The Student Room Group

Functions (factorising) question

I'm having some trouble with this question to do with factorising a cubic equation... I have no idea what to do with the given information.

functions.png

Thanks in advance
The factor theorem is; if f(a)=0, then (x-a) is a factor of f(x), this would mean (x-a)(some quadratic factor) = 0. You can use algebraic long division to solve for the quadratic factor.
Original post by Gabzinc
I'm having some trouble with this question to do with factorising a cubic equation... I have no idea what to do with the given information.

functions.png

Thanks in advance

If f(-4) =0 you know that x+4 is a factor of it. Start by factorising that out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by NotNotBatman
The factor theorem is; if f(a)=0, then (x-a) is a factor of f(x), this would mean (x-a)(some quadratic factor) = 0. You can use algebraic long division to solve for the quadratic factor.

Original post by BobBobson
If f(-4) =0 you know that x+4 is a factor of it. Start by factorising that out

I've never studied factor theorem or factorising cubics before. I'll give it some practice tonight.

Thanks guys.
Original post by Gabzinc

functions.png

Thanks in advance

Since you've been given that x=-4 is a root that must mean you can write the polynomial in the form:

(x + 4) times a quadratic. Simple log division will give you the quadratic:

f(x) = (x+4)(2x^2 -x -3)

Now you just have to factor the quadratic. Try a few things. You should quickly discover that the full factorization is:

f(x) = (x+4)(x+1)(2x-3)

So the roots of f(x) = 0 are -4, -1, 3

Hopefully this helps. :smile:
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Hopefully this helps. :smile:

Unfortunately providing a full solution rarely helps and that is why it is frowned upon here. Please read the Forum Rules pinned to the top of the Maths Forum.
Original post by Mr M
Unfortunately providing a full solution rarely helps and that is why it is frowned upon here. Please read the Forum Rules pinned to the top of the Maths Forum.

Lol, sorry. I wasn't aware. I was just trying to help.
Original post by sameehaiqbal
Lol, sorry. I wasn't aware. I was just trying to help.

I know you meant well.

Quick Reply

Latest