Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tdfa98)
    Does anyone remember the exact question for the 15 marker in Essay 2

It was about the causes of poverty but I dont remember if it was UK specific
    I mentioned how unemployment - seasonal, structural and cyclical - related cyclical to geographic immobility and the decline of mining in the North due to Thatcher, low skills leads to low MRP and low income and the lack of owning assets.
    I also mentioned how absolute poverty can be caused by subsistence farming in the developing world - if the question was UK specific this was irrelevant. Would I get marked down for this?
    Pretty sure it didn't say the UK. You'll be fine, they'll be kind and give you app marks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luciferhf)
    Pretty sure it didn't say the UK. You'll be fine, they'll be kind and give you app marks.
    appreciate that

Anyone now what the 4 marker answer for context A

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if anyone had any plans/notes on points for market failure and gov intervention essays? I have my exam tomorrow and so am really worried.
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BintM)
    I did essay 1, the 15 marker was alright I thought? I just drew the monopolistic diagrams in the LR and SR and explained it lol, but i dont think i had enough analysis.
    For the 25 marker, I think i screwed it up, it was all over the place and probably didn't even make sense. What did you write for it?
    Ye, I just saw monopolies and oligopolies in the 25 marker and thought it would be easy but wasn't sure whether it would be better to do sugar tax. Then I compared the 15 markers and monopolistic question was quite easy so I chose that then realised my mistake when I started the 25 marker.

I think the idea was to describe each market and how they can be a potential market failure (i.e. inefficiencies, consumer exploitation through either monopoly abuse or oligopoly collusion, etc.) and therefore gov. should regulate but not always (maybe talk about Economies of scale, innovation, product differentiation and possibly natural monopolies, etc.). Then talk about monopolistic markets and whether gov. should regulate them. Conclusion. Also I think you had to talk about wasteful advertising (X-inefficiency) as it said in the source.

Not that I did all of this or to a good degree as I was stressing too much and rushed it = no logical structure or judgement and minimal evaluation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ayyboss)
    Ye, I just saw monopolies and oligopolies in the 25 marker and thought it would be easy but wasn't sure whether it would be better to do sugar tax. Then I compared the 15 markers and monopolistic question was quite easy so I chose that then realised my mistake when I started the 25 marker.

I think the idea was to describe each market and how they can be a potential market failure (i.e. inefficiencies, consumer exploitation through either monopoly abuse or oligopoly collusion, etc.) and therefore gov. should regulate but not always (maybe talk about Economies of scale, innovation, product differentiation and possibly natural monopolies, etc.). Then talk about monopolistic markets and whether gov. should regulate them. Conclusion. Also I think you had to talk about wasteful advertising (X-inefficiency) as it said in the source.

Not that I did all of this or to a good degree as I was stressing too much and rushed it = no logical structure or judgement and minimal evaluation.
    Same, it was a rushed decision. Oh well lol

I had similar points but i don't think i explained them well tbh. I also talked about the high advertising costs being sunk costs making it more contestable and less competitive but i have no idea if thats a valid point lol :dontknow:

Just got to concentrate on macro now :s

ReputationRep:
    For those that did context B, what did you write for the 9 marker?

regarding MRP difference between male and female and why it causes lower average salary or something for women with low MRP and such???

I feel like I did it wrong, I wrote about how the MRP can increase and how the wages are set at the price, why low mrp means low wages inc a graph but I wrote a lot about the causes of difference in mrp :?

and on top of that what about the 25marker ?

I wrote about increasing the incentive for women to go into higher education+go into the given firms that they talked about -> grants and scholarships in the form of subsidies by the govt, information provision (idek why I thought to mention the 2.2 million women who wanted to work was even a good idea) and make it default that women had to join a trade union -->this promotes efficiencies in monopsonist market --> followed everything up with evaluation and cons of the policies listed.

then for the evaluation i talked about how income inequality might be a good thing, how what the statistics show might be the full picture (men may have more assets and derivatives which may mean males generate a greater income), something else about how the solving equity due to normative judgement might not promote efficient outcomes and how we shouldn't intervene as the income gap between the genders are slowly increasing as more and more females go into higher education.

ReputationRep:

I picked that question. Holy **** it was just so confusing.

It was way too easy to mix up monopolistic and monopoly when you were writing ergh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BintM)
    Same, it was a rushed decision. Oh well lol

I had similar points but i don't think i explained them well tbh. I also talked about the high advertising costs being sunk costs making it more contestable and less competitive but i have no idea if thats a valid point lol :dontknow:

Just got to concentrate on macro now :s
    That's actually a pretty good point but wouldn't it make it less contestable as there would be higher barriers?

I'm just gonna make sure that in macro I should chill out and structure my answer before I write it. Such a good use of time I think.

ReputationRep:
    That's actually a pretty good point but wouldn't it make it less contestable as there would be higher barriers?

I'm just gonna make sure that in macro I should chill out and structure my answer before I write it. Such a good use of time I think.
    Oh yeah lol my bad.

If you have good points and context and all but a bad structure how many marks could you lose?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have good notes on fiscal policy? Like a2 notes. I can never understand how to answer questions involving that unit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amerahussain)
    I wrote this too, but not sure. Surely if Royal Mail are only a working monopoly, they may increase output which reduces AC and pass these onto consumers as lower prices to increase SNP and market share?
    Yeh I definitely think its a possible scenario so we should get at least some marks for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BintM)
    Oh yeah lol my bad.

If you have good points and context and all but a bad structure how many marks could you lose?
    In the aqa mark scheme, a Level 4-5 answer (16+ marks) must be "well organised" and also have "well focused analysis with clear, logical chains of reasoning". So you would probably be limited to Level 3 which is 11-15 marks. But if your analysis and evaluation is strong enough, I guess you might be able to get into level 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tdfa98)
    Does anyone remember the exact question for the 15 marker in Essay 2

It was about the causes of poverty but I dont remember if it was UK specific
    I mentioned how unemployment - seasonal, structural and cyclical - related cyclical to geographic immobility and the decline of mining in the North due to Thatcher, low skills leads to low MRP and low income and the lack of owning assets.
    I also mentioned how absolute poverty can be caused by subsistence farming in the developing world - if the question was UK specific this was irrelevant. Would I get marked down for this?
    It was UK specific. I remember pretty well since I was relating everything to the Uk context. I am sure you will get some credit regardless dont worry about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTSE420)
    It was UK specific. I remember pretty well since I was relating everything to the Uk context. I am sure you will get some credit regardless dont worry about it!
    I agree.. It was definitely UK specific

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FTSE420)
    Explain the main causes of poverty in the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imogensmith123)
    I did essay 3! And I didn't put in about behavioural economic intervention was the needed?
    In the question it mentioned behavioural economics, so it gave you the option to write about it. However, as long as you wrote about alternative government policies you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    do any of you guys reckon financial markets will come up on the macro paper?
    I was expecting a bit more of behavioural economics being tested in the micro but was surprised to see it wasn't heavily included in the paper! (not complaining :P)
    I HATE financial markets fingers cross that doesn't come up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamcat)
    I was expecting a bit more of behavioural economics being tested in the micro but was surprised to see it wasn't heavily included in the paper! (not complaining :P)
    more than possible it will yes but hopefully its a section b

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tamcat)
    Its unlikely to come up as an essay question, it is not a big enough topic. Its more about incorporating it into other essays that hint at it

ReputationRep:
    What did you guys write for the 25 Mark essay on Privatised?? I just waffled I don't even know what I wrote

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.