Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortoise Speed)
    I do! Planning on applying to Bristol and Exeter - visited them both and really liked them. They both had really diverse courses and both had historical aspects to their cities.
    I've heard so much about Bristol so I'm tempted to apply, I visited Cardiff and I was really put off by the lecturer for Religious Studies but I really enjoyed the Philosophy lecturer. I visited Lancaster and fell in love with the place, but I'm visiting Edinburgh and Glasgow soon and I'm really desperate to like Glasgow as I love the city!! I'm also tempted to visit Exeter, but it's so far away, but then again so is Edinburgh😂
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paisc)
    I've heard so much about Bristol so I'm tempted to apply, I visited Cardiff and I was really put off by the lecturer for Religious Studies but I really enjoyed the Philosophy lecturer. I visited Lancaster and fell in love with the place, but I'm visiting Edinburgh and Glasgow soon and I'm really desperate to like Glasgow as I love the city!! I'm also tempted to visit Exeter, but it's so far away, but then again so is Edinburgh😂
    I've heard so many good things about Edinburgh so I hope you have a great visit! Exeter is worth a visit if you were considering it - it's so green and lovely, and the sample lecture we were given was AWESOME. They did it on ancient incantation bowls and the lecturer seemed genuinely interested in the topic and that was so wonderful.
    Ohh, but I haven't heard much about Glasgow, do you know what the course is like?

ReputationRep:
    That's what I didn't like about the lecturer in Cardiff, he seemed to lack enthusiasm, I don't doubt his passion for the subject, it was just kinda boring. My issue with Glasgow is that they have separate websites for Religious Studies and another one for Philosophy, where Lancaster and Edinburgh have a joint page but overall I just find the Glasgow website a bit confusing! But I like that all 3 universities allow you to study a different topic outside the course, whether it compliments my joint honours subjects or whether you just enjoy it, so I can still carry on with a science subject as I really love my sciences😂.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!! I'm new here. I'm Hollie and I'm applying to Cambridge (Christ's), Bristol, Exeter, SOAS, and Nottingham all for Theology and Religion (none w/ philosophy). I just finished y12 and am doing English Literature, History and Psychology (I'm Welsh so I did AS exams- got As in all). I've finished my RE A level (long story, I did it in one year) and got an A*. Are there any other Cambridge applicants for Theo here? I only know of one other at all!! Really interested to hear if so. I also really like the Bristol 4yr integrated masters course, looks really good!! (Btw my interested lie in feminist theology and colonial Hinduism, so if anyone has similar interests hmu!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrHollie)
    Hey!! I'm new here. I'm Hollie and I'm applying to Cambridge (Christ's), Bristol, Exeter, SOAS, and Nottingham all for Theology and Religion (none w/ philosophy). I just finished y12 and am doing English Literature, History and Psychology (I'm Welsh so I did AS exams- got As in all). I've finished my RE A level (long story, I did it in one year) and got an A*. Are there any other Cambridge applicants for Theo here? I only know of one other at all!! Really interested to hear if so. I also really like the Bristol 4yr integrated masters course, looks really good!! (Btw my interested lie in feminist theology and colonial Hinduism, so if anyone has similar interests hmu!)
