Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

First names you would never call a child of yours Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    ethel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Michiyo)
    1. Any regular word in any widely-known language or in a language I speak. (Precious, Justice, Amara*, etc.)

2. Any made-up name. (*insert made-up name here*)

3. Any foreign name. (Abdullah, Dhanya, Takahito, Yeon-hee, etc.)

4. Any name I cannot pronounce. (Blodeuwedd, Culhwch, etc.)

5. Any less than common name a famous politician had. (Adolf, Hitler, Mussolini, Stalin, Lincoln, Nero, Caesar, etc.)

6. Any name spelt in an unusual way. (Khloe, Kieron, etc.)

7. Any name so ghetto it hurts. (Shaniqua, Sharkeisha, Airwrecka, etc.)

8. Any name so old-fashioned others would make fun of the kid. (Ichabod, Gertrude, etc.)

9. Any unusual celebrity name. (Jay-Z, Rhianna, etc.)

10. Any weird name taken from a book/TV show/etc. (Katniss, Ulquiorra, Yoda, etc.)

11. Any name that could lead to an embarrassing nickname. (William, Richard, etc.)

12. Any name that is a relatively common last name but not a very common first name. (Thompson, Jackson, etc.)

13. Any name that is the same as or a derivation of their last name. (If the last name is Andrews, the children will not be named Andrew, Andy or Andrea, etc.)

14. Any extremely long name. (Uvuvwevwevwe Onyetenyevwe Ugwemuhwem Osas, etc)

15. Any name that does not fit their biological sex. (A girl named Adam, a boy named Katherine, etc.)

16. Any overly biblical name. (Jesus, God, Moses, etc.)

17. Any name I hate or find ridiculous. (Examples withheld due to the possibility of someone getting offended or sad if they saw their name here.)

18. Any other name that is potentially embarrassing. (Mia, Tara, Johnson, etc.)

* Amara means 'the bitter one' (female) in my native language.
    why are mia and tara embarrassing?
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rgfchjb,n)
    why are mia and tara embarrassing?
    Mia is linked to... uhh... things that would get me banned if I mentioned them.

Tara Gilesby/Gilesbie is an infamous internet troll who wrote the worst fanfic in all of existence, 'My Immortal'. Since I read a lot of fanfiction, I would be reluctant to call my child the same name as that terrible writer. Now that I think about it, that would fit more under names I would not call my child for personal reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lawlieto)
    maybe he just doesn't like half the Beatles
    niiicee

ReputationRep:
    courtney, mohammed , tyrone

ReputationRep:
    Penelope, Zara (my cousins, they have horrible names)

Amanda (i got bullied by a girl called amanda)

Mia, Chloe, Sarah (just don't like these names)

ReputationRep:
    Donald, apart from the obvious one that suffers US, the only other Donald I know is an ABSOLUTE A hole.

ReputationRep:
    Aquamarine Shaquine

ReputationRep:
    Double barrelled names. Where exactly did they originate from and why are they so popular?

(Original post by l'etranger)
    Those are nice, if I had a Muslim son Suleiman would be on the cards definitely
    A big discussion about names took place at a meeting for home educating parents. A point was made that despite Britain being a so called multicultural society, Muslim and Asian names have totally failed to make any impact with white indigenous British parents even if they are looking for something exotic and offbeat.

There were two white British brothers at my school called Anand and Shivam which are both Indian names.

ReputationRep:
    Chad?

ReputationRep:
    fluffy bunny wunny..:eek:

Any name from a TV show.

ReputationRep:
    Maurice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chichaldo)
    Maurice
    Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: pngmaurice.png (13.2 KB)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nunchuck-master-2334)
    gg mein freund

ReputationRep:
    gg mein freund
    huh?
    Me no under stand u.
    me british

ReputationRep:
    huh?
    Me no under stand u.
    me british
    If you were British why do you not speak it correctly? Plum.

ReputationRep:
    If you were British why do you not speak it correctly? Plum.
    Hey!
    Don't you call me a plum, you plum!
    I didn't think you understood full English, so tried to simplify it!

ReputationRep:
    Hey!
    Don't you call me a plum, you plum!
    I didn't think you understood full English, so tried to simplify it!
    Was just a cheeky bit of German, that was you trying to make it clearer? xD

ReputationRep:
    Imogen is probably my #1 pet hate. A girl at my school was called that and she bullied me mercilessly and now she has given up on becoming a vet and works in a shoe shop.

I'm open to most names, but ridiculous ones like Princess and Apple, I'm not a fan off.

Boy's names I don't like are Ethan, Jack, David and a few others. Mainly due to past experiences with boys of these names. Basically I don't like names of people who bullied or we didn't get along.

My favorite names are Riley, Alice, John, Adam and Kaiya. Kaiya is Japanese, and means forgiving but I like the sound of it.

ReputationRep:
    KABOOMXxXxXBINLADENXxXxXxKABOOM

TBH

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 10, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.