Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 11 and have applied to do Maths, further maths, physics and French next year. I'd like to then study either physics/ astrophysics or aerospace engineering at university.

Im currently predicted an 8 in maths and that's what I've achieved in my mocks. Maths isn't the easiest subject for me but I think I'm still quite good at it (i was like in the top 5 of my class in mocks though in the past in year 10 I never did very well in maths, only getting 6s mainly but I now enjoy maths and actually work hard and im getting great results).

Ive been told that further maths might not be a good idea as it's extremely hard and im just going to struggle with it?

Does anyone have their own experience with it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awkwrdbby)
    I'm currently in year 11 and have applied to do Maths, further maths, physics and French next year. I'd like to then study either physics/ astrophysics or aerospace engineering at university.

Im currently predicted an 8 in maths and that's what I've achieved in my mocks. Maths isn't the easiest subject for me but I think I'm still quite good at it (i was like in the top 5 of my class in mocks though in the past in year 10 I never did very well in maths, only getting 6s mainly but I now enjoy maths and actually work hard and im getting great results).

Ive been told that further maths might not be a good idea as it's extremely hard and im just going to struggle with it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you are getting an 8 now, then you are well suited for FM. You absolutely must take it if you are serious about studying the courses you are considering at university.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I was worried about if I should take it as I was in set 2 at my school in y11, but I took it and am loving it so far (currently in Y13 and) it and at AS its not too different in difficulty from AS Core maths. Although its not required to study Physics or Engineering a lot of unis really like it so it would be a good idea to have at least at AS. You will take three AS modules and basically anything with a one after it is not too bad, and I found it made me a lot better at maths in general, just from picking up a lot of tricks you can use in core that aren't in the core textbooks. I'm in Y13 and volunteer in a Y10 maths class so know a bit about the new grades and with an 8 you will be fine with it, and even with a 6 the AS should not be too bad in comparison to Core.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alekhin_1927)
    I was worried about if I should take it as I was in set 2 at my school in y11, but I took it and am loving it so far (currently in Y13 and) it and at AS its not too different in difficulty from AS Core maths. Although its not required to study Physics or Engineering a lot of unis really like it so it would be a good idea to have at least at AS. You will take three AS modules and basically anything with a one after it is not too bad, and I found it made me a lot better at maths in general, just from picking up a lot of tricks you can use in core that aren't in the core textbooks. I'm in Y13 and volunteer in a Y10 maths class so know a bit about the new grades and with an 8 you will be fine with it, and even with a 6 the AS should not be too bad in comparison to Core.
    He won't take three AS modules - that's only for people who have already started their courses. He will follow a linear specification.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr M)
    He won't take three AS modules - that's only for people who have already started their courses. He will follow a linear specification.
    I'm a she 😅😊 and yeah, it's different for us next year though I still don't fully understand it 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm a she 😅😊 and yeah, it's different for us next year though I still don't fully understand it 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry. I did think about putting 'He or she' or 'They'! Oh well.

Your new school may or may not do AS levels so you might have proper exams at the end of Year 12 and you might not. Either way, AS levels have been decoupled from A levels from everything depends on the exams you sit at the end of Year 13.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm also in Year 11 like you. And, its just really confusing about what's happening to the new a-levels. But, to answer your question...
    I took my AS-Levels in year 10 and am going to take my A2 in Maths with my GCSEs. I can tell you this, AS level maths is VERY approachable. It involves things taught in year 11 as well as some further topics(that aren't difficult by any means) Seeing as you are getting 8s right now, you'll NO PROBLEM coping! Further Maths is an entirely different beast. Yes, it is difficult(I haven't done it, but from my friend's experience, this is what I gathered). But if you like maths, and are willing to put a little effort outside of lessons, Further Maths is an enjoyable experience. Don't let others put you off and tell you that it will be hard. If you enjoy any subject, you WILL do well in it. Good Luck! Hope This Helped!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Your further maths grade is usually (in my experience), either the same as your regular maths grade, or one grade below.

So, anecdotally, combinations would be like A*A*/A*A/AA/AB etc.

FM is fine once you get fully invested in regular maths.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.