The Student Room Group

AQA A-level Economics new 7136 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion]

Scroll to see replies

One thing I hope doesn't come up is a context question somewhere along the lines of "Evaluate the usefulness of a fixed exchange rate as opposed to a floating exchange rate"
And then the second context on whether or not it would be beneficial for EU enlargement

If that happens then I've failed hands down
Original post by physicsamor
If they actually do something sneaky with financial markets imma cry as I made the decision not to go over it

Current account deficit pls come up 🙁

Good luck guys :smile:
Original post by Arran1109
One thing I hope doesn't come up is a context question somewhere along the lines of "Evaluate the usefulness of a fixed exchange rate as opposed to a floating exchange rate"
And then the second context on whether or not it would be beneficial for EU enlargement

If that happens then I've failed hands down

this is a very unlikely q - last year there was a similar q on whether the monetary policy should be used to decided exchange rate........ a.k.a. should the exchange rate be fixed
Original post by BintM
Current account deficit pls come up 🙁

Good luck guys :smile:

Good luck!! :smile:
Okay those 25mks were amazing!!! Context 2 essay 1 is what I did
Questions were good but I ran out of time
For the 25 marker on current account deficit reduction policies I completely forgot to talk about supply side policies, i wrote about contractionary fiscal policy (expenditure reducing), devaluation (expenditure reducing) and tariffs. How badly will I get penalised for forgetting supply side?
Original post by LiamHutchings
For the 25 marker on current account deficit reduction policies I completely forgot to talk about supply side policies, i wrote about contractionary fiscal policy (expenditure reducing), devaluation (expenditure reducing) and tariffs. How badly will I get penalised for forgetting supply side?

I did the same, the question was broad and didn't specify any particular policy. As long as you showed good understanding, application and evaluation then you should still be able to reach the top mark band
Reply 768
India context people what did you write for the 25 marker?
Original post by LiamHutchings

If the question didn't ask for Supply Side Policies you cannot get penalised. Devaluation is an expenditure switching policy.
Better than expected. Probably waffled on too much.
Did context 2 and essay 2
Any financial markets question?
Original post by BintM

Did context 2 and essay 2

Same

What did you write for the 15 marker on patterns of trade?
Original post by Arran1109
Okay those 25mks were amazing!!! Context 2 essay 1 is what I did

Same! What type of stuff did you write?

For first one I was like explained what devaluation was and monetary policy
How interest rates can tackle deflation then evaluated that and spoke about QE a bit and then fiscal policy alternative but then I said how Good deflation doesn't necessarily need to have any policy implemented on it cause it's good then overall evaluation like it depends on confidence future espectationd and like initial level of economic activity

Essay 1
Explained unemployment and talked about other policies and then said 4.6% unemployment lowest in 40 years
then Spoke about how it can lead to inflation but also depends on level of economic activity therefore not inevitable will lead to conflict
Good for economic growth
Can increase budget deficit in short run but can reduce in long run
and then overall evaluation

How about you? 😊😊
On the 25 marker on monetary policy in UK and Japan I only briefly spoke about a supply side alternative and didn't mention fiscal policy, how much will i get penalised?
Reply 775
Did Context 2 and Essay 1. Questions were ok but not sure how I did.

Context 2:
Calculation not a drama.
4 marker on why Japan's economic growth failed to satisfy the macroeconomic objective of 'stable economic growth' when compared to the UK. I talked about how Japan's growth was not always positive and how the range of growth was greater than the UK's range and therefore less stable.
9 marker on how an increase in productivity causes deflation. Went well, defined deflation and did a diagram of LRAS shifting to the right and therefore PL going down.
25 marker on if monetary policy is best for tackling deflation. Talked about reducing interest rates and QE. Diagram of AD shifting to the right and therefore inflation occurring. Then contrasted with Fiscal policy with the example of increasing benefits payments. Talked about how this could also shift AS to the left due to people preferring to be unemployed than work and therefore also counter deflation though there are obvious drawbacks to this.

15 marker on how Gov can reduce natural unemployment. Went fine, talked about how natural unemployment is structural and frictional and talked about direct gov hiring people (military), supply side policies to reeducate structurally unemployed people, cutting taxes on businesses/ having a 'robot tax' to combat automation and improving mobility of labour.

25 marker on tradeoffs between reducing unemployment and other macro objectives. Talked about how cutting corporation tax could cause unemployment to go down but tradeoff with budget deficit (laffer curve to demonstrate point and evaluation). Then talked about tradeoff with inflation (as+as curve) and then finally a tradeoff with positive balance of payments. Bit annoyed I didn't talk about economic growth, equality or the obvious example of using a Phillips curve to demonstrate the relationship of inflation and unemployment. Hopefully three points will be enough.

How did I do?
(edited 6 years ago)
guys what did you say or the 15 marker on pattters of trade can you say inflation rate and exchange rate changes??
i think context 2, 9 marker was how an increase in productivity leads to deflation...SRAS shifting to the right
Goodbye my firm uni choice... :frown:
Reply 779
Original post by Massos
Did Context 2 and Essay 1. Questions were ok but not sure how I did.

Context 2:
Calculation not a drama.
4 marker on why Japan's economic growth failed to satisfy the macroeconomic objective of 'stable economic growth' when compared to the UK. I talked about how Japan's growth was not always positive and how the range of growth was greater than the UK's range and therefore less stable.
9 marker on how an increase in productivity causes inflation. Went well, defined inflation and did a diagram of LRAS shifting to the right and therefore PL going up.
25 marker on if monetary policy is best for tackling deflation. Talked about reducing interest rates and QE. Diagram of AD shifting to the right and therefore inflation occurring. Then contrasted with Fiscal policy with the example of increasing benefits payments. Talked about how this could also shift AS to the left due to people preferring to be unemployed than work and therefore also counter deflation though there are obvious drawbacks to this.

15 marker on how Gov can reduce natural unemployment. Went fine, talked about how natural unemployment is structural and frictional and talked about direct gov hiring people (military), supply side policies to reeducate structurally unemployed people, cutting taxes on businesses/ having a 'robot tax' to combat automation and improving mobility of labour.

25 marker on tradeoffs between reducing unemployment and other macro objectives. Talked about how cutting corporation tax could cause unemployment to go down but tradeoff with budget deficit (laffer curve to demonstrate point and evaluation). Then talked about tradeoff with inflation (as+as curve) and then finally a tradeoff with positive balance of payments. Bit annoyed I didn't talk about economic growth, equality or the obvious example of using a Phillips curve to demonstrate the relationship of inflation and unemployment. Hopefully three points will be enough.

How did I do?

I thought the nine marker was something like "how does and increase in productivy cause deflation", not inflation? But other than that looks good

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending