Turn on thread page Beta

Animal Planet watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Despite their decidedly mythical existence, I do have a great liking of dragons.

As far as worldly beasts are concerned, I'm rather fond of cats. I actually think the two species quite similar in a way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moncal)
    I like tigers. I wish I had a domestic one.

Oh yeah. No seriously, you sure about that? What if it turned against you?!

BTW, whoever said panda, good choice - soo cute - altho they endangered

And yes, mythical creatures are allowed too, for whoever asked (I forget ur name).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pegasus)
    Pandas, they are just the best.
    I agree, i want one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebladez777.5)
    As for the wild....Elephants are pretty cool.
    Generally speaking no animal would dare attack a healthy full grown elephant. The true king of the 'jungle' IMO.

An elephant never forgets

ReputationRep:
    Oh I suppose I'd better be patriotic and proud of my country too, so I'll go for the koala as well. Never liked platypus tho, altho I have been fascinated by them. Bit temperamental at times, I've heard (and seen!).

ReputationRep:
    chinchillas

oh and cats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Generally speaking no animal would dare attack a healthy full grown elephant. The true king of the 'jungle' IMO.

An elephant never forgets
    Actually at waterholes prides of lions usually stay to hunt down arriving elephants. Seen it on a documentry - a bunch of lions actually got an elephant (poor elephant really).

And btw for the cat-haters cat do do some stuff - saw on TV a cat once rescued his owner from a burgular or summit.

Personally I like snakes. They're soo cool. Also love literally all kinds of sea life, orca whales are pretty cool, apparently they're simply a giant dolphin. And did you know dophins are one of only three creatures able to recognise themselves? - the three are man, apes (i think) and dolphins. For weird facts, watch a load of documentries - I'm packed full of strange and wonderful facts - useless ones at that! (unfortunately TV has a tendency to repeat the same facts over and over in different progs so for any spider-lovers, how many times have you heard that a spider dissolves his prey's insides and sucks it out as a sort of milkshake? - I've heard it too many times - comes up on every spider prog. Btw don't get me wrong I hate spiders. But they're interesting nonetheless. In fact I like all weird animals, insects, deep sea life like the gulper eel! Snakes... quite like sharks too..... But dunno why but monkeys are the one thing I never liked and was never interested in - I'd watch everything else!)

Actually I'm not too keen on watching birds either, although there are some that are very clever - this bird sees that fish would come up to eat the bread crumbs given by people. So the bird goes and get some bread crumbs, dump in on the water and wait for the fish. Oh and for wildlife documentries I quite like flowers - the carnivorous flowers like the ones that gives out the odour of decay to attract flies so they drop into the flower and drowns in its digestive juices, while the crab spider lives within the lid of the flower and eats the remains of the fly corpse. Ummmmm - does everyone think I'm weird now?????????

And quicksand! I watched a documentry on quicksand it's well cool. Never do the see-saw motion when you get stuck cus that gets you deeper into the sand. Quicksand is bascially silt I think - just watery sand and it's when the water leaves that you have a problem cus then you're stuck and the sand won't budge. Best way of getting out is actually the vibrate your legs (or whatever part of body you got stuck) so the sand loosens. Oh and snakes! If anyone is ever lucky enough to be strangled by an anaconda - always bend its tail backwards and it'll release you almost immediately. Or pour warm/hot water all over the snake and yourself. Or alcohol into its eyes and mouth would also work. Never stab it though cus they tend to tighten if you do that. Someone actually managed to kill an anaconda by biting it behind its head - pretty amazing.

Now I'm just interested as to WHY anacondas release you when you bend its tail - any ideas people?

Ok I bet everyone thinks I'm a weirdo now lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    Ok I bet everyone thinks I'm a weirdo now lol
    No! I do not think you're weird in the slightest...

In fact, you win first prize for being 'the most Knowledgable of Animals' on this forum, 2004. You've won it (or actually, I can't do that, but if I were allowed to I'd award you).

Nah, seriously tho - that's awesome. Even I wasn't aware of how Dolphins can regonise themselves, and I study psyc here.

