Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Damaged property caused by water leak. Do i need insurance? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I currently live in a rented flat; where four flats share a kitchen. I am currently in my fourth and final year of university. I had a year in industry last year and the year before that I resided in the same accommodation and room. There is a small loft like access panel in the ceiling of my room and in my first year living here it flooded a few times with really hot water, not much but I made sure to contact the 24hr security emergency number and the property manager. Each and every time they couldn’t find where it was coming from and they hinted that I was causing problems.

Well, here in my final year of residing it was fine up until tonight where it was a steady flow of water leaking out. I called the 24hr security line and they sent a member of the security team over to investigate, he pulled the joint apart where the leak was coming from, which caused a heavy down pour which flooded my room with at least 1/2" of water covering my entire floor. I rushed and took as much as I could off the floor while I could still see. The water also caused the electricity to trip out in my room. The security of staff called the property manager. They took me to a hotel and that is where I currently am. Thing is it covered the belongings I had on the floor in water including my printer, laptop keyboard, my tablet, all my Uni work, my shoes, my coats and clothes as well as my phone charger and consumables such as toilet roll.
    What I am wondering is where do I stand with this I don't have any kind of insurance? Any help is appreciated.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aherb)
    Hi, I currently live in a rented flat; where four flats share a kitchen. I am currently in my fourth and final year of university. I had a year in industry last year and the year before that I resided in the same accommodation and room. There is a small loft like access panel in the ceiling of my room and in my first year living here it flooded a few times with really hot water, not much but I made sure to contact the 24hr security emergency number and the property manager. Each and every time they couldn’t find where it was coming from and they hinted that I was causing problems.

Well, here in my final year of residing it was fine up until tonight where it was a steady flow of water leaking out. I called the 24hr security line and they sent a member of the security team over to investigate, he pulled the joint apart where the leak was coming from, which caused a heavy down pour which flooded my room with at least 1/2" of water covering my entire floor. I rushed and took as much as I could off the floor while I could still see. The water also caused the electricity to trip out in my room. The security of staff called the property manager. They took me to a hotel and that is where I currently am. Thing is it covered the belongings I had on the floor in water including my printer, laptop keyboard, my tablet, all my Uni work, my shoes, my coats and clothes as well as my phone charger and consumables such as toilet roll.
    What I am wondering is where do I stand with this I don't have any kind of insurance? Any help is appreciated.
    I'm afraid as you're responsible for insuring contents of your home that you would unfortunately have to shell out to replace it all out of your own pocket.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aherb)

If your parents have contents insurance check that because it might cover you. Otherwise its your responsibility I'm afraid to make sure your stuff is insured.

ReputationRep:
    It might be worth trying to complain to your landlord and ask for compensation as they have failed to fix a problem that they have known about for a long time but I doubt you will get anywhere. As others have said insurance is your responsibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aherb)
    It depends on whose fault the problem is. If the building owner or landlord is responsible, as seems likely, then you can demand that they pay for damage to your goods (and they can claim on their insurance).

If the liability is yours (say, if you caused the leak) then you will have to pay or claim on your own insurance. This doesn't sound likely though as there seems to be a leak in the plumbing which would be the landlord's responsibility.

The fact that you have reported the problem several times and it has gone without repair will help to establish negligence on their part.

You need to keep a log of all incidents and of all communications with the landlord, including the dates of previous problem reports, together with supporting evidence.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Universal Student Living

Universal Student Living

“All-inclusive student accommodation in prime locations across the UK.”

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.