Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone feel absolutely nothing? Watch

It's been this way for about a year and a half now. I guess I kind of feel nothing at all?

Years ago in past relationships I felt love and heartbreak and all of that, which I'm totally over and feel nothing when I look back. But I also feel like I'm so over love and feelings in general.

Someone I've known for 5 years, I reconnected with and we were extremely close for 6 months. Then one day I cut them off (for reasons) like they meant absolutely nothing to me, even though they were actually my favourite person ever and I too meant a lot to them.

I don't get attached to people and cut them off like they hold no value to me, even if they do and I could think of them all the time but they'd never know.

On a daily basis I just feel like there's no feelings or emotions in me. I feel like a robot.

Is this unhealthy?

ReputationRep:
    Please if you get answers to this let me know because that's my life in a nutshell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I can somewhat connect with you. For the past year I felt no sadness, happiness, or anger - nothing. I once cut myself with a knife when I was cooking food, and I didn't feel pain the same way I remembered it - it felt like something strange, foreign, nothing I ever felt before.

I love my family and friends, and I try to show it. On a daily basis I fake a smile and a laugh quite often - I'm the clown in my group of friends; the loud obnoxious friend we all have. Sometimes I find myself crying for no reason, but it's a silent cry. Tears start rolling down my face and I cannot figure out why for the life of me.

It seems I came to terms with how I feel. Or how I don't feel, for that matter. I'm a high-achieving student, and live in a privileged family in a 1st world country, and my guilt prevents me from saying anything to anyone. There are people who have it way worse than me, and I don't want others to pity me for what seems like 'nothing'.

Is it unhealthy? Probably. I am in no way able to help much, other than to tell you there are others who feel this way. Seek help if you can. Please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I can somewhat connect with you. For the past year I felt no sadness, happiness, or anger - nothing. I once cut myself with a knife when I was cooking food, and I didn't feel pain the same way I remembered it - it felt like something strange, foreign, nothing I ever felt before.

I love my family and friends, and I try to show it. On a daily basis I fake a smile and a laugh quite often - I'm the clown in my group of friends; the loud obnoxious friend we all have. Sometimes I find myself crying for no reason, but it's a silent cry. Tears start rolling down my face and I cannot figure out why for the life of me.

It seems I came to terms with how I feel. Or how I don't feel, for that matter. I'm a high-achieving student, and live in a privileged family in a 1st world country, and my guilt prevents me from saying anything to anyone. There are people who have it way worse than me, and I don't want others to pity me for what seems like 'nothing'.

Is it unhealthy? Probably. I am in no way able to help much, other than to tell you there are others who feel this way. Seek help if you can. Please.
    High achieving? Do tell

Thank you for sharing! This was really interesting to read.

I love my ability to protect myself in this way. Like.. I used to be an emotionally weak ***** and now nothing affects me like that.

It does make me wonder, though. Seeing how much other people talk about their feelings and stuff all over social media and how difficult they find it to let go of people..how reliant they are on others.

Seeing this socially acceptable "norm", it just makes me wonder how I became the way I am and why I don't feel this way about anybody like others do. It makes me question the future and whether I'll feel anything for anybody again or care to keep them around.

I just see everything as temporary tbh and so I don't get hung up on anything or anyone.

(Original post by hannahly)
    Please if you get answers to this let me know because that's my life in a nutshell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You should see this thread should in your "watched" list on the homepage

ReputationRep:
    I can relate to this a lot, and I do feel like this a lot of the time.

I don't get attached to people and cut them off like they hold no value to me, even if they do and I could think of them all the time but they'd never know.
    ^ This part especially describes me.

But for me, what makes me feel alive is music – some songs just make me feel a deep sense of euphoria from within, and although the feeling is often short-lived it makes me want to continue living just to get that feeling again. So I guess what I'm trying to get at is that you need to find the thing that makes you feel alive, books, dancing, films, whatever. It's a tough road but good luck!

ReputationRep:

Wow i can relate to this sooo much although i see it as a coping mechanism and i guess its more healthy than self destructive behaviour

ReputationRep:
    That's basically me Sometimes I get bursts of emotion every once in a while but then I feel like nothing again
    That said, I really hate hurting people, so I try not to.

I broke up with my ex last year because of my academics even though she came all the way across the world to see me. I also keep losing people because I have no energy to talk to them in any form.

I do sometimes feel quite elated when I am doing maths or listening to music, or when I am engaged in a good argument with a friend of mine, but that's about it. I don't emotionally react to stuff anymore for some reason.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    You sound like a sociopath.

ReputationRep:
    Do you ever get feelings of intense passion and wild swings in emotion at all?

OP, are you me??
    • Political Ambassador

Yeah, most of the time I feel nothing and it's really hard to explain. But to me it seems like I'm usually detached, my emotions are being suppressed, but they keep accumulating in my system even if the normal way I function is by feeling constant emptiness.

I'm sometimes knocked back into reality and I start digesting my emotions after a while. I think I personally experience this because that's how I've learned to protect myself from sad or stressful situations.

ReputationRep:
    It sounds like you're scared of intimacy. Also the 'numb' feeling can be a symptom of depression. The mind is very powerful at convincing ourselves we don't feel things we don't want to.

ReputationRep:
    The only way to get past this is to be completely honest with yourself about how you feel towards people in the future and work past getting through that fear of being hurt. I am going through it myself and it's bloody scary but you CAN do it.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I feel like this too. I can't maintain relationships, I just don't feel connected to anyone and I just can't bring myself to care about them

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 8, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.