Anyway, thought I'd add another one:

Tasmanian Tiger! Tho they're not cute, they're more facinating. Alright, I feel about 10 here, albeit the fact that my 21st birthday is looming somewhere in the distance (oh, it's not till September, got another month of not officially being an official adult to go, please don't go by so fast).

Anyway I'd better actually go do some uni work!

Luv from me.

ReputationRep:
    My favourite domestic animal is a desert tortoise.. the type with high shells, yellowish with a greenish star on their back. They crawl around the house and are so pretty. I used to have one until my lil sister didn't care for it enough and its eyes got pecked out by ants!

I love unicorns, especially pink ones. But they don't exist.

Iguanas and monitor lizards also make lovely domestic pets. They're really obedient and eat rats, snakes and insects when they're really big. Whee!!

As you can see, I don't really like furry animals.

ReputationRep:
    In about a week's time, I have to move out of my boyfriend's parent's house... and not be able to watch Animal Planet anytime I want (because they have cable, +100 channels, woah! I'm used to just, like, 5, coming from a solid middle-class/working-class background)... nooo!

We got to house sit, whilst his dad etc. are in Europe, since July, so it's been a good two months, but sadly it all has to end.

But anyway, really enjoyed animal X - it's like the X-files, except animal style. Has any1 else seen it?

ReputationRep:
    I love all animals except I have a fear of insects and reptiles. :shudder:

ReputationRep:
    I would have to have something that can clean up after itself. I don't care much for animals being in the house, so it's either an ant farm or a cat. The cat might be a bit more exciting.

ReputationRep:
    Hehehe me no like insects either but that doesn't stop me watching em on TV Did you know the violin spider, which looks like daddy long legs spiders, are poisonous? But the daddy long legs aren't but their dangerous reputation is apparently suspected to be linked to a mistaken identity with the violin spider. The venom that the violin spider gives out actually dissolves tissues and cells and therefore can cause quite horrifying disfiguration. Never touch one!

And did you know the flower crab spider can change its colour to camaflouge itself so it can ambush prey in flowers? There was actually a very pretty spider about the size of someone's palm that looks peachy pink and hides from the sun - don't remember what its name is though, do however remember the word "sun" is part of its name!

Oh and, again don't remember the butterfly's name, but there is one type of butterfly, looks kinda brown, that drinks blood from corpses!!!!! Cool eh?

Are you still sure I'm not weird? I really aren't!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella83)
    No! I do not think you're weird in the slightest...

In fact, you win first prize for being 'the most Knowledgable of Animals' on this forum, 2004. You've won it (or actually, I can't do that, but if I were allowed to I'd award you).
    *bows with massive grin to a unch of applauding audience as I receives my trophy from danni_bella83 saying "Thank you, thank you."*

Nah really, thanx But I am fascinated by facts like these!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by irisng)
    Nah really, thanx But I am fascinated by facts like these!
    I know, sometimes I don't understand why people totally ignore the coolness of animal life, and choose to (really - I'm serious - girls my age, like 18-21) focus on such...well, boring things.

Hair for instance, I mean, streaks-foils - it just gets, well, boring after a while, no offence. There should be more people like you, irisng, I would find life more interesting - and I'm sure many others would too.

I shall now launch a newer aspect of this 'learning' thread:

Photo's of your pets and/or of animals you think are cool. Cartoons are welcome, and Garfield gets a pass, but any members deciding to make derogatory comments against animals will be banned from this thread, and persecuted (or, I don't know how I'd go about doing that, but I'll try).

Lions are amazing!!!!! they inspire me..... such strength and agility

ReputationRep:
    More people post on this thread! Like I said, animal pics (esp pets) welcome

ReputationRep:
    3 fingered sloth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Paul Jones)
    3 fingered sloth
    I LOVE sloths! They are so cool - and sooo so misunderstood. Take them out of their environment - of course they're going to be, well - sloth like. But watch them in their natural habit, in the jungles of South America - amazing!

ReputationRep:
    The Arctic ground squirrel - did any1 on here even realise that this creature can lower its body temperature to -3 degrees celcius? Well it does - during hibernation! But still, that is damn impressive...

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.