Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A-level Economics new 7136 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion] Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsamor)
    i did not explain my nine marker very well at all, I didnt even consider shifting ac/mc I thought it was just a simple If costs would increase, abnormal profits would decrease and the likely scenario would be a firm making normal profits if they were forced to continue with this, although I think I just said like they would end up making normal profits kind of a disaster for me
    I did the exact same, dw. Lots of people really struggled with that. I drew a diagram showing abnormal profit from producing where MR=MC and then drew another diagram showing the long-run position for monopolistic competition where only normal profit is being made. Wasn't my finest moment in the exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RG110man)
    I did the exact same, dw. Lots of people really struggled with that. I drew a diagram showing abnormal profit from producing where MR=MC and then drew another diagram showing the long-run position for monopolistic competition where only normal profit is being made. Wasn't my finest moment in the exam
    Ah okay, I think it was such a weird question. I just marked another point of normal profits on my diagram but I marked it wrong whoops. I'm sure they'll have to consider this when marking

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have a list of macro 15 and 25 markers?

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay, I think it was such a weird question. I just marked another point of normal profits on my diagram but I marked it wrong whoops. I'm sure they'll have to consider this when marking
    I'm not sure whether my argument was flawed, but I argued that because Royal Mail are obligated to deliver 6 days a week this would increase their costs and therefore make them less competitive than rival delivery firms. Demand for Royal Mail parcel delivery would therefore decrease. Showed the shift in the MR and AR until the AR curve is tangential with the AC curve and said that at this point only normal profit is made. Did a couple of definitions too and drew a correct monopoly diagram so hopefully I get at least a few marks :/

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure whether my argument was flawed, but I argued that because Royal Mail are obligated to deliver 6 days a week this would increase their costs and therefore make them less competitive than rival delivery firms. Demand for Royal Mail parcel delivery would therefore decrease. Showed the shift in the MR and AR until the AR curve is tangential with the AC curve and said that at this point only normal profit is made. Did a couple of definitions too and drew a correct monopoly diagram so hopefully I get at least a few marks :/
    I dont even know what I was thinking xD surely we can't get marked too lowly, because who knows what the actual answer is like and as long as we explained it right (I hope)

ReputationRep:
    I dont even know what I was thinking xD surely we can't get marked too lowly, because who knows what the actual answer is like and as long as we explained it right (I hope)
    Yeah, I'd hope to have at least 4/9 just for some definitions and diagrams. At the end of the day on a paper out of 80, the 9 marker isn't going to be a major issue. Much prefer to mess up a 9 mark question than a 25 mark question lol.

Just gotta concentrate on macro now. I feel more confident with that so hopefully I can pull back any silly marks I lost on micro.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I'd hope to have at least 4/9 just for some definitions and diagrams. At the end of the day on a paper out of 80, the 9 marker isn't going to be a major issue. Much prefer to mess up a 9 mark question than a 25 mark question lol.

Just gotta concentrate on macro now. I feel more confident with that so hopefully I can pull back any silly marks I lost on micro.
    5 marks could be the difference between an A and a B - just saying

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamcat)
    5 marks could be the difference between an A and a B - just saying
    True. But I'd still rather flop a 9 marker than 15 or 25 marker lol

ReputationRep:
    The UPS requirement is looking at cost not AR/MR. Any change in prices due to higher/lower cost will make you move along the AR curve not cause a shift. It is a rise in cost of production so either AC or MC/AC depending on whether you consider it a variable or fixed cost.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keynes24)
    The UPS requirement is looking at cost not AR/MR. Any change in prices due to higher/lower cost will make you move along the AR curve not cause a shift. It is a rise in cost of production so either AC or MC/AC depending on whether you consider it a variable or fixed cost.
    Fair enough. I didn't really know what I was doing for that question so it's not like I'm gonna lose sleep over it. I felt like the rest of the exam went okay

ReputationRep:
    I did exactly the same as you! Think i just overcomplicated it by thinking it was monopolistic competition but i agree the context did make it a bit confusing. Oh well like you said, drew a monopoly diagram so maybe some marks there

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theRAV)
    I did exactly the same as you! Think i just overcomplicated it by thinking it was monopolistic competition but i agree the context did make it a bit confusing. Oh well like you said, drew a monopoly diagram so maybe some marks there
    Well if you did some relevant definitions you'll have a couple of marks for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayyboss)
    If anyone did essay 1, please can you tell me what points you made, etc.? cos I done messed up. Half way through, realised I should have done sugar tax question :/
    I did essay 1, the 15 marker was alright I thought? I just drew the monopolistic diagrams in the LR and SR and explained it lol, but i dont think i had enough analysis.
    For the 25 marker, I think i screwed it up, it was all over the place and probably didn't even make sense. What did you write for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by soulgeass)
    ohh my gosh, for the context 1 9 marker i wrote that costs increase because the firm has to operate for longer hours and needs to pay higher rents like why didn't i think of wages as the most obvious thingg
    also i didn't shift the ac curve - i said that production will move to ac = ar
    oh my god same, i thought i was the only one. I put that unlike normal monopolies, by working 6 days a week, the Royal mail is sales/growth maximizing so will just produce normal profits, while reducing its costs. This sounds so wrong compared to everyone elses, how many marks do you think I would have picked up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faatimahshiekh)
    oh my god same, i thought i was the only one. I put that unlike normal monopolies, by working 6 days a week, the Royal mail is sales/growth maximizing so will just produce normal profits, while reducing its costs. This sounds so wrong compared to everyone elses, how many marks do you think I would have picked up?
    Haha, I can't really comment because it all depends on how convincing your argument is! Fingers-crossed everyone's reasoning is valid on whatever it is!

But I have to say, I'm not really familiar with how the postal service industry works generally so I thought it disadvantaged me a bit because it took a bit of my time trying to make sense of the context (the extracts didn't help). This is what I get for staying in a country without a real postal service... :/

ReputationRep:
    What was the full title of essay 3 in the exam yesterday on sugar tax? Can't remember and everyone at my school seemed to love it apart from me who did essay 2 haha?

ReputationRep:
    I think you had to a shift of both MC and AC as it was variable costs increasing rather than fixed costs

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have any idea about Context one's 4 marker. Found it challenging, but rest of paper was nice. Just found it hard to bring in Second year material for Section B

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potsy911)
    Anyone have any idea about Context one's 4 marker. Found it challenging, but rest of paper was nice. Just found it hard to bring in Second year material for Section B
    Yeah dw that four marker LOOOOL

dynamic efficiency my ass

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone remember the exact question for the 15 marker in Essay 2

It was about the causes of poverty but I dont remember if it was UK specific
    I mentioned how unemployment - seasonal, structural and cyclical - related cyclical to geographic immobility and the decline of mining in the North due to Thatcher, low skills leads to low MRP and low income and the lack of owning assets.
    I also mentioned how absolute poverty can be caused by subsistence farming in the developing world - if the question was UK specific this was irrelevant. Would I get marked down for this?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What time of year is the worst for students?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.