Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    so, let's discuss: which one is better, stockings/hold ups and tights?

personally I love stockings and have only started wearing them as replacements for tights because they feel so much comfortable than tights. they're always being worn, whether it's going to work or college., a night out, etc

so what do you prefer and why?
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Tights, feel a bit exposed otherwise

ReputationRep:
    Tights, stockings would just fall down and annoy me lol

ReputationRep:
    Almost no-one believes that stockings/hold-ups are anything more than vintage cosplay or a sex uniform.

ReputationRep:
    Tights for practicality/ everday kind of things

stockings for nights out to look cute/hot :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Tights

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trinculo)
    Almost no-one believes that stockings/hold-ups are anything more than vintage cosplay or a sex uniform.
    that's the thing that annoys me, stockings have a sexual connotation and it sucks because they aren't always for those purposes. just because they're part of a fetishism doesn't mean that they are only for the bedroom. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Never worn stockings but should give them a go because tights are the most uncomfortable item of clothing ever.
    If you wear stockings do you have to wear the belt thing as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RainMakesWhisky)
    Never worn stockings but should give them a go because tights are the most uncomfortable item of clothing ever.
    If you wear stockings do you have to wear the belt thing as well?
    if you wear stockings, there is a chance they will fall down without support so a suspender belt should be worn with them. if you don't want to wear a belt, buy hold ups. they're stockings but with tops that have a sticky band on the inside that help to stay in the same place, so the belt won't be needed.

ReputationRep:
    I really like both tights and stockings, At a push I would probably say I prefer tights more. I have more tights than stockings.

Stockings are probably more practical due to if one gets laddered then can just swap another one where as if you ladder tights then you have to buy more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xcert)
    so, let's discuss: which one is better, stockings/hold ups and tights?

personally I love stockings and have only started wearing them as replacements for tights because they feel so much comfortable than tights. they're always being worn, whether it's going to work or college., a night out, etc

so what do you prefer and why?
    I haven't worn tights for years. I can't stand the waistband or the sagging gusset (one of the worst words ever imho!).

For me, I much prefer stockings with a six strap suspender belt over anything else (I've not always trusted hold ups to perform as they should) and wear these most days. I guess it is a bit unusual for younger girls/women to wear them these days and I get the odd comment when I'm in changing rooms or buying stockings in shops etc but I find them to be more practical, comfortable and hygienic so I'm going to continue wearing them. As Scorpion95 has mentioned, you also only have th throw away one leg if it ladders and so they're not really any more expensive than tights.

I also think stockings can make a nice lingerie set look prettier so it's a win win situation all round really!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bex94)
    I haven't worn tights for years. I can't stand the waistband or the sagging gusset (one of the worst words ever imho!).

For me, I much prefer stockings with a six strap suspender belt over anything else (I've not always trusted hold ups to perform as they should) and wear these most days. I guess it is a bit unusual for younger girls/women to wear them these days and I get the odd comment when I'm in changing rooms or buying stockings in shops etc but I find them to be more practical, comfortable and hygienic so I'm going to continue wearing them. As Scorpion95 has mentioned, you also only have th throw away one leg if it ladders and so they're not really any more expensive than tights.

I also think stockings can make a nice lingerie set look prettier so it's a win win situation all round really!
    How do you feel about the man who owns Sports Direct taking over Agent Provocateur?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingHarold)
    How do you feel about the man who owns Sports Direct taking over Agent Provocateur?
    Well AP do need to lower their prices so I can afford their beautiful undies! If you buy a bra, knickers and matching suspender belt from there, it can cost the best part of a grand. My only AP undies have been bought in the sale or given to me as presents (but still probably bought in the sale!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingHarold)
    (Original post by Bex94)
    Well AP do need to lower their prices so I can afford their beautiful undies! If you buy a bra, knickers and matching suspender belt from there, it can cost the best part of a grand. My only AP undies have been bought in the sale or given to me as presents (but still probably bought in the sale!)
    I had a brief look at their website and was shocked at the prices.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 12, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.