Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...2-QP-JUN15.PDF

Question 2 (c) i

I haven't a clue where they've got the formula used in the markscheme from, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iMacJack)
    http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects...2-QP-JUN15.PDF

Question 2 (c) i

I haven't a clue where they've got the formula used in the markscheme from, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
    Two ways:

1) Standard formula way:

Electric potential is defined to be

V = \frac{Q}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 r} \Rightarrow Q = 4\pi\varepsilon_0 V r by rearranging. Select a value of V and r from the graph and substitute.

2) Notice from the formula above, if you have a graph of V against 1/r, then the gradient will be  \frac{Q}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 } . Work out the gradient and multiply by  4 \pi \varepsilon_0 .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    Two ways:

1) Standard formula way:

Electric potential is defined to be

V = \frac{Q}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 r} \Rightarrow Q = 4\pi\varepsilon_0 V r by rearranging. Select a value of V and r from the graph and substitute.

2) Notice from the formula above, if you have a graph of V against 1/r, then the gradient will be  \frac{Q}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 } . Work out the gradient and multiply by  4 \pi \varepsilon_0 .
    Ahhh! A simple re-arragement, how have I missed that! Oops!

Thanks a bunch, also the second method is interesting and good for understanding it more too.

Cheers

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 8, 2017
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.