Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Incase anyone wondered so they can relate I am a 17 year old girl who has been self harming for 4 years my parents and school know and I am getting the most help I can. I am in my first year of sixth form.
    I told my teacher about my self harming, he has been my biology teacher for three years and we get along, he has not previously known. I told him because I felt like I was about to relapse and my school councillor was not in for the remainder of that term and I did not know who to talk to. When telling him he told me to see the doctor who have referred me to Camhs, it has taken a really long time for the referral to go through and I feel like I don't know who to talk to. My biology teacher sometimes holds me back at the end of the lesson to ask if I'm ok, but I just say yeah and leave. I feel like I can trust him but I don't want to say no and burst into tears. I feel like I need help, but I don't know where to get it?
    After coming back to school after Christmas, I feel like I have fallen back down, but my school councillor is back I don't know whether to speak to her, as she has been away for a long time, and has missed a lot like the referral to Camhs, I feel like she is going to be ashamed of me, or speak to my teacher who is easy to speak to but I don't want him to tell me to go and speak to the councillor as she is back now? I thought I should ask this on here as it's anonymous and it's easy for guidance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger_123)
    Incase anyone wondered so they can relate I am a 17 year old girl who has been self harming for 4 years my parents and school know and I am getting the most help I can. I am in my first year of sixth form.
    I told my teacher about my self harming, he has been my biology teacher for three years and we get along, he has not previously known. I told him because I felt like I was about to relapse and my school councillor was not in for the remainder of that term and I did not know who to talk to. When telling him he told me to see the doctor who have referred me to Camhs, it has taken a really long time for the referral to go through and I feel like I don't know who to talk to. My biology teacher sometimes holds me back at the end of the lesson to ask if I'm ok, but I just say yeah and leave. I feel like I can trust him but I don't want to say no and burst into tears. I feel like I need help, but I don't know where to get it?
    After coming back to school after Christmas, I feel like I have fallen back down, but my school councillor is back I don't know whether to speak to her, as she has been away for a long time, and has missed a lot like the referral to Camhs, I feel like she is going to be ashamed of me, or speak to my teacher who is easy to speak to but I don't want him to tell me to go and speak to the councillor as she is back now? I thought I should ask this on here as it's anonymous and it's easy for guidance.
    Hey!
    If I were you I would visit the school counsellor and update her with what is going on with you. She has a job to help you and cannot be ashamed of you for seeking that help. It takes a huge amount of courage. I know it can seem so dark and hopeless at the the moment but with the right help you can get through it and you will be stronger for it.
    I really hope you don't relapse. I know it feels like a solution at the time but it only takes the pain away temporarily. I have been free for 6 months now and every day is a battle but it gets better and all scars fade in time, even emotional ones.
    I hope you get the help you need.
    All the best
    Xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, it's extremely great that you are actually taking the time to seek advice and help for something that is major like this.
    I am going to give you some of my personal advice because I can relate to you. I am 17 years old and I am in my last year of school as well, I have been self harming for 5 years until I sought help when I was 16.
    It is an extremely difficult thing getting help for self harm since it can be seen as something that is either attention seeking or absurd but I am sure that you are aware that it is an extremely big issue and I am proud of you for addressing that
    You have been referred to Camhs, great! That's the first step done. I have been seeing a counsellor in Camhs for a year now and I have managed to almost completely recover thanks to them but I wouldn't have managed without the help of my teachers and most importantly, my school counsellor. This leads to the fact that now, since you mentioned that your school counsellor is back, I really do advise you to go and speak to them since they are there to listen and to help you. Don't be ashamed and don't feel like you will be wasting their time, ever since I opened up to my school counsellor about my issues he has been the most supportive he's ever been and I couldn't be more grateful. It's such a great thing that you have managed to talk to a teacher you trust too, it is difficult to admit to not being okay and there is nothing wrong with that but I feel like if this is a teacher you have a good relationship with, you should build up the courage and talk to them after class one day and open up about what you are going through. The fact that they ask you is an indicator that they care about you
    I really hope you get all the help you need and that you do get the courage to recover. You are not any less of a person because of self harm, you are yourself and that doesn't make you any less You.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.