Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

How I would go about deriving the laplace transform for L[integral of f(t) from zero to t]?

I'm aware of how you derive something like L[df/dt] using the standard definition of the Laplace transform, but I can't make sense of this particular derivation!

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I'm not clear; is the problem that you have a derivation you don't understand, or that you need to find a derivation and can't work out how to do it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DFranklin)
    I'm not clear; is the problem that you have a derivation you don't understand, or that you need to find a derivation and can't work out how to do it?
    The actual question is 'Derive the following Laplace Transform L[integral f(t) from zero to t].

I'm unsure how to derive it, as you can't use the normal definition?

Sorry, I don't know how to use the fancy maths format on here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bioluminescence1)
    The actual question is 'Derive the following Laplace Transform L[integral f(t) from zero to t].

I'm unsure how to derive it, as you can't use the normal definition?

Sorry, I don't know how to use the fancy maths format on here!
    Write F(t)=\int_0^t f(u) \ du then use integration by parts on the Laplace transform integral. And think about what F(0) is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by atsruser)
    Write F(t)=\int_0^t f(u) \ du then use integration by parts on the Laplace transform integral. And think about what F(0) is.
    Sorry I'm not sure I get what you mean, could you expand please? (:

ReputationRep:
    It may be more straightforward to define F as above, differentiate both sides and then apply the Laplace transform. (It's tantamount to doing the same thing in the end.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RichE)
    It may be more straightforward to define F as above, differentiate both sides and then apply the Laplace transform. (It's tantamount to doing the same thing in the end.)
    Differentiate and not integrate? Why would you do that?

ReputationRep:
    Did you try it? What did you get when you differentiated F(t) and then transformed your answer?

ReputationRep:
    First, do you know what result that you're trying to get to? If not, it'll probably help to look it up. Then, given the expression I wrote above:

1. We have F(t) = \int_0^t f(u) \ du

2. We have \mathcal{L} \{F(t)\} = \int_0^\infty e^{-st} F(t) \ dt

3. What is F'(t) ?

4. What is F(0) ?

5. How does that suggest that you perform the IBP, given the result that you want?

ReputationRep:
    Well, if you know the relationship between the Laplace transform of f(x) and the transform of f'(x), let g(x) = \int_0^x f(t)\,dt then since you know the relationship between the Laplace transform of g and that of g', and you know the laplace transform of g' is the laplace transform of f, you should be able to use this to find the laplace transform of g.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.