Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Hopefully it will be enough to help people stop over-analysing their interviews next year...

If you chose 100 numbers at random coming out with a correlation coefficient of 0.08 wouldn't be surprising.
    (Original post by k.russell)
    I don't think anything would really stop (most) people over analysing at ever stage of the process really
    True, but beating them over the head with a statsbat will at least make me feel better

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jneill)
    True, but beating them over the head with a statsbat will at least make me feel better

Posted from TSR Mobile
    prsom

ReputationRep:
    So yeah. This is absolutely stupendous work.

Do you have the coef correl for the interview outcomes? Mine was 0.08 ...

And similarly for the AA outcomes? 0.45
    Urgh...how do you calculate that when you've got ratings mapping to two different outcomes?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    Urgh...how do you calculate that when you've got ratings mapping to two different outcomes?
    So you have a column of scores and a column of decisions.
    I created an extra column (outcomes) of 1s and 0s with 1 being offer and 0 being rejected.

Then use CORREL(scores, outcomes)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So you have a column of scores and a column of decisions.
    I created an extra column (outcomes) of 1s and 0s with 1 being offer and 0 being rejected.

Then use CORREL(scores, outcomes)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Okay so the interview coefficient is 0.19 and the AA coefficient is 0.21.

ReputationRep:
    It looks like we had less "success" this year than with previous top posters. I had 66% of the top 40 getting an offer previously (2015).
    2017 sux
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NeverLucky)
    Okay so the interview coefficient is 0.19 and the AA coefficient is 0.21.
    So basically none

Coolio.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    2017 sux
    2016 was 47.5%...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    2016 was 47.5%...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    excuse me facts have no basis here
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    excuse me facts have no basis here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    I can't believe that I have an offer from Cambridge
    Well, you do. Revel in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolfmoon88)
    :hugs: why no St Andrews :cry2: Hahaha yep you do have nothing to lose 4 more unis for one fee! I'll remember to say happy birthday to you sometime in late April then

Hahaha people will always find time for entertainment :yep: but reality hits hard once they finish... :/

Thank you for the :console: yep they are then it is preparation for exams with great effort because it is torture... well we find a topic to explore in maths and we write an essay on it based on an exploration...
    :hugs: It was actually an accident...I so enthusiastically added LSE, Exeter (someone raved about it recently to me and I was super happy about it) and KCL that I realized I only had one choice left - I forgot I only had 4 ...and I really wanted to add UCL, so I added it instead of St. Andrews. I really wish the Common App worked that way, four schools for one fee :rofl: And yay! Hehe

Yeah, thankfully my life isn't too stressful yet, just applying to a million scholarships is taking up my time. That absolutely stinks, so glad I didn't do IB but I'm sure it preps you for college intensity. As as super senior I probably won't even take 2 out of my 4 AP tests lol. And ohh, I see, sounds interesting with maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by somebodyelse98)
    ahahahahaha that is amazing, massively cheered me up - thank you so much! this decision has made me want to go to America even more now, which is scary and exciting at the same time... hope everything goes well for you!
    Awwww I'm so glad thank you!! Can I ask where you're applying? I'm sorry if you've mentioned it elsewhere, I'm just curious as to whether we've applied to the same places!
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

(Original post by rissanicole14)
    :hugs: It was actually an accident...I so enthusiastically added LSE, Exeter (someone raved about it recently to me and I was super happy about it) and KCL that I realized I only had one choice left - I forgot I only had 4 ...and I really wanted to add UCL, so I added it instead of St. Andrews. I really wish the Common App worked that way, four schools for one fee :rofl: And yay! Hehe

Yeah, thankfully my life isn't too stressful yet, just applying to a million scholarships is taking up my time. That absolutely stinks, so glad I didn't do IB but I'm sure it preps you for college intensity. As as super senior I probably won't even take 2 out of my 4 AP tests lol. And ohh, I see, sounds interesting with maths
    :rofl: Exeter is awesome! :yep: ik because I applied (Michiyo?) I wish Common App worked that way too :rofl::rofl:

Hahaha my life is death rn... :/ IB does prepare people for uni intensity from what I heard :yep: Hahaha I wish I can just skip some IB tests

Maths is not interesting

:hugs:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: Exeter is awesome! :yep: ik because I applied (Michiyo?) I wish Common App worked that way too :rofl::rofl:

Hahaha my life is death rn... :/ IB does prepare people for uni intensity from what I heard :yep: Hahaha I wish I can just skip some IB tests

Maths is not interesting

:hugs:

Oh yay!!! Which course? And yes it was Michiyo! And yeah, added it up - all my college apps almost cost as much as my Cambridge one :rofl:

It honestly really sounds like it...won't be the most fun last year of high school/secondary school etc. for you unfortunately. With my sister IB did help her, she says her freshman/sophomore years were a breeze compared to IB. Yeh it's pretty nice no AP Bio for me

Depends on the maths (fyi I've literally started to say maths in real life because of TSR, my friends think I'm a wannabe Brit)
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

Oh yay!!! Which course? And yes it was Michiyo! And yeah, added it up - all my college apps almost cost as much as my Cambridge one :rofl:

It honestly really sounds like it...won't be the most fun last year of high school/secondary school etc. for you unfortunately. With my sister IB did help her, she says her freshman/sophomore years were a breeze compared to IB. Yeh it's pretty nice no AP Bio for me

Depends on the maths (fyi I've literally started to say maths in real life because of TSR, my friends think I'm a wannabe Brit)
    Human Sciences :yep: Hahaha Was gonna tag her but it would be awkward if it is not her . Meh Cambridge is expensive :rofl:

Hahaha at least life will be better after May until September :/ Why no, AP Bio :rofl:

I started saying revising instead of studying :rofl::rofl: Maths is never fun :no:

ReputationRep:
    Human Sciences :yep: Hahaha Was gonna tag her but it would be awkward if it is not her . Meh Cambridge is expensive :rofl:

Hahaha at least life will be better after May until September :/ Why no, AP Bio :rofl:

I started saying revising instead of studying :rofl::rofl: Maths is never fun :no:
    Ohh duhh :rofl: cool! And yeah it is, her love for Exeter influenced me decided to apply for a flexible combined honours, with Int' relations and security studies and yeah, Oxbridge is expensive for all int'l applicants (I included the plane ticket in my application calculations). In September it all starts again :rofl: can't wait until summer though.

I absolutely hate biology and AP sciences in general - I would have thought after chem and physics that I wasn't a science person, but had to check out at least one life AP science to make sure I didn't want to be a doctor

Omg I say that too, and mock instead of practice ugh. Maths was never fun for me at all, got poor grades up until 10th grade. After that, got my first A(+) in a math class (in Calc) and believed in the power of a great teacher. But writing an essay on math? Yeah nope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    I can't believe that I have an offer from Cambridge
    May I personally say how happy I am (like so many others) to hear that you have an offer!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhiteScythe)
    May I personally say how happy I am (like so many others) to hear that you have an offer!
    Why thank you! :hat2: been in a state of shock since Monday

ReputationRep:
    Awwww I'm so glad thank you!! Can I ask where you're applying? I'm sorry if you've mentioned it elsewhere, I'm just curious as to whether we've applied to the same places!
    no worries - i'm applying yale harvard MIT columbia UChicago and princeton. Wbu?!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.