    Congratulations on your amazing results!! I'm Welsh as well and it feels so odd doing AS exams while a lot of people haven't😂 I'm guessing you done the old spec for WJEC RE? I've really wanted to look more into Hinduism, as many say it's quite similar to Buddhism and I'd say that's where my main interest lies in (other than Philosophy but I don't have a main interest within that subject yet😂)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paisc)
    Congratulations on your amazing results!! I'm Welsh as well and it feels so odd doing AS exams while a lot of people haven't😂 I'm guessing you done the old spec for WJEC RE? I've really wanted to look more into Hinduism, as many say it's quite similar to Buddhism and I'd say that's where my main interest lies in (other than Philosophy but I don't have a main interest within that subject yet😂)
    Thank you so much!! It was so much work omg! ALSO YAY I know so few Welsh prospective Theologians! And yesss old spec, my main reason for fast-tracking the A level was so I didn't have to do the new spec it looks like so much work!!! You'll love it, Hinduism is such a rich topic! I know shockingly little about Buddhism sadly- I'd love to know more. I go to Catholic school so we only ever did units in Christianity which is a real shame. If u want to know about historical Hinduism then Orientalism and Religion by Richard King is great- his chapter 'the modern myth of Hinduism' (paraphrasing there, can't rmr the exact title) is really good for context on modern Hinduism! It's free online! Are you going to be applying for a combined phil/theo course or would u just do theo and pick some philosophy units within it if that makes sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OrHollie)
    Thank you so much!! It was so much work omg! ALSO YAY I know so few Welsh prospective Theologians! And yesss old spec, my main reason for fast-tracking the A level was so I didn't have to do the new spec it looks like so much work!!! You'll love it, Hinduism is such a rich topic! I know shockingly little about Buddhism sadly- I'd love to know more. I go to Catholic school so we only ever did units in Christianity which is a real shame. If u want to know about historical Hinduism then Orientalism and Religion by Richard King is great- his chapter 'the modern myth of Hinduism' (paraphrasing there, can't rmr the exact title) is really good for context on modern Hinduism! It's free online! Are you going to be applying for a combined phil/theo course or would u just do theo and pick some philosophy units within it if that makes sense?
    You're the first Welsh prospective Theologian I've met! The new spec is a lot of work, it's very philosophy and ethics based, next year it's 40% worth of the A2 grade, with the other 20% being on your studied religion. I went to a catholic primary school, church every Friday morning (we got to miss out on maths so I wasn't complaining.) I've also had my Holy Communion so you could say catholic school had a large impact on me😂(yet to the disappointment of my primary school teachers I wouldn't say I'm anywhere near a practising catholic), thank you I'll look into that! I've only read up on Philosophy so it'll be refreshing to read up on Hinduism, I was originally going to apply for just Theo, but I want to be able to pick something along the lines of a Philosophy in Science/Medicine module in my degree as I study chemistry and biology now and don't want to completely leave them behind. Which is why I think Edinburgh, Glasgow and Lancaster appeal to me so much as you're able to choose another course, whether it goes with your subject or whether you just like it, and I want to be able to try and keep them going if I can!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'm looking to do Theology, can't work out if this thread is 2017 or 2018 entrance though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laurxnxdavixs00)
    Hi! I'm looking to do Theology, can't work out if this thread is 2017 or 2018 entrance though!
    Hey! Have you looked at any universities? I'm talking about 2018 entrance😊

