my one was also supposed to be animated...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Ah! Yes, my one was also supposed to be animated...
    Go to the image insert button and do it via the URL instead of a computer file

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    So I told the Oxbridge co-ordinator about the phone call and he almost dropped his mug of tea on the floor. Never seen a guy so shocked in my life!! My 6th form haven't had a good year for Oxbridge compared to previous years.

He also said that it's people like me who make his job worthwhile and it's been a pleasure to get to know me :cry2:
    idk if I told u yet but CONGRAAAAATS again! We all knew you could do it!!!
    ikr the offer conditions have terrified me - you got A*A*A right? I always knew that was the most likely offer I was going to get for sciences, but now that I actually have it, the thought of missing it terrifies me :afraid:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liziepie)
    idk if I told u yet but CONGRAAAAATS again! We all knew you could do it!!!
    ikr the offer conditions have terrified me - you got A*A*A right? I always knew that was the most likely offer I was going to get for sciences, but now that I actually have it, the thought of missing it terrifies me :afraid:
    THANK YOU!

Same! That's why I'm going to start revising so early (next week) and the week after next I'm going to start staying back on Thursdays until about 6 or 7 to study/do coursework/etc etc. I have to have some big fillings next Thursday so I can't do it then (so worried I hate the dentist) but after that the game is on. (Yeah, I can't stop quoting Sherlock now).

I don't want to miss it either! Pretty terrified of missing it, especially because of the unpredictability of humanities subjects

ReputationRep:
    Here's another one that isn't animated...
    Name:  me.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  62.6 KB
    DON'T MISS THE OFFER!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    here's another one that isn't animated...
    don't miss the offer!
    I think... I think that I am traumatised now

That is fabulous though!!

• Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Now that nearly all the decisions are in I can reveal the results of my small survey of the pre-admissions assessments and the final outcomes. Caveat: the sample size is small, was self-selecting, and was only TSR sourced... also CORRELATION =/= CAUSATION!

That said, your opinion of how well you did in the AAs has a "weak" positive correlation (0.45) with getting an Offer. This compares with "zero" correlation for interview performance (cf. my 2016 analysis).

And here's the chart

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 21.36.26.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  69.8 KB

The average "score" for Offer holders was 63%, and for Rejections was 51%. NB. the score was taken as a combination of Section 1 & 2 equally weighted. This may or may not be how colleges use the AAs.

The chart has candidates who took AMESAA, GAA, HAA, ENGAA, NSCAA, ECAA or HSPSAA.

NeverLucky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue2337)
    GCSE's are of minimal importance
    High grades in every A level exam is not necessary, but obviously it is necessary to have at least some high scores to demonstrate potential
    The interview matters a lot, but isn't the be all and end all
    The interviewee is a terrible (or at least highly inconsistent) judge of how the interview went
    Interviews do not have to be perfect to be considered good by those who opinions matter
    Vocalise your thoughts in the interview, your thought process is what they're interested in
    The admissions assessments are hard and a lot of offer holders (wrongly) thought they'd killed their chances in the exam hall

I'm sure you've thought of some of these already as they're quite cliche but I kinda wish I had knew this stuff..

ReputationRep:
    Do we feel there was an element of fear in the admission tutor's decision... they knew if you didn't get in half of studentroom would be there tomorrow knocking his door down

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Here's another one that isn't animated...
    DON'T MISS THE OFFER!
    :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Hold on: that's my first car parked outside!
    Seriously - I had a blue Ford Fiesta exactly like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    For one thing, send them to the Cambridge forum on TSR !
    blue2337 and this for sure! I mean it's probably less of a problem for people still at school with Oxbridge friends but this forum has been pretty great for me as I don't know any other Oxbridge or STEM applicants in real life so it's been really good for talking to other applicants as well as giving me most of my knowledge of the Cambridge application process and pastoral support

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Now that nearly all the decisions are in I can reveal the results of my small survey of the pre-admissions assessments and the final outcomes. Caveat: the sample size is small, was self-selecting, and was only TSR sourced... also CORRELATION =/= CAUSATION!

That said, your opinion of how well you did in the AAs has a "weak" but positive correlation (0.45) with the final decision. This compares with "zero" correlation for interview performance (cf. my 2016 analysis).

And here's the chart

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 21.36.26.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  69.8 KB

The average "score" for Offer holders was 63%, and for Rejections was 51%. NB. the score was taken as a combination of Section 1 & 2 equally weighted. This may or may not be how colleges use the AAs.
    Exciting times, pretty easy to spot myself as it seems I was one of the few to give myself a round score lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Do I put my original college or my new college on the decision survey?

ReputationRep:
    I am considering take Cambridge as my firm and give up the choice for insurance, so it provides me some motivation to work hard for A level rather than spending all my time on TSR.

Spoiler:
    Show

Anyone wondering what will be like if we applied to The Other Place at the beginning? Or am I the only one who afraid of the tripos

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.