Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I'm currently a third year medical student doing my iBSc (out of 6 years!) here in the UK and have been researching extensively into taking the USMLE Step 1.

Most of the study schedules created by our american/canadian counterparts are based around the fact that they will have full days (10-14hrs) revise, whereas I will be starting my clinical rotations in 4th year where I won't have the time to revise all day.

Do any IMGs have advice/previous experience on how to create a study schedule based around this? Any responses are appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    finish year 4 years of the medicine degree. Pathology pharmacy and physiology are the most tested. All questions are framed in a clinical context which is why you need to finish 4 years. you would need 4hrs/day for 6 months to crack a 250 do an Nbme i thinks 17s the best one save that for last itl tell u where u are buy u world prescription use kaplan lecture notes they are all you need along with RR for pathology and golijans audio also just extra advice you have to publish in the bsc so ur on the right track oral presentations posters alot of that is needed to get anything more than an internal medicone residency. Although i have yet to start first year but my dads a neurosurgery professor and most of his students use the route good luck

ReputationRep:
    also go on usmleforums google step 1 study method there should be 2 1 will be called the zum zum method that one is for you its just using kaplan and what i just described because you dont have time some one taking a year off or starting medical school like me would be better off using method 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Momo2810)
    finish year 4 years of the medicine degree. Pathology pharmacy and physiology are the most tested. All questions are framed in a clinical context which is why you need to finish 4 years. you would need 4hrs/day for 6 months to crack a 250 do an Nbme i thinks 17s the best one save that for last itl tell u where u are buy u world prescription use kaplan lecture notes they are all you need along with RR for pathology and golijans audio also just extra advice you have to publish in the bsc so ur on the right track oral presentations posters alot of that is needed to get anything more than an internal medicone residency. Although i have yet to start first year but my dads a neurosurgery professor and most of his students use the route good luck
    Thanks, just noticed this!

A lot of people are keen on using the UFAP (U-world, First Aid and Pathoma) method. Would you recommend this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arn4v)
    Thanks, just noticed this!

A lot of people are keen on using the UFAP (U-world, First Aid and Pathoma) method. Would you recommend this?
    i dont know your current stage. For the step 1 pathoma has to be accompanied with the videos the book itself is purely pathologt very easy to read, very easy to grasp it covers 95% of the step 1, pathoma is used when studying for pathology so like a second year student just starting out. For someone whose already taken pathology during med school golijans RR of pathology is reccomended it is more detailed and relatively harder to grasp because it integrates pathology with other basic sciences; you dont neccesarily need to listen to the accompanying audio and the blue boxes are high yeild information. RR pathology has helped his students get high 99s (250-260) in the exam. U world is ABSOLUTELY crucial as its as close as it gets to the exam (do kaplan qbank if u have time aswell) and first aid is merely a review of everything u need to know just high yeild facts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Momo2810)
    i dont know your current stage. For the step 1 pathoma has to be accompanied with the videos the book itself is purely pathologt very easy to read, very easy to grasp it covers 95% of the step 1, pathoma is used when studying for pathology so like a second year student just starting out. For someone whose already taken pathology during med school golijans RR of pathology is reccomended it is more detailed and relatively harder to grasp because it integrates pathology with other basic sciences; you dont neccesarily need to listen to the accompanying audio and the blue boxes are high yeild information. RR pathology has helped his students get high 99s (250-260) in the exam. U world is ABSOLUTELY crucial as its as close as it gets to the exam (do kaplan qbank if u have time aswell) and first aid is merely a review of everything u need to know just high yeild facts.
    I have completed pre-clinical medicine in the UK, which I believe is the equivalent of MS2 in the US. I've been told by peers and online forums that the best time to take Step 1 for UK IMGs is after the first clinical year (4th year), as the exam questions are actually very clinical. In terms of my knowledge, this means I have completed basic sciences and organ systems but am yet to learn about the pathology in a clinical setting. Would you recommend using both RR Pathology and Pathoma?

Thanks for the response!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arn4v)
    I have completed pre-clinical medicine in the UK, which I believe is the equivalent of MS2 in the US. I've been told by peers and online forums that the best time to take Step 1 for UK IMGs is after the first clinical year (4th year), as the exam questions are actually very clinical. In terms of my knowledge, this means I have completed basic sciences and organ systems but am yet to learn about the pathology in a clinical setting. Would you recommend using both RR Pathology and Pathoma?

Thanks for the response!
    i

please mail me

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.