Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA A2 Religious Studies Unit 3B & 4C RST3B/RST4C 19 & 27 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion] Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbeSk)
    degrazia commented on that in specific, and nicholson thats general which i just applied. uuuuh i will revise like the tiniest bit BUT, for ethical systems im also learning divine command theory (deontology), and natural law (deontology) a little, so could apply them? then like just will probably look over conscience a little to see how it can be applied?
    Yeah I'll do the same then. Just out of curiosity, what hybrid ethical systems are you learning?

I'm using virtue ethics, then will argue for situation ethics and rule utilitarianism being sort of hybrid. Then act, rule utilitarianism (again) and situation (again) for teleological. Then kant, natural law and divine command theory for deontological.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harryg98)
    Yeah I'll do the same then. Just out of curiosity, what hybrid ethical systems are you learning?

I'm using virtue ethics, then will argue for situation ethics and rule utilitarianism being sort of hybrid. Then act, rule utilitarianism (again) and situation (again) for teleological. Then kant, natural law and divine command theory for deontological.
    ok so im doing, virtue theory, situation ethics and STRONG rule util as hybrid, so same as u?? im doing pretty much exactly that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbeSk)
    ok so im doing, virtue theory, situation ethics and STRONG rule util as hybrid, so same as u?? im doing pretty much exactly that?
    yeah cool, well good luck and thanks again for your help

ReputationRep:
    yeah cool, well good luck and thanks again for your help
    uhh ur welcome, i can post more tomorrow if it would help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbeSk)
    uhh ur welcome, i can post more tomorrow if it would help
    yeah sure haha, I'm predicted an A* so don't mean to sound cocky but I reckon I could be of some help to you in any way so don't hesitate to ask and I'll try my best!

ReputationRep:
    yeah sure haha, I'm predicted an A* so don't mean to sound cocky but I reckon I could be of some help to you in any way so don't hesitate to ask and I'll try my best!
    plssss yes like especially w/ hybrid virtue theory, and natural law as deontological, dont really get them TOO much x tytyty

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for which question may come up RST4C, I'm thinking something deontological maybe, or ethical issues.

ReputationRep:
    Any predictions for RST4C?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah just learning ways of moral decision making is fine. Also, every single year since 2011 there has been a question on religious then a question on ethical systems - so do you reckon it'll be fine just to revise ethical systems? Or is this risky as there is no certainty that they will follow the same structure?
    What exactly comes under religious
    and ethical systems so i know ethical systems are like deontology and teleological but what comes under religious as in the conscience ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by revision1)
    What exactly comes under religious
    and ethical systems so i know ethical systems are like deontology and teleological but what comes under religious as in the conscience ??
    Yeah conscience, religious teachings/laws and institutions.

Every year (from what I can find), question 3 (05 & 06) has asked about one of the above - to do with religion. Then question 4 (07 & 08) has always asked about the ethical systems and how you apply them to ethical issues.

One exception was in 2011 when 07 just purely asked 'examine ethical issues' even though I guess you should use the systems in this answer.

That's why I'm revising just ethical systems (and glance over conscience)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah conscience, religious teachings/laws and institutions.

Every year (from what I can find), question 3 (05 & 06) has asked about one of the above - to do with religion. Then question 4 (07 & 08) has always asked about the ethical systems and how you apply them to ethical issues.

One exception was in 2011 when 07 just purely asked 'examine ethical issues' even though I guess you should use the systems in this answer.

That's why I'm revising just ethical systems (and glance over conscience)
    Alright okay thanks! How would you structure the ao1 and ao2? How many ethical points to use to ensure I get high marks? So in terms of ethical systems are you just revising deontology and teleological??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bbeSk)
    plssss yes like especially w/ hybrid virtue theory, and natural law as deontological, dont really get them TOO much x tytyty
    Virtue Theory (hybrid):
    Principally concerned with the idea of the human character and asks how you can be a better person. VT is interested in defining good people and the qualities that make them good. Utilitarians and deontologists think that right behaviour comes before right character. VT puts this the other way round - should be less concerned with actions/consequences, and more about the character of the moral agent. In other words, while other ethical theories concentrate simply on the process of moral decision making, VT is concerned about the process of how to become a moral person.

The roots of VT are in Greek philosophy, especially Aristotle - eudaimonia, golden/virtuous mean - and modern contributors are Elizabeth Anscombe, Alasdair MacIntyre and Philppa Foot (look more into them).

