Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Privatising the NHS... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    There are a lot worse healthcare systems than the US. If I was in the US, doing a comparable job, I'd probably have access to better healthcare than I do in the UK. I suspect this is true of most middle class people. The US has distinct problems, but it's also a world-leader in many areas.
    You would get healthcare better in some ways, significantly worse in others (even in the middle class) with the combined cost to your employer and you being about twice as much. Remember, the US government pays more for healthcare per capita than the UK government, and its you in the middle class that are going to be forking the bulk of that bill.

Which developed country do you think has a worse system?!

(Original post by Len Goodman)
    It would also encourage the elderly to keep up a healthy lifestyle as it would reduce the risk of them falling ill, and therefore reduce the risk that they would have to pay out for treatment. By privatising the NHS we would increase the overall health of the population, and wouldn't that be a good thing?
    Like all those super-slim super healthy americans you mean?

(Original post by Len Goodman)
    For example, young liberal millennials like to drink alcohol and take drugs with reckless abandon...
    You know millennials are the group of young people that drink the least and take the least drugs since 50s right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    Except that on the vast majority of metrics, the railways have improved since privatisation. Even with the deeply imperfect franchising system that they operate on.
    I think it depends where you live. In South Manchester we are still in 35 year old cattle trucks disguised as buses on rails and tickets have gone up on my journey by 25% in the last 3 years. Punctuality and overcrowding are terrible. I couldn't believe London has 12 car commuter trains. We are lucky to get 4!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    You would get healthcare better in some ways, significantly worse in others (even in the middle class) with the combined cost to your employer and you being about twice as much. Remember, the US government pays more for healthcare per capita than the UK government, and its you in the middle class that are going to be forking the bulk of that bill.

Which developed country do you think has a worse system?!
    Ah, no-one said anything about developed countries! That said, there's some rather ropey countries in the OECD. I'd definitely prefer to get sick in the US than, say, Mexico.

That the US public sector spends a higher proportion of its GDP on healthcare really should tell us something though - it isn't this great experiment in privatisation: quite the opposite really. As I pointed out in my previous post, under 20% of US hospitals are profit-making.

I suppose the US has a great many social challenges we do not have which may well account for a lot of that additional expenditure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by highlyf)
    The NHS is one of the best systems in the world, the problem is that people abuse it and go in for silly reasons. What it needs is some extra spending, smart reform and some clever thinking.
    In what world does extra spending fix abuse?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.