Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A-level Economics new 7136 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keynes24)
    It doesn't sound convincing to me. For market forces I would have argue the case for inequality/trickle down effect or preventing government failure. Regardless of what you written what's important is the chain of reasoning and the depth of analysis.
    Are you saying that the depth of analysis was relatively good ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coatsoft)
    I'm such an idiot for the sugary drink 15 marker I just did a diagram with demand and supply and not MSB and MPB. Anyone know many marks I will lose from this?
    I did the same I forgot how to draw a negative externality diagram

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ollieparky)
    For the first context 9 marker it said in extract B that the firm would have to reduce costs for the universal system would it be wrong to argue that they would actually operate at MR=AC from the previous place of where MC=MR so that they actually increase quantity earn normal profits and lower costs??
    I wrote that! Woo finally someone with a similar answer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommysmalley)
    Are you saying that the depth of analysis was relatively good ?
    No. I am trying to say that regardless of whether the points are correct or not by listing them it is not possible to give a good indication on how well you answer the question as the full answer is needed for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebigtommyowen)
    Context 1, 9 marker: I set the scene by drawing a monopoly diagram earning supernormal profit and said how the profits won't be competed away in the long run (didn't really know how to link it into the diagram too well), then wrote about how because of the use of things like email and online banks statements, demand is falling for letters, so revenue is falling (shift in AR, didn't draw it but think I wrote that it would happen), so they don't have retained profits, so they can't invest in capital to be more efficient and cut costs, and because of inflationary pressure, costs may increase due to higher wages, so costs will either stay the same or increase and profit will decrease. That sound like a plausible way to do it?
    I also set the scene - you drew two diagrams as well?

I would suspect we spent more time on this question than it perhaps deserved, but it should work - you cannot be too thorough.

ReputationRep:
    I did not draw the welfare loss on my msb diagram for the sugar 15 marker, how much is this likely to hurt my marks?

ReputationRep:
    For context 1 the 9 marker did anyone talk about how the productivity of some workers/couriers would be low due to them having to drive long distances to remote places to deliver 1 parcel?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remaine)
    I also set the scene - you drew two diagrams as well?

I would suspect we spent more time on this question than it perhaps deserved, but it should work - you cannot be too thorough.
    Only did one diagram. What was your other one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJEV18)
    I did not draw the welfare loss on my msb diagram for the sugar 15 marker, how much is this likely to hurt my marks?
    Neither did I, just realised 😬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holdsworth1)
    Hi everyone, I did context 2 on the gender pay gap and the essay 2 on poverty.

For the first 25 marker I wrote about how trade unions/ the NMW and progressive taxation and benefits could be used to reduce the gao in the economy and how successful each policy was.

For the second 25 marker I wrote about how the trickle down effect/economic growth could be used by the market forces to reduce poverty, and the NMW/progressive taxation and benefits for government intervention,

Does this sound about right on the whole? Found the paper fairly good.
    It is good but if you spoke about signalling incentive and rationing function that would of been better i thinkin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junky27)
    Great exam

Context 2;

2 marker- 69.1% something like that or 63.9% can't remember exactly

4 marker- easy just showing how the pay gap got smaller by £445 from 2000 to 2015

9 marker- define key terms, demand for labour derived from MRP in perfectly competitive labour markets. Construction for example men may have more natural strength and can lift heavier objects so they can produce more i.e. marginal product higher than women so higher MRP for men than women here. Though imperfections do exist so women may also gain less due to discrimination. Also they may supply their labour less or not as available due to lifestyle commitments and thus men have higher marginal revenue so higher wages.

25 marker- define key terms. Min wage- increase earnings for women in employment, more equal dist of income. Weak- q of lab falls and even more so if demand for labour is wage elastic. Strong- can't remember what I said.

2nd point- imperfections such as discrimination often evident in labour market so womens MRP is lower than their true MRP so increase laws aimed at preventing this to bring MRP up to true MKT mrp.

Weak- wage gap fallen by £445 over 15 years so not as relevant and equal pay act prevents this. Strong- 32% women claim they are paid less than men according to career build.co.uk

Conclusion- other policies, leave to market forces etc.

Double essay:
    define terms

de-merit good diagram with the MPB greater than MSB

Reasons- consumers imperf info on lr private costs

Firms ignore externalities so over provide and we demand at that q

Some sugary drinks have elasticities in the region of 0.3-.06 due to addictive nature so even if price increases to attempt to reduce demand demand will still be at an over consumption as demand is price inelastic.