Natural Law (deontological):
    In NL, the right thing is that which is in accordance with the purpose of what it is to be human. Aquinas' take is by far the most influential and he argued that God created the world according to natural laws whereby life is sustained and everything functions smoothly. God instilled everything with purposes and the things humans seek are called 'basic goods', such as self-presevation and reproduction. Aquinas said we don't need the bible, or religion, or church in order to understand NL. Instead, our instinct shows us the basic goods, and reason allows us to derive the NL from them. Right acts are those that are simply in accordance with NL.

If we apply this to ethical issues, those which promote life and procreation for example, are the right ones as they link to the basic goods.

ReputationRep:
    Alright okay thanks! How would you structure the ao1 and ao2? How many ethical points to use to ensure I get high marks? So in terms of ethical systems are you just revising deontology and teleological??
    Structure all depends on the question. Looking at the AO1 then it normally asks you to examine the use of a system(s) in relation to medical developments or business practice so intro (outline system) -> medical/business example -> good use of system in accordance to e.g. -> bad use of system in accordance to e.g. -> another medical/business example -> good use -> bad use -> brief general conclusion

AO2: it normally asks about relevance/strengths & weaknesses of a system(s) in relation to moral issues so intro (outline system) -> strength 1 w/ moral issue -> strength 2 w/ moral issue -> general strengths (or weaknesses of other systems) -> weakness 1 w/ moral issue -> weakness 2 w/ moral issue -> general weaknesses (or strengths of other systems) -> detailed opinionated conclusion

Think this makes sense haha, that's the structure I'd use at least. For the questions regarding the religious side - I haven't got a clue tbf.

Also, in terms of ethical systems use teleological/deontological AND hybrid (combination of two, e.g. virtue theory (see above))

ReputationRep:
    Structure all depends on the question. Looking at the AO1 then it normally asks you to examine the use of a system(s) in relation to medical developments or business practice so intro (outline system) -> medical/business example -> good use of system in accordance to e.g. -> bad use of system in accordance to e.g. -> another medical/business example -> good use -> bad use -> brief general conclusion

AO2: it normally asks about relevance/strengths & weaknesses of a system(s) in relation to moral issues so intro (outline system) -> strength 1 w/ moral issue -> strength 2 w/ moral issue -> general strengths (or weaknesses of other systems) -> weakness 1 w/ moral issue -> weakness 2 w/ moral issue -> general weaknesses (or strengths of other systems) -> detailed opinionated conclusion

Think this makes sense haha, that's the structure I'd use at least. For the questions regarding the religious side - I haven't got a clue tbf.

Also, in terms of ethical systems use teleological/deontological AND hybrid (combination of two, e.g. virtue theory (see above))
    Thank you for clearing that up 😊

ReputationRep:
    So basically all I need to know for the ethical part are

Examples of medical issues
    Deontology
    Teleology
    Virtue ethics -which I haven't been taught but will have to self teach
    What about natural moral law and situation ethics ?

I was taught something about the axe murderer and stuff like bystander effects and mil grams obedience theory this doesn't apply to anything in a2 does it?

ReputationRep:
    So basically all I need to know for the ethical part are

Examples of medical issues
    Deontology
    Teleology
    Virtue ethics -which I haven't been taught but will have to self teach
    What about natural moral law and situation ethics ?

I was taught something about the axe murderer and stuff like bystander effects and mil grams obedience theory this doesn't apply to anything in a2 does it?
    Yep, natural law and situation ethics come up in either deontology/teleology. These are the systems I'm using:

Teleological - Utilitarianism (rule/act), Situation Ethics
    Deontological - Divine Command Theory, Natural Law, Kantian Ethics
    Hybrid ethics - Virtue Theory (then will argue rule utilitarianism and situation ethics can be hybrid systems too)

I haven't learnt about any of those myself, however, relevant information for these essays can be very broad and as long as you apply it to the question then you may be able to somehow.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, natural law and situation ethics come up in either deontology/teleology. These are the systems I'm using:

Teleological - Utilitarianism (rule/act), Situation Ethics
    Deontological - Divine Command Theory, Natural Law, Kantian Ethics
    Hybrid ethics - Virtue Theory (then will argue rule utilitarianism and situation ethics can be hybrid systems too)

I haven't learnt about any of those myself, however, relevant information for these essays can be very broad and as long as you apply it to the question then you may be able to somehow.
    Alright thank you so much again x

Do you know where I could find notes on these topics ?

ReputationRep:
    Alright thank you so much again x

Do you know where I could find notes on these topics ?
    Nah I don't, looking for some myself aha

ReputationRep:
    IS anyone doing the RST4A unit?? eschatology takes forever to soak in lmao esp christian based ahhh

ReputationRep:
    Also do we mention conscience so people like Piaget john lock St. Paul's?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.