Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Recently a three figure bill turned up in the post addressed to "the occupier". Upon examination it turned out to be a utility bill for gas and electricity prior to my occupation of the property at stage when I rented it out (I am the owner).

I spoke with the company concerned who asked me to provide evidence that I was not living there at the time however since the bill was addressed to "the occupier" as opposed to anyones name I just thought "sod it" and got on with life. They didn't have my name and I doubted that they would persue it.

Yesterday I had the hilarious situation of debt collectors turning up however not knowing who they were looking for. I explained again that the property was rented at this time and that I were not living there. They looked confused and went away.

I am the owner of the property however it seems that the company concerned is owed some money from when I rented it to someone I know who basically buggered off leaving various debts.

Do I have to pay them as the only contact information that they have at the moment it "the occupier"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Recently a three figure bill turned up in the post addressed to "the occupier". Upon examination it turned out to be a utility bill for gas and electricity prior to my occupation of the property at stage when I rented it out (I am the owner).

I spoke with the company concerned who asked me to provide evidence that I was not living there at the time however since the bill was addressed to "the occupier" as opposed to anyones name I just thought "sod it" and got on with life. They didn't have my name and I doubted that they would persue it.

Yesterday I had the hilarious situation of debt collectors turning up however not knowing who they were looking for. I explained again that the property was rented at this time and that I were not living there. They looked confused and went away.

I am the owner of the property however it seems that the company concerned is owed some money from when I rented it to someone I know who basically buggered off leaving various debts.

Do I have to pay them as the only contact information that they have at the moment it "the occupier"?
    Give them the name of the person who was living there at the time. And their previous address (before they lived at your house). The debt collectors will then be chasing the right person.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, is there anything that they can do to me personally or not?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think so. As long as the renting out was all cosha. And I s'pose it'd help if you had proof that the person you say was living there was actually living there.

ReputationRep:
    Probably not but there may be a link established on your credit record, it might be worth ordering a copy to find out and then attaching a note to it saying "I own this property but the debt was for my tennant"
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    How long ago was the bill for? If it's more than 6 years, then the debt can't be followed up.

But if it's more recent than that you should try to prove you weren't living there at the time, and give the company any information you can

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.