Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A-level Economics new 7136 - 06, 13 & 19 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion] Watch

ReputationRep:
    If financial markets came up on paper 3 what sort of questions might they ask? Don't see how it could link to micro.... Thanks for any comments

ReputationRep:
    Hi my teacher is an Examiner at AQA, he says A* will be around 66/67 on the first 2 papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archie341)
    Hi my teacher is an Examiner at AQA, he says A* will be around 66/67 on the first 2 papers.
    So As will be around 59-61 then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AzaSad)
    So As will be around 59-61 then?
    I mean that's around 75% which seems reasonable for an A I guess...

ReputationRep:
    Hi I though that macro paper went really well and revision paid off, a couple things I am worried about, and if any of you could tell me the impact it would make would be great- I did context 2 and 1st question on section B. For the 9 marker I only shifted SRAS but not LRAS, I discussed it well and in detail about why SRAS would shift right and cause deflation. Will I lose many marks for not analysing LRAS? And also for the monetary policy 25 marker I did one big evaluative para on monetary policy to tackle deflation, and another 2 on fiscal and supply side with lots of graphs to reference. However since the question asked about monetary policy should I have talked about other policies I did talk the most about monetary policy Cheers guys

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dryads)
    Hi I though that macro paper went really well and revision paid off, a couple things I am worried about, and if any of you could tell me the impact it would make would be great- I did context 2 and 1st question on section B. For the 9 marker I only shifted SRAS but not LRAS, I discussed it well and in detail about why SRAS would shift right and cause deflation. Will I lose many marks for not analysing LRAS? And also for the monetary policy 25 marker I did one big evaluative para on monetary policy to tackle deflation, and another 2 on fiscal and supply side with lots of graphs to reference. However since the question asked about monetary policy should I have talked about other policies I did talk the most about monetary policy Cheers guys
    Talking about the LRAS wasn't necessary, the question indicated they mainly wanted the SRAS. As for the 25marker I don't understand your question? You DID talk about other policies (fiscal) as well as monetary so it's fine? Not fully getting what you're asking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gemmamcconville)
    If financial markets came up on paper 3 what sort of questions might they ask? Don't see how it could link to micro.... Thanks for any comments
    Well financial market failure uses micro and macro concepts when you think about it
    Profitability of commercial banks
    Effect on consumer welfare if banks charge higher rates

I have no idea what I'm talking about just trying to think logically

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotKidding)
    Talking about the LRAS wasn't necessary, the question indicated they mainly wanted the SRAS. As for the 25marker I don't understand your question? You DID talk about other policies (fiscal) as well as monetary so it's fine? Not fully getting what you're asking
    Yeah I did thank you, I wrote about all 3 policies but got worried after because it said monetary so I didn't know if they wanted just monetary policy evaluation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archie341)
    It doesn't matter whether your teacher is an examiner or not. Grade boundaries are done when around 80% of the papers are marked. He/she can only speculate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dryads)
    Yeah I did thank you, I wrote about all 3 policies but got worried after because it said monetary so I didn't know if they wanted just monetary policy evaluation
    No, when an economics question says Evaluate that X policy is the best policy the structure is usually: talk about X policy, move to Y policy, move to Z policy if there is one and then do some evaluation. Your method was fine, don't worry

ReputationRep:
    Also with grade boundaries understand that the student room does not represent the entire demographic of people sitting the exam. We don't know how everyone else has done

ReputationRep:
    There could be something to do with financial market regulation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keynes24)
    It doesn't matter whether your teacher is an examiner or not. Grade boundaries are done when around 80% of the papers are marked. He/she can only speculate.
    That's what im saying?

ReputationRep:
    Guys I think I might have messed up big time. Did the economic development essay context 1, but didn't talk about globalisation or trade liberalisation. My essay was mainly on supply side policies.

This is what I did..

First para - Talked about market based strategies, about privatisation. It would mean firms more efficient then lower prices (with a clear chain of analysis). Then I linked it that if India made the railways privatised, it would mean lower fares, so will open up access to more job opportunities for people who couldn't previously afford the higher fares. So higher economics development and so on.Then I said about firms exploiting consumers and it may not lead to lower fares. Might have strayed too far into micro for this one.

Eval - I can't remember exactly what I wrote here if im honest but i do know I made sure to put something for the evaluation.

2nd para - Talked about interventionist polices instead like perhaps the gov should increase spending on schools or infrastructure to attract FDI. For schools I also put that since over 50% of workers are in low paid agricultural work, perhaps an increased spending on education may allow these workers to send their children to schools so would lead to higher skills and so bigger incentive for FDI.
    Then talked about it being expensive, and an opportunity cost, perhaps their may be cuts on policing. This would increase level of crime and so social costs would increase.

Eval - Talked about time lags, and no guarantee it would work.What do you think this would get?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone suggesting it's SRAS has missed the point of the question entirely. Deflation is sustained and data from Japan's and the UK's economy would show supply side policies, reforms undertaken by the private sector aimed at improving competitiveness shift LRAS. SRAS is wage rates etc, short run fluctuations.

ReputationRep:
    Guys I talked about currency manipulation as a policy to correct a current account deficit but I wrote the wrong definition >.> I said when a country sells reserves of its own currency but I think it's foreign currency they sell. But my whole explanation was correct. Do you think it'll make that particular point look weaker now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by himynameiskieran)
    Anyone suggesting it's SRAS has missed the point of the question entirely. Deflation is sustained and data from Japan's and the UK's economy would show supply side policies, reforms undertaken by the private sector aimed at improving competitiveness shift LRAS. SRAS is wage rates etc, short run fluctuations.
    I spoke about both in my answer, but only showed a shift in the SRAS as this showed deflation with the falling price level and rise in national output. But I mainly spoke about how increasing the productive capacity of the economy along with more productive workers from training schemes and more efficient capital equipment will help to contribute to deflation in the long-run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holdsworth1)
    I spoke about both in my answer, but only showed a shift in the SRAS as this showed deflation with the falling price level and rise in national output. But I mainly spoke about how increasing the productive capacity of the economy along with more productive workers from training schemes and more efficient capital equipment will help to contribute to deflation in the long-run.
    Yeah it's probably right, I was aiming it towards people saying it's solely SRAS when SRAS isn't really relevant.You could also talk about a firms AC shifting downwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by himynameiskieran)
    Yeah it's probably right, I was aiming it towards people saying it's solely SRAS when SRAS isn't really relevant.You could also talk about a firms AC shifting downwards.
    Yeah, I think you could argue both though as shifting SRAS downwards does show deflation. But the vast majority of my answer spoke about the long run as LRAS increasing with increased productivity for various reasons relieves inflationary pressures so could lead to deflation, I just got confused at the last minute as shifting LRAS did not show deflation, so used SRAS instead for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holdsworth1)
    Yeah, I think you could argue both though as shifting SRAS downwards does show deflation. But the vast majority of my answer spoke about the long run as LRAS increasing with increased productivity for various reasons relieves inflationary pressures so could lead to deflation, I just got confused at the last minute as shifting LRAS did not show deflation, so used SRAS instead for some reason.
    Fair enough my dude, to show deflation you need the AD curve too, with LRAS shifting right the price level falls

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.