Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    It seems to consistently highly ranked for physics over at CUG, but is it really that good? It seems to be pretty much up there with Imperial, Durham, etc. yet I wouldn't have considered it anywhere near that level before.

How does Birmingham compare, say internationally, to the likes of Imperial and Durham?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Apply if the course interests you. Don't worry about how it compares. Rankings mean a load of different things based on who does them and what they base them on. Brum is a good uni generally and no one will ask you how it compares internationally if you've got a good degree and relevant work experience.

ReputationRep:
    I went and visited Imperial's, Durham's and Birmingham's physics departments and was by far the most impressed by Birmingham as a whole department - they do tutor sessions in groups of 4, whereas at Imperial it's in groups of 20!! However, they are currently building a new Physics building at Durham, so Durham will likely have better facilities. I believe the research is more wide ranging at Birmingham and Imperial than Durham though. When at Birmingham, I got chatting to a Particle Physics Professor who has a big role in the Alice project at CERN, which is something you definitely don't get every day!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.