Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I wanted to ask, because LSE and Edinburgh seems to be some of the only top unis offering economic history. Would I be able to send a different personal statement to these unis, and another personal statement to my other options?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ethanlester)
    I wanted to ask, because LSE and Edinburgh seems to be some of the only top unis offering economic history. Would I be able to send a different personal statement to these unis, and another personal statement to my other options?
    Hello.

Unless they have changed the system since I applied in 2013, then unfortunately no, you have to send the same statement to all 5 universities. As you suggest, this can be tricky when you're applying to a more niche course such as econ history for a minority of your choices. In my case I was applying for standard history courses everywhere except LSE, so my approach was to write a more standard history personal statement but with a section discussing my interest in economic history.

Bear in mind that the department are likely to be aware of the issue presented by having to write one statement for all five unis, and they'll be accustomed to receiving statements that are not solely focused on economic history.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apt9)
    Hello.

Unless they have changed the system since I applied in 2013, then unfortunately no, you have to send the same statement to all 5 universities. As you suggest, this can be tricky when you're applying to a more niche course such as econ history for a minority of your choices. In my case I was applying for standard history courses everywhere except LSE, so my approach was to write a more standard history personal statement but with a section discussing my interest in economic history.

Bear in mind that the department are likely to be aware of the issue presented by having to write one statement for all five unis, and they'll be accustomed to receiving statements that are not solely focused on economic history.
    Thanks for your help!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.