Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Have you ever been first class on a train? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I use it all the time to go between London and Birmingham, sometimes on Virgin and sometimes London Midland.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBoysofNYU)
    NOT on the weekend.

I am about to. I wonder what kind of breakfast I will get...
    I once got given a free business class upgrade, on the way back from London to Derby. It is just a better experience, and i would do it more often, if i was a millionaire!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Yes, I use it all the time to go between London and Birmingham, sometimes on Virgin and sometimes London Midland.
    Awesome, so when do you get the good breakfasts on Virgin and when do you get the crappy snack box?

The price also seems insane. Its going to cost me £165 if I book an Advance (single train only) booking!

ReputationRep:
    Awesome
    Genius.

I use the trains a lot, but I've never been first class. Too expensive!

ReputationRep:
    How do you travel distances too long to cycle or walk but too near to fly to and that have very poor parking?
    I rarely travel long distances and if I do then I get a lift.
    For the rest , its either the bus or my lovely loyal bicycle.

ReputationRep:
    Awesome, so when do you get the good breakfasts on Virgin and when do you get the crappy snack box?
    It depends on how long your journey is and also on the time of day.

I've always had just snacks on Virgin, except for one time when I travelled from London to Preston at about 8am, when it was a nice breakfast

The price also seems insane. Its going to cost me £165 if I book an Advance (single train only) booking!
    The price also varies depending on what time of day you're travelling (peak, off peak, super off peak), as well as how far in advance you're booking it. It also helps if you have a 16-25 railcard, assuming you're in that age bracket.

I've often made my journey in first class for around £30, so it's not always that bad.

ReputationRep:
    Not in the UK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    It depends on how long your journey is and also on the time of day.

I've always had just snacks on Virgin, except for one time when I travelled from London to Preston at about 8am, when it was a nice breakfast

The price also varies depending on what time of day you're travelling (peak, off peak, super off peak), as well as how far in advance you're booking it. It also helps if you have a 16-25 railcard, assuming you're in that age bracket.

I've often made my journey in first class for around £30, so it's not always that bad.
    Ah ok - my plan is just to book the earliest train then - thats probably a safe strategy. The time being in the morning is probably the worst thing for the price.

ReputationRep:
    NOT on the weekend.

I am about to. I wonder what kind of breakfast I will get...
    I travelled first class with Virgin trains

ReputationRep:

Surely you would be better travelling Business Zone from Snow Hill to Marylebone than with Virgin. It is a little slower but Chiltern's 125s are more comfortable and it is a lot cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Surely you would be better travelling Business Zone from Snow Hill to Marylebone than with Virgin. It is a little slower but Chiltern's 125s are more comfortable and it is a lot cheaper.
    Hmm, I didn't realise they were more comfortable. I always got the impression that Virgin were the premium train company.. I shall investigate...

ReputationRep:
    Yep. The virgin trains one is pretty much like the standard ones - accept with tables 'n ****. However, it's *way* more quiet and you get 'free' food/drink. It's more relaxing than feeling in luxury.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elekro)
    I think it's called sarcasm, correct me if I'm wrong
    I have absolutely no idea - perhaps an odd form of sarcasm that went over my head?

ReputationRep:

https://www.virgintrainseastcoast.co...ooklet_web.pdf Lists all the East Coast catering- proper food is weekdays only, weekends are snack boxes.

Same applies to west coast, full meals are weekdays only.

I did FC to Edinburgh. I rather enjoyed it, ate far too many sandwiches and learned that I shouldn't be allowed unlimited coffee.

ReputationRep:
    Yup :yep:

Twice, journeys to and from York from London - only because there was a ticket sale and it was only a few pounds more to upgrade to first class.

It was nice, although they messed up my seat reservation for one journey and I ended sitting next to 3 men at a table :rolleyes:
    But there were free breakfast rolls and pasties and general drinks and snacks :yum: and leather seats with plug sockets which was a nice touch

Although I have never travelled first class since, because I'm broke :moon:

ReputationRep:
    Twice, once from York to Newcastle because the trains got the carriage tickets mixed up and the standard class was moved to first class, and another time pretty recently from York to London because first class was only £2 cheaper than standard. It's nothing majorly special, but I got free drinks and some snacks I guess
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Yes:
    - once when it was cheaper to buy a first class ticket than a standard class ticket for the same train
    - once after doing a marathon

ReputationRep:
    I've been in First Class a couple of times, I'm not sure what company it was the first time but it was nice and we got refreshments served at our table. The other time was London Midland and honestly the only difference between that and standard was how well-dressed the other passengers were xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dhanny)
    Ive never been on a train in my whole life span consisting of 18 years......

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you live in the UK? :shock:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jameswhughes)
    Do you live in the UK? :shock:
    yeye

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.