Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Making friends half way through second year at uni Watch

I've realised over the course of Christmas i have no real friends at uni anymore.

I had friends in first year and the beginning of second year, at one point I'd even say a fair few, but I became very depressed and withdrawn a month or so into the semester just gone.

I think people began to find it hard to connect with me, if I went on a night out I'd start crying and have to go home and I stopped attending classes. I ended up going home every couple of weeks and often staying for more than just the weekend.

I stopped eating as well.

I live in a mixed house of 9 and u used to be good friends with them all but I've become so detached from them all I'd hardly call any of them friends now

I dated someone who I think I truly loved for a bit of first year and I miss having a boyfriend so much but I'm hardly a good catch at the moment

I really don't want to go back to uni for lack of friends
    Any tips on making friends? Or getting a boyfriend?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I only made friends in my 3rd year of university so don't worry, you have plenty of time. Have you considered societies? That's how I met one of my closest friends in the final year of university. Make sure you try to relate to them as much as possible and remember you won't click with everyone. Find common interests and talk about them, take conversations to FB or WhatsApp or whatever and eventually you'd want to hang out together. Friendship is not just about talking but sharing memories together.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.