Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    Now that nearly all the decisions are in I can reveal the results of my small survey of the pre-admissions assessments and the final outcomes. Caveat: the sample size is small, was self-selecting, and was only TSR sourced... also CORRELATION =/= CAUSATION! That said, your opinion of how well you did in the AAs has a "weak" but positive correlation (0.45) with the final decision. This compares with "zero" correlation for interview performance (cf. my 2016 analysis). And here's the chart The average "score" for Offer holders was 63%, and for Rejections was 51%. NB. the score was taken as a combination of Section 1 & 2 equally weighted. This may or may not be how colleges use the AAs.
    Woo!! Thanks so much :-)

(Original post by k.russell)
    Exciting times, pretty easy to spot myself as it seems I was one of the few to give myself a round score lol
    Don't even remember what my score was tbh :lol:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cogito.)
    I am considering take Cambridge as my firm and give up the choice for insurance, so it provides me some motivation to work hard for A level rather than spending all my time on TSR.

Spoiler:
    Show

Anyone wondering what will be like if we applied to The Other Place at the beginning? Or am I the only one who afraid of the tripos

My form tutor wants me to firm Cambridge (obviously I am) and either give up all my other choices, or insure Manchester. My original plan was to firm Cambridge and insure Durham though...
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    Do I put my original college or my new college on the decision survey?
    domaths ?

ReputationRep:
    I am considering take Cambridge as my firm and give up the choice for insurance, so it provides me some motivation to work hard for A level rather than spending all my time on TSR.

Spoiler:
    Show

Anyone wondering what will be like if we applied to The Other Place at the beginning? Or am I the only one who afraid of the tripos

Surely as a mathmo Cambridge is the best choice for you? I kind of wonder, as a natsci I am expecting a fairly rough first year but in a way that rough first year is the attraction of the course, as it's mainly tough due to how broad based it is. Wouldn't get that in Ox biochem... Also I'd probs get rejected pre interview by them over there cos of my GCSE's

ReputationRep:
    Surely as a mathmo Cambridge is the best choice for you? I kind of wonder, as a natsci I am expecting a fairly rough first year but in a way that rough first year is the attraction of the course, as it's mainly tough due to how broad based it is. Wouldn't get that in Ox biochem... Also I'd probs get rejected pre interview by them over there cos of my GCSE's
    Yes, Cambridge is considered to be the best university to study maths in the solar system.

But I also heard just how much easier to get a 1st in Oxford than Cambridge.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    But I also heard just how much easier to get a 1st in Oxford than Cambridge.
    Source?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Source?
    The fact that it's Oxford

ReputationRep:
    Now that nearly all the decisions are in I can reveal the results of my small survey of the pre-admissions assessments and the final outcomes. Caveat: the sample size is small, was self-selecting, and was only TSR sourced... also CORRELATION =/= CAUSATION!

That said, your opinion of how well you did in the AAs has a "weak" positive correlation (0.45) with getting an Offer. This compares with "zero" correlation for interview performance (cf. my 2016 analysis).

And here's the chart

Attachment 612360

The average "score" for Offer holders was 63%, and for Rejections was 51%. NB. the score was taken as a combination of Section 1 & 2 equally weighted. This may or may not be how colleges use the AAs.

NeverLucky
    PRSOM, I'll get the data ready for tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Source?
    I did past papers from both the IA tripos in mathematics and the Prelims

ReputationRep:
    domaths ?
    it makes more sense to put the new college but a few people put the original and then the new college as a comment
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Approx a third get a First in the Maths BA from Cambridge.

And two-thirds get a Distinction in MMath.

Dunno about Oxford.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The feels when your headmaster sends you a letter congratulating you for getting into Oxford :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    The feels when your headmaster sends you a letter congratulating you for getting into Oxford :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Write back saying you can't take up your Oxford offer due to unforeseen circumstances and only correct him once he asks for details

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest being able to do the past papers 8 months before the course starts is a fairly good indicator that you might be in the top 1/3rd of candidates and therefore in with a good shout of a 1st even at the best university in the solar system lol
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Write back saying you can't take up your Oxford offer due to unforeseen circumstances and only correct him once he asks for details
    :lol:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If they spelt your name right then you're at least one better than letters I've received from school in the past.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    My Mum already emailed to have a giggle. He was very embarassed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thewinelake)
    Here's another one that isn't animated...
    Attachment 612350
    DON'T MISS THE OFFER!
    GET THIS ON MEMEBRIDGE!!!

Seriously though that is amazing. If a bit terrifying.
    (Original post by blue2337)
    Hey guys!!! I'm doing a talk to the year 12s this Thursday all about Cambridge admissions and I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions of the kinds of things I should mention to the year 12s? What would you liked to have known back this time last year?
    As others have said definitely mention TSR. I wouldn't have known anybody else applying for my obscure course otherwise. Speaking of which, tell them to look at the full course list and not be put off if something sounds niche. Stuff like AMES and ASNAC need more love 😅

Also, the admissions assessments aren't meant to be easy to prepare for, the humanities ones in particular. Knowing how to write an essay is much more important than knowing facts.

Other stuff:
    * don't get too hung up over which college you choose, they're all great
    * you don't have to be perfect to apply
    * interviews aren't about life plans or job prospects or extra curriculars and don't try and over prepare - just listen to the questions and answer to the best of your ability
    * realise that getting the grades post offer is vital so don't neglect a levels!

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest being able to do the past papers 8 months before the course starts is a fairly good indicator that you might be in the top 1/3rd of candidates and therefore in with a good shout of a 1st even at the best university in the solar system lol
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    I have been rejected from Cambridge but it hasn't shown up on UCAS yet, so is there any chance I could withdraw my application and apply somewhere else instead? I know 15th Jan was the UCAS deadline but could I send in a late application and still be considered?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.