Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This table used date from global banks to show which univierities send the highest proportion of graduates into front office IB jobs. Obviously, this is on a global scale, as there are many American and foreign universities present. Interestingly, it seems like being situated near large financial centres seems to play a massive part in a successful application

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk...t-banking-job/

ReputationRep:
    The simple and widely accepted truth:
    Targets: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick
    Semi-targets: Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Cass, Bath, KCL, St Andrews, Exeter, Edinburgh, Manchester

ReputationRep:
    1) Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, Imperial, UCL

2) Nottingham, Bristol, Durham, Bath, Manchester, Cass, Birmingham, KCL

3) Others

/thread

ReputationRep:
    Best degree for ib at these unis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cluster1)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It doesn't matter what degree you do.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by Harold98)
    It doesn't matter what degree you do.
    You can get in with any (respectable degree, gender studies won't cut it), but it's best to have maths/economics/computer science/chem/physics/engineering etc, imo. Something that drives home numeracy
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harold98)
    The simple and widely accepted truth:
    Targets: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick
    Semi-targets: Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Cass, Bath, KCL, St Andrews
    you forgot Edinburgh and Exeter

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    no such thing

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    you forgot Edinburgh and Exeter

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah true
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    This table used date from global banks to show which univierities send the highest proportion of graduates into front office IB jobs. Obviously, this is on a global scale, as there are many American and foreign universities present. Interestingly, it seems like being situated near large financial centres seems to play a massive part in a successful application

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk...t-banking-job/
    wouldn't say location matters in the application, it's more convenience and overall awareness of the career being higher in schools situated near financual hubs.

success of your application after the cv screen is entirely personal.

ReputationRep:
    wouldn't say location matters in the application, it's more convenience and overall awareness of the career being higher in schools situated near financual hubs.

success of your application after the cv screen is entirely personal.
    Doesn't the fact that a uni being near a financial hub count as location, as well as convenience too, given that many bank reps flood those target unis for advertisement during (public) lectures relating to banking - particularly London ones.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't the fact that a uni being near a financial hub count as location, as well as convenience too, given that many bank reps flood those target unis for advertisement during (public) lectures relating to banking - particularly London ones.
    my disagreement​ was in helping with one's application. the target stuff doesn't matter once you have an interview invite.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    my disagreement​ was in helping with one's application. the target stuff doesn't matter once you have an interview invite.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh, I see

ReputationRep:
    Depends on the uni as being in London will have a small advantage in networking opportunities. E.g. while KCL has worse rep than Bristol, being in London will give it advantages over networking and the amount of banks visiting the uni making it a slightly better choice vs Bristol in my opinion. Between targets location makes no difference as all banks visit target uni's, just being in London makes things easier for travel and networking opps (e.g. UCL > Warwick). In short location only matters when your at a semi-target.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatapanydude)
    Depends on the uni as being in London will have a small advantage in networking opportunities. E.g. while KCL has worse rep than Bristol, being in London will give it advantages over networking and the amount of banks visiting the uni making it a slightly better choice vs Bristol in my opinion. Between targets location makes no difference as all banks visit target uni's, just being in London makes things easier for travel and networking opps (e.g. UCL > Warwick). In short location only matters when your at a semi-target.
    Agree with this, location is key for networking and attending events. This is why London targets have such an advantage. Unfortunately, many candidates do not know how to take advantage of them.

ReputationRep:
    I wondered if you guys might be able to give me a bit of advice.

Basically, I chose to do a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT at college, and I now realise they are not even accepted by the vast majority of even semi-target universities. Should I simply go to a "lesser valued" university (I have an offer from York), or would it be worth it to take some time out and achieve an A Level to enable me to attend the semi-targets?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryWalrus)

Basically, I chose to do a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT at college, and I now realise they are not even accepted by the vast majority of even semi-target universities. Should I simply go to a "lesser valued" universities (I have an offer from York), or would it be worth it to take some time out and achieve an A Level to enable me to attend the semi-targets?
    Princepieman
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryWalrus)

Basically, I chose to do a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT at college, and I now realise they are not even accepted by the vast majority of even semi-target universities. Should I simply go to a "lesser valued" universities (I have an offer from York), or would it be worth it to take some time out and achieve an A Level to enable me to attend the semi-targets?
    York is pretty solid as it is tbf, don't really see why you'd take a year out when you've gotten in there.

Unless of course you're 100% convinced you'll get an A* in Maths A-level..

also Notts is a semi-target and gladly takes on BTEC in IT applicants for the CS program.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    York is pretty solid as it is tbf, don't really see why you'd take a year out when you've gotten in there.

Unless of course you're 100% convinced you'll get an A* in Maths A-level..

also Notts is a semi-target and gladly takes on BTEC in IT applicants for the CS program.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree that York is probably one of the better non-targets (as far as I know? I like the place as a whole, just thinking about employability). However, I would prefer to go to somewhere more popular with employers.

I'm not 100% convinced I'd get an A* in Maths at A-Level, however, not all of the semi-targets seem specifically require A* maths. I wouldn't mind continuing on with a computing course, but I'd prefer something finance/economics based as that's the industry I'd like to work in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatapanydude)
    You cant say that UCL>Warwick when Warwick has been equal or even above in terms of numbers landing internships and jobs.

Yes, theoretically UCLs proximity to london makes it the better choice but then a Warwick student can still go to these events. There's no exclusive UCL events that are of significance either.

Im just focusing on your UCL vs Warwick comparison here, in general theres no point suggesting a london uni is better for opportunities because in a world of the internet and fast travel service this advantage is negligible.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.