Have you ever been first class on a train? Watch

tazarooni89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, I use it all the time to go between London and Birmingham, sometimes on Virgin and sometimes London Midland.
john2054
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by TheBoysofNYU)
NOT on the weekend.

I am about to. I wonder what kind of breakfast I will get...
I once got given a free business class upgrade, on the way back from London to Derby. It is just a better experience, and i would do it more often, if i was a millionaire!!
TheBoysofNYU
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by tazarooni89)
Yes, I use it all the time to go between London and Birmingham, sometimes on Virgin and sometimes London Midland.
Awesome, so when do you get the good breakfasts on Virgin and when do you get the crappy snack box?

The price also seems insane. Its going to cost me £165 if I book an Advance (single train only) booking!
hezzlington
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Awesome
Genius.

I use the trains a lot, but I've never been first class. Too expensive!
Dhanny
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
How do you travel distances too long to cycle or walk but too near to fly to and that have very poor parking?
I rarely travel long distances and if I do then I get a lift.
For the rest , its either the bus or my lovely loyal bicycle.
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Awesome, so when do you get the good breakfasts on Virgin and when do you get the crappy snack box?
It depends on how long your journey is and also on the time of day.

I've always had just snacks on Virgin, except for one time when I travelled from London to Preston at about 8am, when it was a nice breakfast

The price also seems insane. Its going to cost me £165 if I book an Advance (single train only) booking!
The price also varies depending on what time of day you're travelling (peak, off peak, super off peak), as well as how far in advance you're booking it. It also helps if you have a 16-25 railcard, assuming you're in that age bracket.

I've often made my journey in first class for around £30, so it's not always that bad.
username2965904
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Not in the UK
TheBoysofNYU
Rep:
?
(Original post by tazarooni89)
It depends on how long your journey is and also on the time of day.

I've always had just snacks on Virgin, except for one time when I travelled from London to Preston at about 8am, when it was a nice breakfast

The price also varies depending on what time of day you're travelling (peak, off peak, super off peak), as well as how far in advance you're booking it. It also helps if you have a 16-25 railcard, assuming you're in that age bracket.

I've often made my journey in first class for around £30, so it's not always that bad.
Ah ok - my plan is just to book the earliest train then - thats probably a safe strategy. The time being in the morning is probably the worst thing for the price.
cherryred90s
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
NOT on the weekend.

I am about to. I wonder what kind of breakfast I will get...
I travelled first class with Virgin trains
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

Surely you would be better travelling Business Zone from Snow Hill to Marylebone than with Virgin. It is a little slower but Chiltern's 125s are more comfortable and it is a lot cheaper.
TheBoysofNYU
Rep:
?
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Surely you would be better travelling Business Zone from Snow Hill to Marylebone than with Virgin. It is a little slower but Chiltern's 125s are more comfortable and it is a lot cheaper.
Hmm, I didn't realise they were more comfortable. I always got the impression that Virgin were the premium train company.. I shall investigate...
draculaura
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yep. The virgin trains one is pretty much like the standard ones - accept with tables 'n ****. However, it's *way* more quiet and you get 'free' food/drink. It's more relaxing than feeling in luxury.
MonteCristo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by elekro)
I think it's called sarcasm, correct me if I'm wrong
I have absolutely no idea - perhaps an odd form of sarcasm that went over my head?
GW43125
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.co...ooklet_web.pdf Lists all the East Coast catering- proper food is weekdays only, weekends are snack boxes.

Same applies to west coast, full meals are weekdays only.

I did FC to Edinburgh. I rather enjoyed it, ate far too many sandwiches and learned that I shouldn't be allowed unlimited coffee.
KaylaB
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yup :yep:

Twice, journeys to and from York from London - only because there was a ticket sale and it was only a few pounds more to upgrade to first class.

It was nice, although they messed up my seat reservation for one journey and I ended sitting next to 3 men at a table :rolleyes:
But there were free breakfast rolls and pasties and general drinks and snacks :yum: and leather seats with plug sockets which was a nice touch

Although I have never travelled first class since, because I'm broke :moon:
username2324315
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Twice, once from York to Newcastle because the trains got the carriage tickets mixed up and the standard class was moved to first class, and another time pretty recently from York to London because first class was only £2 cheaper than standard. It's nothing majorly special, but I got free drinks and some snacks I guess
Tiger Rag
  • Very Important Poster
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes:
- once when it was cheaper to buy a first class ticket than a standard class ticket for the same train
- once after doing a marathon
rainbow.panda
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've been in First Class a couple of times, I'm not sure what company it was the first time but it was nice and we got refreshments served at our table. The other time was London Midland and honestly the only difference between that and standard was how well-dressed the other passengers were xD
jameswhughes
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Dhanny)
Ive never been on a train in my whole life span consisting of 18 years......

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you live in the UK? :shock:
Dhanny
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by jameswhughes)
Do you live in the UK? :shock:
yeye
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (451)
46.78%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (295)
30.6%
I don't have an opinion (218)
22.61%

Watched Threads