Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If a brain isn't functioning highly enough to care about protecting itself from injury, maybe it isn't worth protecting.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye. Kid died at my school aged 14 because of a speeding car and no helmet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gladstone1885)
    If a brain isn't functioning highly enough to care about protecting itself from injury, maybe it isn't worth protecting.
    Tell that to the family of the kid I know that died.
    I dare you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No. May be make it compulsory for kids but adults should be allowed to put their lives at risk if they choose. I'm against the nanny state.
    • Community Assistant
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Aye
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    I think helmets should be worn, it is not just about that individual but also the issues caused for others in the event of collision.

Aye

ReputationRep:
    What is a built up area? Does Fair Isle or Foula count because there are a few buildings on those islands?

So all it takes is for one office or factory to make it a non-residential road?

Roads with council houses but not private houses are not residential roads?

Of all the terms that needs to be defined, fixed penalty fine is not one of them.

'Force people cycling on roads... to wear a helmet'? And you lot still call me draconian and dictatorial? You better have a look at yourselves. Are there going to be council workers forcing helmets onto cyclists' heads?

What helmets are these anyway? Would pith helmets suffice?

What does 'this law' in section 3 refer to? There are no provisions in this bill that make any action illegal for a cyclist.

What's with the rubbish bills this government is currently submitting? Only recently, there's been a bill that uses examples of manslaughter for murder, and now this?
    • Aston Villa FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    Aye, seems reasonable
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    No way - I ****ing hate wearing helmets, hence why I don't, and apart from a bit of inconvenience, any damage done will largely be to the cyclist themselves!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    No, if idiots want to to risk their lives by not wearing a helmet when cycling that is their fault, the state should not mother morons.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    To all those objecting to this on 'nanny state' grounds will you be proposing a bill to end the requirement for seat belts?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    To all those objecting to this on 'nanny state' grounds will you be proposing a bill to end the requirement for seat belts?
    The difference between seat belts and cycle helmets is not only that seat belts are already the default option, whereas cycle helmets are not. Also, I'd love to see a comparison on the number of car accidents, and cycle accidents, and the severity of them. However, you also have to consider if sitting in the back of a car, not wearing a seatbelt can actually kill the person in front of you if you have a high impact crash.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    I dare you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He is right, at 14 the child should have the maturity to know a helmet is important when riding a bike, and parents should teach their children of the importance of using a helmet. It is terrible a child died, however, the child is partly to blame for being an idiot by not using a helmet.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    If there was a bill to make wearing seat belts compulsory I would vote against the bill using the same justification, however, as seats belts are required, I see little point wasting time writing a bill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    Yeah well the head is most important part of the body, any seroius injury to head could be life threatening.

Tbh most guys cycle you don't get that much females cyclist tbf. Plus most guys are reckless so it make sense for the figure to be high for men

If you wanna protect the entire body then people should start wearing this lol :teehee:

I am a bit concerned that his balls are not sufficiently protected. There should be extra padding there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    I am a bit concerned that his balls are not sufficiently protected. There should be extra padding there.
    Lol :lol:

Here is this sufficient enough you have full body protection and its bullet proof aswell :mmm: if a jedi ever wanted to attack you, you'll have some protection from them aswell :rofl:

Posted from OtherWorld

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr T 999)
    Lol :lol:

Here is this sufficient enough you have full body protection and its bullet proof aswell :mmm: if a jedi ever wanted to attack you, you'll have some protection from them aswell :rofl:

Posted from OtherWorld
    Can this resist The Force? If not, it's not good enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unown Uzer)
    Can this resist The Force? If not, it's not good enough.
    Sadly not I'm a afraid :no: it can give you some protection from Lazer bullets

Posted from OtherWorld

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obiejess)
    I dare you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Considering that this bill doesn't apply only to fourteen year olds, I wouldn't. Even then, the kid is old enough to make that decision for himself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Be patient, it's coming.

Posted from TSR Mobile

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.