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paisc)
    Hey! Have you looked at any universities? I'm talking about 2018 entrance😊
    Hi Yeah my current choices are
    Cambridge
    Durham
    Lancaster
    Exeter
    Birmingham

What about you? x

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge
    Durham
    Lancaster
    Exeter
    Birmingham

What about you? x
    My current choices are Cambridge/Oxford, Durham, St.Andrews, King's College and Birmingham

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge
    Durham
    Lancaster
    Exeter
    Birmingham

What about you? x
    (Original post by Sophtheelf)
    My current choices are Cambridge/Oxford, Durham, St.Andrews, King's College and Birmingham
    My choices are Edinburgh, Glasgow, Cardiff, Lancaster and Nottingham☺️

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paisc)
    Eyy Lancaster!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by username2357317)
    Heyyy! I'm Sophie! I've applied to Cambridge for 2018 entry (Murray Edwards) I have also applied to Exeter, Durham, Bristol and Birmingham for Theology (all with no philosophy) Feel free to PM me so we can chat more. I study English Literature, History, and Philosophy, Ethics and Religion. I submitted my Cambridge written work on Flavian intervention in Christianity for the Cambridge Eusebius Essay- Which I submitted as my written work to Cambridge and it got there Monday yayy.

RE: A*
    English Language: A
    English Literature: A
    History: A
    Business Studies: A
    Drama: B
    Geography: C
    Science: C
    Maths: F

AS':
    History: A
    English Literature: A
    General Studies: A
    RE: B (But 60/60 in my Ethics paper) This was odd, considering I had straight A's throughout last year. It was the first year of this syllabus and my teachers think I added way too much detail that was university level because I read and research so much and think the examiner didn't understand.
    Politics: B (Very close to an A)

My predicted grades:

English Literature: A*
    History: A*
    RE: A (They think I can 100% get an A* but think that being predicted an A* will look too suspicious because of the B)
    EPQ: A* (Theology related)

Extenuating Circumstances

Numerical Learning Difficulty:

I possess every single symptom of Dyscalculia but it costs too much for a private diagnosis and the school cannot give me one. On the symptoms on the list is that one of the largest causes of this numerical learning difficulty, which effected Maths, Science and Geography at GCSE is being born premature. I was born 13 weeks premature, weighed 1 pound and 5 ounces and was expected to have brain damage and not survive after heart arrest and many more complications. But only had a brain scar, which resulted in a Grand Mal Epileptic seizure at the age of 6. Being so severely premature has most likely caused the learning difficulty due to all of the symptoms I have.

To illustrate this, at the age of 9, I was placed in 'special education', due to an assessment by Maths special education people. When I got to secondary school, I was placed in the special education class until a few weeks later, I was moved to top sets in English, History, RE- Everything other than Maths and as an effect Science. Countless reports can verify that Maths has been incomprehensible to me and being in the lowest set and even the lowest of that set in Maths. My parents got me extra lessons and tuition with 'Explore Learning' to improve my Maths, but nothing has ever helped the inability to fathom numbers, graphs or data, despite how much we've tried. This has left me with two F's in Maths, C's in GCSE Core and Additional Science because I was forced to sit the GCSE Foundation paper as I could not do the Maths and graphs in Physics or Chemistry but could fully fathom Biology with no data and got an A in the Science coursework due to the understanding of the written English based coursework. The foundation papers due to the learning difficulty meant that I could get no higher than a C in both.

I have also left with a C in GCSE Geography because of the inability to understand pie charts, grids, maps, graphs and any sort of data, another symptom of Dyscalculia. Also, the only reason I was able to get an A in GCSE Business was because of my A* English based essay and the ability to write extended answers in the exam with the Maths questions being left scribbled over with incorrect answers or incomplete from frustration to get an answer. So the Maths learning difficulty is evident through out my entire education from primary school to A Levels and is likely from being severely premature by 13 weeks with no brain damage but a brain scar and other issues, such as Chronic Lung Disease, showing it's had an impact. This learning difficulty, which all previous Maths teachers suspect I have has caused a massive impact on my education but does not effect my ability in English and Humanities, which there are a string of GCSE A'S with an A* in RE, A in English Language and A in Literature, A in History and A in Business, which demonstrates that it's just the Maths that has caused a disruption from the learning difficulty.

Bereavement:

This has had an impact on my GCSE's and AS'. In the April of 2016, just before I sat my GCSE exams- My grandfather said he wanted to no longer live off of Dialysis and wanted to die. This was granted to him and he was given 2 weeks to live. So for the 2 weeks approaching my GCSE exams and during, I was waiting for my grandfather to die. This had an impact on my GCSE exams and I know I could have performed better in all expect Maths, Science and Geography if this back home had not been happening. But my grandfather didn't die until the following year at the end of March 2017, leaving me and my family constantly waiting to hear news of his death throughout my AS year with having to balance education and spending as much time with him as possible before he passed away.

He died just before my AS exams and I believe that this had a knock on effect in my AS exam performance with it constantly weighing on my mind in the back, with the funeral and the process of grief, with my grandfather being the biggest lost I've ever faced and my first experience of grief. This had an impact on my exams with the thought of my granddad being put to the back but still weighing on my mind and present. I could have performed better at AS'- For example, Philosophy and Ethics and Politics, which I got B's in but weren't far from A's in.

So my teacher filled out a CF form about the above so I don't know if Cambridge will understand.

Extracurriculars: I write an offered to be published novel, I've had work experience with an RE and history teacher, I submitted the essay I sent off as written work last week to Murray Edwards college that I had entered into the Cambridge University Eusebius Essay Prize Competition and sent that as my written work (I went over the limit to 6000 words but oh well) I have been a school librarian and journalist , I have printed poetry and write plays, I have been the Court Reporter in Bar Mock and am an elected Member of Youth Parliament. I have emailed theological academics at Oxford University too.

I don't think I'll even get an interview but at least I've tried

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paisc)
    Best of luck x

ReputationRep:
    if all goes well, my first could be Exeter, Bristol, St. Andrew

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.