The Student Room Group

Cambridge application next year + how are my subjects for law?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Compost
I've been told that Cambridge likes law applicants to have studied Maths A level. Your GCSEs are relatively weak for a Cambridge application - sticking with 4 AS subjects would help to counteract that, IF you can get an A in Maths.

Not at all

The narrative that you need straight A* at GCSE to get into Oxbridge is untrue; only for Medicine, really.
(edited 7 years ago)
3 AS is fine, having 4 won't give you any advantage, and it's probably better to have 3 extremely strong a levels than 4 relatively weaker ones. Many schools only offer 3, as was said earlier in the thread. I personally only do 3 and don't think it'll put me at any disadvantage.
Original post by liziepie
Not at all

The narrative that you need straight A* at GCSE to get into Oxbridge is untrue; only for Medicine, really.

Ok, so if that graph is accurate then they are average.
Original post by Compost
Ok, so if that graph is accurate then they are average.

It comes from a Cambridge admissions tutor, so I should hope it is accurate. That being said, GCSE's are only 1 factor in the whole application, there are a lot more important factors, hence the range.
Reply 24
I'm going to apply to Cambridge for law next year but I only do 3 A levels (inc. history). I have decent GCSE grades too. Do I stand a good chance of at least getting an interview?

Quick Reply

Latest