Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A-level Economics new 7136 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion] Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemmamcconville)
    On context A the first case study, what did everyone get for the 9 marker about the monopoly diagram for Royal Mail and how the obligations affect costs and price.I put how, having to deliver 6 days a week to multiple locations across the UK could increase AC, so showed this on a monopoly diagram shifting the AC upwards, and the abnormal profit being shrunk. Is this wrong?
    Idk I did the same as you. Which essay did you choose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotKidding)
    Pretty good paper aside from the 4 and 9 marker on Context 1 which were worded weirdly.
    Which one was the 4 marker?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will.h)
    Idk I did the same as you. Which essay did you choose?
    Hopefully i get some marks for it. I chose the unhealthy food and drink one about tax being the best policy for reducing the market failure

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemmamcconville)
    Which one was the 4 marker?
    It was about using Figure 2 to show dynamic efficiency has occurred or something similar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiakassam)
    I thought it was ok, I did Context 2 and Essay 3 which ones did you do??
    Same, what did you write for the 9 marker and 25 marker marker for section A?

ReputationRep:
    wow

ReputationRep:
    Grade boundaries predictions?

I'm thinking

A* - 68
    A - 63

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiakassam)
    I thought it was ok, I did Context 2 and Essay 3 which ones did you do??
    I done context 1 (Privitisation) and Essay 2 on Price discrimination

What was context 2 on ? The 25 marker ?

ReputationRep:
    i think i completely messed up the structure on my essays. I did the context 1, and then did essay 2 about policies for poverty. Did anyone else think the 25
    marker was worded really weirdly. I was something like can the problem of poverty be solved through market forces? Overall it was okay just not as well as i would've liked :/

ReputationRep:
    It was about using Figure 2 to show dynamic efficiency has occurred or something similar
    Oh yeh haha... What did you put for that one. I said how employees has fallen but revenue has risen indicating there has been improvements in technological advancements or productivity showing dynamic efficiency has taken place? Don't think this is right tho...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SWISH99)
    Grade boundaries predictions?

I'm thinking

A* - 68
    A - 63
    Usually an A is 58-60 and A* 66-67 I believe?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me try to understand my stupid error please!

For context one I answered the 2 marker is error. I worked out the decimal to be 0.535 and forgot to multiply this by 100 to give a percentage. Therefore giving my answer as 0.5 to one decimal place😂. Does anyone know if I lost one or 2 marks for this? I know is small but it's really stressing me out lol!

ReputationRep:
    Usually an A is 58-60 and A* 66-67 I believe?
    the grade boundries for the previous 2 years have actually been around 62-63 marks for an A. I don't think it was a bad paper but hopefully the boundaries are lower.

ReputationRep:
    I'm such an idiot I didn't study the AC curve up but I did explain it right and then I said something stupid about it could make them in a situation where they are earning normal profits why I am so dumb

also for privatisation I ended up talking about market failure (less competive ) how much will I be capped for all the 9 mark

I felt like my evaluation for 25 mark for context 1was so weak im hoping I still scrape the A :/

ReputationRep:
    Guys, could someone help me out. I was doing context one, the nine marker, where it asked to consider the possible effects on costs and profits. I am foreign and therefore did not know how many days mail services normally work in the UK, and from the tone of the context, I assumed it was 7. Therefore I put that as an assumption and stated that the fact that they work for one less day will lead to a decrease in the variable costs as they will save on costs of labor working extra day in comparison to seven, and therefore the ATC will go down, and thus from the diagram costs will fall from C1 to C2, and profits will rise from a shaded area of C1P1, to C2P1.
    Will I literally get 0 marks for this or will I get some? I asked few of my school's economics teachers and they said i could lose 1-3 marks for this but I should be fine, but i am not entirely sure.

ReputationRep:
    rip nothing like misreading the time on the board by 10 minutes so you don't finish

ReputationRep:
    I felt I did the wrong diagram for section b essay 3 and did a higher msc instead of a lower msb. How many marks will this cost me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zynnck)
    Can someone help me try to understand my stupid error please!

For context one I answered the 2 marker is error. I worked out the decimal to be 0.535 and forgot to multiply this by 100 to give a percentage. Therefore giving my answer as 0.5 to one decimal place😂. Does anyone know if I lost one or 2 marks for this? I know is small but it's really stressing me out lol!

Honestly, you might lose a few marks. All you had to do was add the percentage of the top 3 firms: Royal Mail, DPD and i cant remember the other one. BUT, because your percentage is kinda equivalient you might get something at least :/

ReputationRep:
    I did the same as you for both parts of the exam, what did you write about for the poverty essay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whasupman)
    Guys, could someone help me out. I was doing context one, the nine marker, where it asked to consider the possible effects on costs and profits. I am foreign and therefore did not know how many days mail services normally work in the UK, and from the tone of the context, I assumed it was 7. Therefore I put that as an assumption and stated that the fact that they work for one less day will lead to a decrease in the variable costs as they will save on costs of labor working extra day in comparison to seven, and therefore the ATC will go down, and thus from the diagram costs will fall from C1 to C2, and profits will rise from a shaded area of C1P1, to C2P1.
    Will I literally get 0 marks for this or will I get some? I asked few of my school's economics teachers and they said i could lose 1-3 marks for this but I should be fine, but i am not entirely sure.
    Think the point was that firms employ workers to work 5 days a week whilst Royal Mail is forced to work 6 days a week. Therefore labour costs rise (as people don't want to work on weekends). Increasing output can lead to economies of scale/decreasing AC. I also mentioned that if no other firm in the market offered this service they would be a monopoly and could raise prices (S.N profit).

Not completely sure my answer was fully correct though

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.