Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A-level Economics new 7136 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion] Watch

ReputationRep:
    Am i the only person still memorising content??? I still need to revise cost theory, market structures and labour demand pray for me!!

ReputationRep:
    I feel like last year I could memorise everything this year it's impossible so I'm rewriting out all my notes again.

I'm so tempted to look at my essays though and just look at essay points but I want to save that for later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsamor)
    Define market failure
    Draw + explain market failure
    Policy(s) effect to correct + eval
    Market forces as an alternative
    Government failure

Like we did last year

Though it depends there's been some weird environmental market questions xD
    Could you explain your point about 'Market forces as an alternative' - wouldnt that be the same as the market failure that exists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conquest.)
    Could you explain your point about 'Market forces as an alternative' - wouldnt that be the same as the market failure that exists.
    As demand for fuel (which causes pollution) continues to increase eventually the price becomes too high, so consumers look for the next best thing. This is likely going to be greener energy fuel, so in the long run the problem of environmental problems cause by polluting firms are eroded as people switch to alternatives due to high inevitable prices

Also consumers are becoming aware of the need to be green so might prepare to be more environmentally friendly the change in consumer preference might force firms to change the way of production, then again you might need a sort of nudge policy to achieve this

Also there are firms that don't want to be reliant on non renewable few sources they are innovators in the market and might be able to break through into the market with new greener technology wiping out inefficient firms

I'm probably wrong but this is what I thought
    Of course it doesn't address the problem in the short run but it's the free market approach

Idk xD I'm taking a guess here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cathartic)
    Am i the only person still memorising content??? I still need to revise cost theory, market structures and labour demand pray for me!!
    Is cost theory in the spec?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobunitrd)
    The theory that involves law of diminishing returns returns to scale economies of scale ect

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobunitrd)
    Yeah, it's like one of the most important things in business economics but it's not that difficult, you probably know most of it already shouldn't be a problem.

ReputationRep:
    As demand for fuel (which causes pollution) continues to increase eventually the price becomes too high, so consumers look for the next best thing. This is likely going to be greener energy fuel, so in the long run the problem of environmental problems cause by polluting firms are eroded as people switch to alternatives due to high inevitable prices

Also consumers are becoming aware of the need to be green so might prepare to be more environmentally friendly the change in consumer preference might force firms to change the way of production, then again you might need a sort of nudge policy to achieve this

Also there are firms that don't want to be reliant on non renewable few sources they are innovators in the market and might be able to break through into the market with new greener technology wiping out inefficient firms

I'm probably wrong but this is what I thought
    Of course it doesn't address the problem in the short run but it's the free market approach

Idk xD I'm taking a guess here

You could also mention Tesla. This is a company which has attempted to solve issues of environmental pollution without any help from the government. This is mainly due to Elon Musk's altruistic behaviour but also the technological changes such as better batteries that have made electric cars more attractive than fuel cars, even with the low world price of oil. Elon himself has taken it upon himself to use product differentiation (all the added extra stuff that comes with a tesla such as autopilot) to make the demand for his, electric cars, more than for fuel cars. The result of this has been that Teslas stock is currently valued higher than Ford's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommartin29)
    You could also mention Tesla. This is a company which has attempted to solve issues of environmental pollution without any help from the government. This is mainly due to Elon Musk's altruistic behaviour but also the technological changes such as better batteries that have made electric cars more attractive than fuel cars, even with the low world price of oil. Elon himself has taken it upon himself to use product differentiation (all the added extra stuff that comes with a tesla such as autopilot) to make the demand for his, electric cars, more than for fuel cars. The result of this has been that Teslas stock is currently valued higher than Ford's.
    That is an amazing example omgggg

ReputationRep:
    do you think its possible for me to memorise all of a2 econ in time??

ReputationRep:
    do you think its possible for me to memorise all of a2 econ in time??
    If you're starting now then no. If you have a good grasp of the topics then probably

ReputationRep:
    Some one ask me anything on the spec? Somert hard plz?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cascbsjcacsac)
    Some one ask me anything on the spec? Somert hard plz?
    Just give a point to each of these
    how does uncertainty affect oligpolies?
    Why are nudge policies (behav econ..) more effective at reducing market failure?
    Why do cartels break down?
    Evaluate one advantage of collusive behaviour?
    Is monopolistic market in the lr better than a monopoly?
    How does price discrimination benefit consumers?
    If there is a threat of contestability should governments intervene?
    Is the internet good for consumers?
    Why is there price stability in an oligiply?
    Why does inequality benefit society?
    Should we nationalise public transport?

Are these hard?? XD

ReputationRep:
    How necessary is application in the last 10 and 25 markers wheres no data? If so how do we show it

ReputationRep:
    No? I've seemed to have forgotten everything
    I'm sure the exam won't be too bad :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Some one please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    just a quick question as i am panicking i have a level economics exam tomorrow what is the main currency used in the england

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 777ella)
    Some one please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    just a quick question as i am panicking i have a level economics exam tomorrow what is the main currency used in the england
    Thank you for making me laugh as I revise for tomorrow's exam

ReputationRep:
    Define market failure
    Draw + explain market failure
    Policy(s) effect to correct + eval
    Market forces as an alternative
    Government failure

Like we did last year

Though it depends there's been some weird environmental market questions xD
    Could you use this structure for a normal market failure, gov intervention essay?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicangel)
    Could you use this structure for a normal market failure, gov intervention essay?
    Thanks!
    Yeah that's how I normally write them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danboulton99)
    How necessary is application in the last 10 and 25 markers wheres no data? If so how do we show it
    Quite necessary. The best way is probably through examples.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogLBBBKcBCY

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.