Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cluster1)
    Considering a degree in Acturial Science and risk management at Queens Belfast, I understand queens is a non-target but it is one of the few unis that offer this course, if I had a change of heart and wanted to do ib instead of actuary would it be possible?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    do actuarial science at a target uni like lse then

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Didn't seem like that in the statistics :/
    Btw I thought you were a med applicant/student? Why do you become interested in banking? Just curious

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ladbants)
    Btw I thought you were a med applicant/student? Why do you become interested in banking? Just curious
    Medicine is competitive asf; right now, I have two interviews and one rejection. If all goes south, IB is my backup.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Medicine is competitive asf; right now, I have two interviews and one rejection. If all goes south, IB is my backup.
    LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't mean it as offensive

ReputationRep:
    I never realised how competitive ib was I always thought it'd be easy to get into cos of the *****y hours and almost always having to move to london lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I understand, my friend is looking at three rejections so far, he's got a back up at Warwick doing biomed so he's thinking of going into IB if medicine doesn't work out. But I wouldn't give up on your dreams- you can always apply again next year.

ReputationRep:
    I never realised how competitive ib was I always thought it'd be easy to get into cos of the *****y hours and almost always having to move to london lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It is actually very competitive, you would think that not many people would want to slave away 100 hours a week at a computer screen for mcdonalds pay (as did i at first) but turns out there are actually thousands of people desperate for this job and the opportunities it offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My mate actually got rejected from medicine, got into Warwick chemistry or something and learnt a bit about banking in the holidays and now he's got an SW for FO from MS

ReputationRep:
    It is actually very competitive, you would think that not many people would want to slave away 100 hours a week at a computer screen for mcdonalds pay (as did i at first) but turns out there are actually thousands of people desperate for this job and the opportunities it offers.
    What opportunities would they be, what stage of your ib career are you currently at may I ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by biglad2k16)
    My mate actually got rejected from medicine, got into Warwick chemistry or something and learnt a bit about banking in the holidays and now he's got an SW for FO from MS
    still wouldn't quite call it a backup

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What opportunities would they be, what stage of your ib career are you currently at may I ask?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Private equity, after two or three years in the analyst stage is the most sought after. It involves investing in private companies, making organisational changes and selling them on for a Epcot years down the line.However, PE is very competitive to get into, even more so than banking, but the work is more interesting and pay at the senior levels can reach seven figures, even eight figures if you make it to a really high position.

After two years of banking, you can try your luck at getting into a private equity fund or a hedge fund, and if you don't make the cut you still have other options. You can either stay in banking or you can go into corporate development, financial analysis and planning, consulting, equity research, MBA from top business schools etc...

ReputationRep:
    Private equity, after two or three years in the analyst stage is the most sought after. It involves investing in private companies, making organisational changes and selling them on for a Epcot years down the line.However, PE is very competitive to get into, even more so than banking, but the work is more interesting and pay at the senior levels can reach seven figures, even eight figures if you make it to a really high position.

After two years of banking, you can try your luck at getting into a private equity fund or a hedge fund, and if you don't make the cut you still have other options. You can either stay in banking or you can go into corporate development, financial analysis and planning, consulting, equity research, MBA from top business schools etc...
    Are those careers less sell your soulish than ib😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    depends on the culture of the firm (if we're speaking about buyside), megafunds tend to be banking 2.0 all over again. mid market funds differ.

all the corporate careers are a trade of financial upside for a better work/life balance

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't understand what you mean. The hours at private equity firms are roughly the same as banks, but the work is usually considered more interesting since you're involved in investing instead of just advising companies. Private equity attracts the same type of people that banking does- after all, most people in private equity are top analysts from banking, so they'll be the best of the best.

If you want a normal career where you can go to work and then come home and spend lots of quality time with your family, high finance isn't a good career to go into. People go into it for the money and tend to devote their lives to their jobs.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.