The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by alow
Hopefully it will be enough to help people stop over-analysing their interviews next year...

If you chose 100 numbers at random coming out with a correlation coefficient of 0.08 wouldn't be surprising.

Original post by k.russell
I don't think anything would really stop (most) people over analysing at ever stage of the process really

True, but beating them over the head with a statsbat will at least make me feel better :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
True, but beating them over the head with a statsbat will at least make me feel better :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

prsom
Original post by jneill
So yeah. This is absolutely stupendous work.

Do you have the coef correl for the interview outcomes? Mine was 0.08 ...

And similarly for the AA outcomes? 0.45

Urgh...how do you calculate that when you've got ratings mapping to two different outcomes?
Original post by NeverLucky
Urgh...how do you calculate that when you've got ratings mapping to two different outcomes?

So you have a column of scores and a column of decisions.
I created an extra column (outcomes) of 1s and 0s with 1 being offer and 0 being rejected.

Then use CORREL(scores, outcomes)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
So you have a column of scores and a column of decisions.
I created an extra column (outcomes) of 1s and 0s with 1 being offer and 0 being rejected.

Then use CORREL(scores, outcomes)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay so the interview coefficient is 0.19 and the AA coefficient is 0.21.
Original post by jneill
It looks like we had less "success" this year than with previous top posters. I had 66% of the top 40 getting an offer previously (2015).

2017 sux
Original post by NeverLucky
Okay so the interview coefficient is 0.19 and the AA coefficient is 0.21.

So basically none :smile:

Coolio.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Zacken
2017 sux

2016 was 47.5%...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
2016 was 47.5%...

Posted from TSR Mobile

excuse me facts have no basis here
Original post by Zacken
excuse me facts have no basis here

:biggrin:
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I can't believe that I have an offer from Cambridge

Well, you do. Revel in it. :smile:
Original post by wolfmoon88
:hugs: why no St Andrews :cry2: Hahaha yep you do have nothing to lose :tongue: 4 more unis for one fee! I'll remember to say happy birthday to you sometime in late April then :biggrin:

Hahaha people will always find time for entertainment :yep: but reality hits hard once they finish... :/

Thank you for the :console: yep they are then it is preparation for exams :biggrin: with great effort because it is torture... well we find a topic to explore in maths and we write an essay on it based on an exploration... :tongue:

:hugs: It was actually an accident...I so enthusiastically added LSE, Exeter (someone raved about it recently to me and I was super happy about it) and KCL that I realized I only had one choice left - I forgot I only had 4 :frown: ...and I really wanted to add UCL, so I added it instead of St. Andrews. I really wish the Common App worked that way, four schools for one fee :rofl: And yay! Hehe

Yeah, thankfully my life isn't too stressful yet, just applying to a million scholarships is taking up my time. That absolutely stinks, so glad I didn't do IB but I'm sure it preps you for college intensity. As as super senior I probably won't even take 2 out of my 4 AP tests lol. And ohh, I see, sounds interesting with maths :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by somebodyelse98
ahahahahaha that is amazing, massively cheered me up - thank you so much! this decision has made me want to go to America even more now, which is scary and exciting at the same time... hope everything goes well for you!

Awwww I'm so glad :colondollar: thank you!! Can I ask where you're applying? I'm sorry if you've mentioned it elsewhere, I'm just curious as to whether we've applied to the same places!
Original post by rissanicole14
:hugs: It was actually an accident...I so enthusiastically added LSE, Exeter (someone raved about it recently to me and I was super happy about it) and KCL that I realized I only had one choice left - I forgot I only had 4 :frown: ...and I really wanted to add UCL, so I added it instead of St. Andrews. I really wish the Common App worked that way, four schools for one fee :rofl: And yay! Hehe

Yeah, thankfully my life isn't too stressful yet, just applying to a million scholarships is taking up my time. That absolutely stinks, so glad I didn't do IB but I'm sure it preps you for college intensity. As as super senior I probably won't even take 2 out of my 4 AP tests lol. And ohh, I see, sounds interesting with maths :tongue:

:rofl: Exeter is awesome! :yep: ik because I applied :tongue: (Michiyo?) I wish Common App worked that way too :rofl: :rofl:

Hahaha my life is death rn... :/ IB does prepare people for uni intensity from what I heard :yep: Hahaha I wish I can just skip some IB tests :tongue:

Maths is not interesting :colonhash:

:hugs:
:rofl: Exeter is awesome! :yep: ik because I applied :tongue: (Michiyo?) I wish Common App worked that way too :rofl: :rofl:

Hahaha my life is death rn... :/ IB does prepare people for uni intensity from what I heard :yep: Hahaha I wish I can just skip some IB tests :tongue:

Maths is not interesting :colonhash:

:hugs:

Oh yay!!! Which course? And yes it was Michiyo! And yeah, added it up - all my college apps almost cost as much as my Cambridge one :rofl:

It honestly really sounds like it...won't be the most fun last year of high school/secondary school etc. for you unfortunately. With my sister IB did help her, she says her freshman/sophomore years were a breeze compared to IB. Yeh it's pretty nice :biggrin: no AP Bio for me

Depends on the maths :tongue: (fyi I've literally started to say maths in real life because of TSR, my friends think I'm a wannabe Brit)
Oh yay!!! Which course? And yes it was Michiyo! And yeah, added it up - all my college apps almost cost as much as my Cambridge one :rofl:

It honestly really sounds like it...won't be the most fun last year of high school/secondary school etc. for you unfortunately. With my sister IB did help her, she says her freshman/sophomore years were a breeze compared to IB. Yeh it's pretty nice :biggrin: no AP Bio for me

Depends on the maths :tongue: (fyi I've literally started to say maths in real life because of TSR, my friends think I'm a wannabe Brit)

Human Sciences :yep: :tongue: Hahaha Was gonna tag her but it would be awkward if it is not her :tongue:. Meh Cambridge is expensive :rofl:

Hahaha at least life will be better after May :tongue: until September :/ Why no, AP Bio :rofl:

:tongue: I started saying revising instead of studying :rofl: :rofl: Maths is never fun :no:
Human Sciences :yep: :tongue: Hahaha Was gonna tag her but it would be awkward if it is not her :tongue:. Meh Cambridge is expensive :rofl:

Hahaha at least life will be better after May :tongue: until September :/ Why no, AP Bio :rofl:

:tongue: I started saying revising instead of studying :rofl: :rofl: Maths is never fun :no:

Ohh duhh :rofl: cool! And yeah it is, her love for Exeter influenced me :smile: decided to apply for a flexible combined honours, with Int' relations and security studies :tongue: and yeah, Oxbridge is expensive for all int'l applicants (I included the plane ticket in my application calculations). In September it all starts again :rofl: can't wait until summer though.

I absolutely hate biology and AP sciences in general - I would have thought after chem and physics that I wasn't a science person, but had to check out at least one life AP science to make sure I didn't want to be a doctor :tongue:

Omg I say that too, and mock instead of practice ugh. Maths was never fun for me at all, got poor grades up until 10th grade. After that, got my first A(+) in a math class (in Calc) and believed in the power of a great teacher. But writing an essay on math? Yeah nope :s-smilie:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SteamboatMickey
I can't believe that I have an offer from Cambridge

May I personally say how happy I am (like so many others) to hear that you have an offer!
Original post by WhiteScythe
May I personally say how happy I am (like so many others) to hear that you have an offer!

Why thank you! :hat2: been in a state of shock since Monday :tongue:
Awwww I'm so glad :colondollar: thank you!! Can I ask where you're applying? I'm sorry if you've mentioned it elsewhere, I'm just curious as to whether we've applied to the same places!

no worries - i'm applying yale harvard MIT columbia UChicago and princeton. Wbu?!!

Latest