Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    I've completed a BTEC Level 3 National Diploma in IT with grades PP (I know, it's a low grade) and decided against going to University right after College, however I am now interested in applying for a Computer Science Bsc degree and need some help.

    Firstly, since I only have 80 UCAS points I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to do a foundation year first, and have been looking at some courses online and some of them require grades such as M/P even for a foundation year. I thought that most foundation years required very little qualifications so it would be nice if someone can clarify more on this for me, as I was looking at a Computing and Engineering Foundation year at Middlesex University which required M/P grades even for the foundation year, even though I only have a P/P grade.

    What Universities could you recommend for studying Computer Science in the London area that would accept me with my grades even if it means having to do a foundation year first, which I have no problem with. I'm currently looking between Middlesex/Westminster/Greenwhich/Kingston as I doubt the better Uni's will accept anyone with poor grades. In terms of GCSE grades, mine are pretty decent and have passed 9/10 including all the main subjects e.g. English & Maths.

    First of all, I'm sorry if this sounds mean but are you sure you want to go to university? And are you sure you can manage the work which is harder than a simple BTEC degree that you barely passed?

    You could try looking at apprenticeships?

    If you are determined to go to university, have you tried looking at other courses to do with computer science like web development or applied software development? They usually have lower entry requirements than plain computer science.

    Also if you find a uni that has slightly higher requirements, you could still get in through clearing as they lower the entry requirements to fill up spaces.

    You also have a choice of instead trying to find somewhere to do a foundation degree, seeing if you can retake or somehow top up what you already have.

    Some colleges offer higher education courses and just require you to pass BTEC. Then after first year some universities accept applications for transferring. My mate who did BTEC with me decided to stay at college and do their HE and next year is going to UWE instead. If you decide to try that, you'll need to make sure that the course allows you to do that.

    I assume from what you said you did level 3 BTEC and not level 3 extended BTEC? Fact is, even with extended diploma for a foundation year a lot of universities ask for pmm or even mmm. And that's a low requirement considering how simple it is to get.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 8, 2017

University open days

  • Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.