The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by rissanicole14
Ohh duhh :rofl: cool! And yeah it is, her love for Exeter influenced me :smile: decided to apply for a flexible combined honours, with Int' relations and security studies :tongue: and yeah, Oxbridge is expensive for all int'l applicants (I included the plane ticket in my application calculations). In September it all starts again :rofl: can't wait until summer though.

I absolutely hate biology and AP sciences in general - I would have thought after chem and physics that I wasn't a science person, but had to check out at least one life AP science to make sure I didn't want to be a doctor :tongue:

Omg I say that too, and mock instead of practice ugh. Maths was never fun for me at all, got poor grades up until 10th grade. After that, got my first A(+) in a math class (in Calc) and believed in the power of a great teacher. But writing an essay on math? Yeah nope :s-smilie:

:rofl: :tongue: she really does love Exeter :tongue: Cool FCH :smile: I honestly really liked FCH :yep: Hahaha the plane tickets are what puts everything over the top! Summer will be great :smile:

Hahaha I don't like Physics and Maths :tongue: Chem is ok, I like Bio :tongue:, I guess that cemented your opinion about not being a doctor then :yep:

Hahaha I just call every exam an exam and don't differentiate between mocks and non mocks :tongue: I just find maths boring :tongue: yeah I think writing an essay is just sad...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
True, but beating them over the head with a statsbat will at least make me feel better :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Given the type of people who are likely applicants, don't you think [over]-analysing or -thinking in general may be part of what makes them applicants though?

It all depends on the objective. Trying to beat the system or figure out a "winning formula" is both off putting and futile. For self-reflection is not necessarily such a bad thing sometimes unless you overdo it to the point of feeding self-doubt.
Original post by dotdashline
Given the type of people who are likely applicants, don't you think [over]-analysing or -thinking in general may be part of what makes them applicants though?

It all depends on the objective. Trying to beat the system or figure out a "winning formula" is both off putting and futile. For self-reflection is not necessarily such a bad thing sometimes unless you overdo it to the point of feeding self-doubt.

Very true. :smile:

But I do think a major problem is with self-analysis where you try to guess your score in the interview and this one stat does clearly show it doesn't work.

Whether or not folks will pay attention to it is, of course, up to them :smile:
does anyone have an offer for vet med? mine's A*A*AA with an A* in chem, just wondering what the other offers are like?
Original post by jneill
:hat2:

And yeah where are you @Reality Check ? :poke:

:popout:
Original post by Gold-Confetti
Yeah I will do. When I ask for feedback, I was going to ask whether it was interviews or grades that most let me down. If it's grades, I can fix that, but if it was interview, I don't really have the resources to become better at it, so it probably wouldn't be worth my time to reapply.

Thank you for all your help on here by the way, I and probably all the other applicants, really appreciate it 😊

Sorry to find that I will not be studying alongside you.😞

You had a rough ride, but the experience will toughen you up for future interviews. That which does not destroy us makes us stronger! 😊

I wish you the best of luck 🍀 in the future!
Original post by Reality Check
:popout:

I love that smiley.
Original post by Bunratty
I wish you the best of luck 🍀 in the future!

Off-topic question: are you Irish?

Clues: the 🍀 and also Bunratty Castle... :smile:
Original post by jneill
Off-topic question: are you Irish?

Clues: the 🍀 and also Bunratty Castle... :smile:

Oh dear. A shamrock is the universal symbol of good luck in the west, and pops up on the first page of my smileys. I love pastries and am often stroppy, so I called myself Bunratty.

Haha! I am an imposter 😈

Castle, John Castle 😎
Original post by Bunratty
Oh dear. A shamrock is the universal symbol of good luck in the west, and pops up on the first page of my smileys. I love pastries and am often stroppy, so I called myself Bunratty.

Haha! I am an imposter 😈

Castle, John Castle 😎

BANNED! Pastries ARE NOT buns.

:smile:

(Cool idea for a username though :smile: )
@jneill Do you happen to know where I can find statistics on the degree
classifications awarded by Cambridge? I've tried looking but I can't seem to find anything
Original post by elephants_
@jneill Do you happen to know where I can find statistics on the degree
classifications awarded by Cambridge? I've tried looking but I can't seem to find anything

Unistats.
Original post by jneill
BANNED! Pastries ARE NOT buns.

:smile:

(Cool idea for a username though :smile: )

Quite right too. An iced bun is a bun. A hot cross bun is a bun. A Danish Pastry or some such foreign imposter is not a bun. It's delicious, but quite different.
Still waiting for my decision amidst the discussion of buns :rolleyes:

Is it time for an email or phone call?
Original post by epsilondelta

Call your original college. Good luck!

Please do! You wouldn't want to wait another weekend... The mature colleges should be relatively more free too (I think) so it should be okay to call at this stage :smile:
Original post by jneill
Call your original college. Good luck!

Original post by Infested
Please do! You wouldn't want to wait another weekend... The mature colleges should be relatively more free too (I think) so it should be okay to call at this stage :smile:

Thank you guys! I phoned and she knew who I was before I even gave my name :colondollar: no decision has been made yet, and it could be next week.

Is it too early for a drink?
Thank you guys! I phoned and she knew who I was before I even gave my name :colondollar: no decision has been made yet, and it could be next week.

Never too early!

At least you know something... :smile:

And your quantum state hasn't been affected.

How exciting! You must have a very interesting applicant file...
Original post by jneill
Never too early!

At least you know something... :smile:

And your quantum state hasn't been affected.

I assume it's not too early for drink number two either :tongue: indeed!

I shall re-watch Sherlock on a continuous loop until I hear

Edit: PRSOM jneill, thanks for your help on this :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)

Latest