Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A-level Economics new 7136 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hamza Rashid)
    Could someone help give an estimate to the mark i should get for the context 1 25 marker about the privatisation of the royal mail?
    The points i discussed was that there will be benefits because of productive efficiency, allocative efficiency, dynamic efficiency. (I went on to analyse this in greater detail of course). I think spoke about the cost to workers because it mentioned something in extract C how workers are being replaced by technology. I also mentioned how their monopoly power could cause them to exploit economies of scale as to reduce competition. In my conclusion, I spoke about whether the royal mail being privatised is better than it being nationalised. As a final judgement, i said that the benefits outweigh the costs assuming the regulation is strict and bigger than the market to prevent regulatory capture.
    I know that it is a lot to ask for but could someone please give me an estimate as to what they reckon I got?
    Thank you very much for any replies!
    Damn wish I read the data about the costs to labour I skimmed read, all i can say I think your points are valid, I don't know how to band it but should be high. Wish I thought of your points

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imogensmith123)
    I think I did the same to I did a negative externality diagram isntead of demerit diagram but then when I applied it I said it shows the demerit good which has negative externalities because I got myself confused, would that be acceptable

One way around this is if you refered to negative externalities associated with the impact on the NHS. More sugar consumed = more strain on health services = less health services available to others. Therefore the private cost of consuming these drinks e.g obesity is less than the social cost of insufficient health care available for others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsamor)
    Damn wish I read the data about the costs to labour I skimmed read, all i can say I think your points are valid, I don't know how to band it but should be high. Wish I thought of your points
    I'm sure your points were fine. Remember, there are a variety of points that you could say so just because you did not say the labor cost one does not mean your points arent good!
    Thank you for the response

ReputationRep:
    For context A 9 marker, do you think you could make the argument that in the long run that there average costs may fall due to economies of scale and thus profits rise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keynes24)
    Without looking at your full answer , diagrams used, chain of reasoning, depth of analysis is not really possible to give a mark. The points seem fine but I have seen situations were the correct points were given but there was lack of development and it was awarded low L3
    That is a valid point.
    Thank you very much

ReputationRep:
    i did the poverty question too, and also wrote about trickle down and incentives of market, so i think that was alright. I also think about education and benefits which i think are relevant, what do you think? I think NMW was a good point, i should have written about that
    (Original post by DmdhJa)
    It is good but if you spoke about signalling incentive and rationing function that would of been better i thinkin

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peddle)
    For context A 9 marker, do you think you could make the argument that in the long run that there average costs may fall due to economies of scale and thus profits rise?
    To an extent, I guess that is correct. However, what the question was trying to get at was that it burdens the company.

ReputationRep:
    To an extent, I guess that is correct. However, what the question was trying to get at was that it burdens the company.
    Yeh I get that now but am wondering if I'm likely to get any marks for it.

ReputationRep:
    What points did people discuss in essay 3 questions 13? (15 marker on sugary drinks)
    I spoke about information failure causing individuals to think about short term pleaser rather than long-term illnesses. I also spoke about how they do not really care too much about what's best for society. I then spoke about how the prices of sugary drinks are relatively cheap.

ReputationRep:
    how many marks do you think a C will be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by peddle)
    Yeh I get that now but am wondering if I'm likely to get any marks for it.
    Of course, you would! I did a question last time where AQA gave marks to 2 different answers which were COMPLETELY different because the question wasn't specific enough which is arguably the same issue now. Providing you spoke about the right things in good detail, I can't see why you won't get a good mark.

ReputationRep:
    What points did people discuss in essay 3 questions 13? (15 marker on sugary drinks)
    I spoke about information failure causing individuals to think about short term pleaser rather than long-term illnesses. I also spoke about how they do not really care too much about what's best for society. I then spoke about how the prices of sugary drinks are relatively cheap.
    That's what I wrote too!! Except the price bit, thought I crazy when I started talking about short run satisfaction vs long run health effects but I didnt know what else to right, talked about asymmetric information, something about social norms idek

ReputationRep:
    Of course, you would! I did a question last time where AQA gave marks to 2 different answers which were COMPLETELY different because the question wasn't specific enough which is arguably the same issue now. Providing you spoke about the right things in good detail, I can't see why you won't get a good mark.
    Well that's a lot more reassuring, Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't draw any diagram for the essay 3 15 marker because I thought the negative externality diagram should be the result of overconsumption instead of the cause. I talked about asymmetric information, inferior good and the unawareness of MPB greater than MSB will I be fine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thebigtommyowen)
    Only did one diagram. What was your other one?
    A diagram showing the loss of supernormal profit and the increase in output (showing movement on the MC curve)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kaho326)
    I didn't draw any diagram for the essay 3 15 marker because I thought the negative externality diagram should be the result of overconsumption instead of the cause. I talked about asymmetric information, inferior good and the unawareness of MPB greater than MSB will I be fine?
    They are very good points so I would say yes that should be fine. However, you would lose a few marks for not having a diagram.

ReputationRep:
    When calculating the concentration you just had to add them right?

ReputationRep:
    They are very good points so I would say yes that should be fine. However, you would lose a few marks for not having a diagram.
    Was I supposed to draw the negative externality diagram? It just doesn't make sense to me...

ReputationRep:
    For the 15 marker about overconsumption, i basically talked about how economic agents do not take into account social costs of their activities and are only concerned about private costs because of imperfect information. Therefore being misallocation of resources and market failure. I used the diagram showing MSC/MPC. How many marks will i have lost for this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsamor)
    For the 15 Mark i wrote similar things only i talked about the people not realising external costs and private costs on health is that wrong?

Your application and context is really strong though woah!!

For my 25 marker I talked a lot on behavioural econ as well as a tax so I hope it's not too bad xD
    Thanks, I would have liked to have spoke more on the behavioural view but brought it into conclusion so happy days and no your 15 marker is certainly correct.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.