Is English Literature worth taking?

Watch
vimalrj
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey,

I am currently doing IGCSEs (English as a First Language, Maths, ICT, Physics, Chemistry, Biology, Business Studies) and I am not sure whether I should take English Literature. It would earn me the ICE award too.

However, it will be a lot of workload and I am not sure I'll be able to cope. I am generally an A* student. Is the extra subject and ICE award worth it? I am probably going to pursue Computer Engineering and do A Levels after this.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
ChrisD0
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Computer Engineering is a good choice and so is the Maths and triple science! Only other thing I would suggest (strongly suggest), is Further Maths.
Also, I would advise against ICT. It is in no way tied to Computer Science or Engineering, more of a learn how to use Microsoft Office kiddie subject. The current specification is very weak (unless they're changing it in time for you, please check), and a further warning; I wasn't far off a hundred percent in the theory exam, but for God knows what reason I got a C in the abundant controlled assessments (honestly don't know why; I followed the instructions well). ICT was my only B at GCSE, very glad I dumped the nightmare of a subject at A-Level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
tennysons_maud
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
English lit's great if you're planning to do History or another language at A level. Or basically anything that requires language/analytic/essay-writing skills. It also helps with the closer analysis in English language.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (131)
41.99%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (35)
11.22%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (26)
8.33%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (67)
21.47%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.9%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.09%

Watched Threads