Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
    to all my fellow applicants on Thursday,

it is what it is

:holmes:
    That seems to be the phrase of the year. I keep hearing it everywhere... including on Sherlock.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domaths)
    Btw jneill are you planning to match peoples AA self-assessments you collected with their offer outcome?
    Yep.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Aussiebou99999)
      @jneill I got a call on Friday inviting me for reinterview, and they said they would email me shortly. This email still hasn't come, do you think I should ring them up tomorrow? I am staring to worry they made a mistake!
      I would call tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SteamboatMickey)
      it is what it is
      It's not OK.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bunratty)
      But UMS across best 3 subjects is what is considered.
      Very true! I don't doubt that they'll still look at available UMS though, and the subject I got low 80s in may be a bit of a worry considering the high average! I'm most probably just over thinking things!
      • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by jneill)
      That seems to be the phrase of the year. I keep hearing it everywhere... including on Sherlock.

Posted from TSR Mobile
      Elementary, my dear jneill.

Spoiler:
      Show

although he never actually says that in the books lol

i've been hearing it a lot as well, i think it is the phrase of the year.

That's already had an effect actually. Numbers of applicants from the EU are down on prior years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
        So they say. Will offer rates be down too? It would confirm the universities' point of view.
        • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Aussiebou99999)
        @jneill I got a call on Friday inviting me for reinterview, and they said they would email me shortly. This email still hasn't come, do you think I should ring them up tomorrow? I am staring to worry they made a mistake!
        They haven't made a mistake. If you haven't heard by, say, lunchtime tomorrow maybe give them a call.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Oddwatermelon)
        Very true! I don't doubt that they'll still look at available UMS though, and the subject I got low 80s in may be a bit of a worry considering the high average! I'm most probably just over thinking things!
        You probably are. Bear in mind that things are probably going to work fairly differently this year - with a large amount of applicants not having a 3 Subject UMS average due to reforms.

jneill I know this is somewhat of an irrelevant question, as we've reached the final stage, but do you know whether Cambridge chooses not to interview people due to low UMS? Or do you not know as, as I've just said, things are very different this year.

(Original post by jpxw)
          Interesting to see that the average best 3 UMS mean is just over 93%, I thought it would be higher for some reason. I wonder if that's the reasoning behind the 93% figure used in the UMS autopooling system.
          The average best 3 A-level UMS for offers is 95%.
          • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
          So they say. Will offer rates be down too? It would confirm the universities' point of view.
          I doubt the EU applicant success rate will be significantly different. The university's point of view is to encourage not discourage good applicants no matter where they are. Why would it be in their interest to discriminate against EU applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by CutieTootsie)
          Have you seen the borat visits Cambridge video
          😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂 😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
          I just watched it and jesus christ I am crying from laughter that was too good hahahhahahaa

ReputationRep:
          I go to college in Cambridge and I think it's gonna take me some time before I can walk past Christ's gate without getting a little sad.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by liziepie)
          what are the stereotypes about other subjects? : p
          Music: practices loudly and annoyingly, usually gay, usually late for things or always absolutely early (there is no in between)

ReputationRep:
          What would the most efficient way to collect people's outcomes and assign them to the post-interview data be do you reckon?

ReputationRep:
          The average best 3 A-level UMS for offers is 95%.
          This is what I thought too, but the document jneill linked said it was just over 93%
          • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
          I've only just realised that matching application outcomes to interview predictions still doesn't confirm if the interview went well or not in Cambridge's opinion.

Someone who rated themselves 1 could have actually done crap but are amazing on paper so would still be given an offer or fished from the pool 👍🏾
          I need to stop analysing. My head hurts.

I doubt the EU applicant success rate will be significantly different. The university's point of view is to encourage not discourage good applicants no matter where they are. Why would it be in their interest to discriminate against EU applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
            It would give leverage to the political idea that EU students of the best calibre will go elsewhere if Hard Brexit happens.

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by Katejcr)
            I go to college in Cambridge and I think it's gonna take me some time before I can walk past Christ's gate without getting a little sad.
            I get this feeling so much but with Oxford.
            • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
            (Original post by liziepie)
            I just watched it and jesus christ I am crying from laughter that was too good hahahhahahaa
            Yeah! But what's with the women aren't as creative as men comment?!?
            Dr Ian something-another

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
          Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
        • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
          Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.