Facts- NHS 16.1 billion costs obesity. 20% obese population

25 marker:

Define terms

Tax- internalise market failure etc due to fall in supply from tax reduced quantity back to optimum

Weak- demand for goods may be inelastic so fall is unrealistic. Strong is tax rev is used for subsidising healthy alternatives.

2nd point- prof max firms e.g apple earn large supernormal profits e.g 54.1 billion in 2015 and evade tax e.g relocating to Ireland. Tax may not have such an affect on these firms so gov provision is necessary. Gov provision diagram.

Weak- orgs in free market may be a charity or attempt to raise awareness of risks so produce at q where mc=mr so gov provision unnecessary. Strong- can't remember

Conclsuion- evaluated args. Behavioural economics also relevant e.g nudge policies such as mandating choice etc.
    Answer to question 1 was 69.6 and question 2 was 495

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soulgeass)
    I think my diagram is similar to yours (I mentioned rising costs but for a different reason). I hope our diagrams are valid!
    So do I! I didn't actually explain why they were now producing at this new point, just that their costs had risen and profits lowered.

ReputationRep:
    Im worried slightly because im sure I'm of the minority that did context 2 plz comment if u did context 2 on the 9 marker the question was on MRP of females an the 25 on policies to reduce pay gap 🙏🏼🤦*♂️🤦*♂️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WilliamHaycocks)
    This seems like a good answer to me.
    Although the question did ask for the effect on costs and profit and nothing about effciency

ReputationRep:
    Could someone help give an estimate to the mark i should get for the context 1 25 marker about the privatisation of the royal mail?
    The points i discussed was that there will be benefits because of productive efficiency, allocative efficiency, dynamic efficiency. (I went on to analyse this in greater detail of course). I think spoke about the cost to workers because it mentioned something in extract C how workers are being replaced by technology. I also mentioned how their monopoly power could cause them to exploit economies of scale as to reduce competition. In my conclusion, I spoke about whether the royal mail being privatised is better than it being nationalised. As a final judgement, i said that the benefits outweigh the costs assuming the regulation is strict and bigger than the market to prevent regulatory capture.
    I know that it is a lot to ask for but could someone please give me an estimate as to what they reckon I got?
    Thank you very much for any replies!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amuir720)
    Neither did I, just realised 😬
    I've literally had all the diagrams on my bedroom wall for the past 3 months, how did i not remember to put that part on?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DmdhJa)
    Answer to question 1 was 69.6 and question 2 was 495
    Thought I was the only one who did context 2 I actually got 63 or something similar on q1 an pretty much did similar on 9 nad 25 marker

ReputationRep:
    This is more or less what I wrote
    Privatisation - yes profit motive/incentives better to achieve more efficient outcome
    Talked about a potential way that competition between the firms might lead to static efficiency
    Then talked about how the data suggested that actually it was oligopolistic likely to cause more anti competitive
    Not take into account externalities so nationalisation might have been better
    Semi evaluated bits
    Then talked about the rising contestability ? Mad point they were talking about innovation so I said how this would benefit and stuff

Sugar tax:
    Demerit good/asymmetric information
    Explain the external costs to the nhs and why that would be a problem
    Drew the diagram
    And a supply diagram and explained the effect on costs + employment
    Price increase depends on elasticity
    Could be regressive + unemployment cause worse gov failure
    Depends it acts as a nudge for firms to reduce sugar content could be better off, (but depends on market structure)lower prices, healthier
    Then talked about how it didn't deal with irrational thinking and suggested a nudge policy I think I evaluated by saying it's not our right to judge someone's lifestyle
    I can't rememeber what else I wrote kinda forgot a lot of things

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emilybroome)
    Context 1 was the bar chart and revenue
    Bar chart was revenue or worker?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamza Rashid)
    Could someone help give an estimate to the mark i should get for the context 1 25 marker about the privatisation of the royal mail?
    The points i discussed was that there will be benefits because of productive efficiency, allocative efficiency, dynamic efficiency. (I went on to analyse this in greater detail of course). I think spoke about the cost to workers because it mentioned something in extract C how workers are being replaced by technology. I also mentioned how their monopoly power could cause them to exploit economies of scale as to reduce competition. In my conclusion, I spoke about whether the royal mail being privatised is better than it being nationalised. As a final judgement, i said that the benefits outweigh the costs assuming the regulation is strict and bigger than the market to prevent regulatory capture.
    I know that it is a lot to ask for but could someone please give me an estimate as to what they reckon I got?
    Thank you very much for any replies!
    Without looking at your full answer , diagrams used, chain of reasoning, depth of analysis is not really possible to give a mark. The points seem fine but I have seen situations were the correct points were given but there was lack of development and it was awarded low L3

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.