Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

My UCAS application has been ready for weeks but the smallest detail is stopping me from submitting.
    I have been living as a man for the past year and a half. At college some lecturers know and some don't, and every student I come into contact with knows. The university I want to go to is linked to my college, yet it is based somewhere else and requires signing up like any other normal university within the UK.

I have three questions:

1) If I put my name in the preferred name box, will the university call me that? And will letters sent to me be in my name or my legal name?

2) I've read online that I can state my gender as male, as it just says 'gender' as opposed to legal gender. I'm not sure if this is true or not. Does anyone know anything about this? I will be living as male at university.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EvanLikesBooks)
    Hi there,

My UCAS application has been ready for weeks but the smallest detail is stopping me from submitting.
    I have been living as a man for the past year and a half. At college some lecturers know and some don't, and every student I come into contact with knows. The university I want to go to is linked to my college, yet it is based somewhere else and requires signing up like any other normal university within the UK.

I have three questions:

1) If I put my name in the preferred name box, will the university call me that? And will letters sent to me be in my name or my legal name?

2) I've read online that I can state my gender as male, as it just says 'gender' as opposed to legal gender. I'm not sure if this is true or not. Does anyone know anything about this? I will be living as male at university.
    The gender bit on the ucas application is just for an equality questionnaire. They may refer to you by your legal name but contact them and ask them and I m sure they can refer to you by your preferred name.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.