Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Flat mate won't pay for licence but uses iplayer Watch

ReputationRep:
    So when we moved in this year we all decided that we wanted a tv licence so we agreed to share the cost of one between us... or at least seven of us did. An eighth claimed he had no need of one and did not want to pay, which was fine. The rest of us split the bill. However he mentioned to me in passing today that he was planning to watch something on iplayer, which you need a licence to do. I mentioned (politely I hope) that since he wasn't paying for the licence he really shouldn't. I'm not bothered that I had to pay a bit more for the licence than I otherwise would have done, rather the fact that he made a really big thing about not wanting to pay a one time fee of less than twenty pounds and is now using the licence anyway. However I'm worried I overreacted by saying something about it. Was it worth mentioning?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Is it a one off or a regular thing? If it's the latter then yes, I do think he should have to pay for it.

ReputationRep:
    it's a bit of a crappy thing to do and I would be annoyed too but there's not really anything to be done about it, if you kicked up enough fuss he might be able to pay each of you £2 or something to cover his share but it's not gonna make a big difference to your life - just take it as knowledge on his character for later

I wouldn't want to have anything running in a shared house which everyone has access to but some people say they 'won't use' - I think it's just too easy to be abused, I would have suggested (especially given it's a small expense) you vote on whether or not to pay it and then all do the same thing

ReputationRep:
    He shouldn't have told you that at all. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    As far as I remember there's a loop hole in the licence agreement which states that if you use iplayer when your laptop isn't plugged into the plug socket you don't need a TV licence. Not much help to you, but it might be comforting that you're not paying for the 8th person too?

ReputationRep:
    Its bad from him and you are entitled to call him out on it.

I lived in a house of 8 and didn't want a licence but everyone else did so I paid my money. If it is under £20 and you are the only one objecting, I think the decent thing to do is just pay up. I guess he was within his rights to not pay for something he didn't want but if he uses it, it looks like he was just trying to get others to pay his bills for him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by poésietraduite)
    As far as I remember there's a loop hole in the licence agreement which states that if you use iplayer when your laptop isn't plugged into the plug socket you don't need a TV licence. Not much help to you, but it might be comforting that you're not paying for the 8th person too?
    This is true! I've also tried to tell as many people as I can about this to avoid paying for TV licence.

The full requirement is that at your primary address (your home when you're not at university) if your parents, or just generally that household, has a TV licence then you do not need to buy one under the following conditions.
    - That you are using a battery powered device to watch iPlayer
    - Said battery powered device (eg phone, laptop) must not be plugged in to the main supply whilst using iPlayer (as this counts as it being mains powered). So just unplug it whilst watching.

Although, for things like phones and laptops ect. it is difficult to prove whether or not the device is plugged in, so basically you're fine.

However, regardless of all of these if you want to use iPlayer (or any service) for live TV then you will need a TV licence.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    or you can just not get one :shh:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Hiya
    I think there may have been another loophole somewhere which I heard if you enter your home postcode for bbc iplayer (if their home has a paid tv licence) they could access iplayer at uni or wherever

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.bbc...s/amp/37477229

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody even check if you have a license or not? "Not plugged in the power supply", that's absurd.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.