Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I need to drop out.. Watch

Announcements

I hate my course at uni, I'm first year I haven't made any friends when I really did try to, and I lived at home because I didn't want too much debt, but living at home means my parents still feel they have control over me despite being 20.. This whole situation is hurting my mental health honestly, I have become so much more anxious than I ever was, I can't go into lecture halls because I feel like everyone is laughing at me or talking about me..

It's a vocational degree like nursing so when you finish it there's not much you can do aside from that, but I've realised I really hate it, I don't want to be doing that for the rest of my life, I'm so depressed, I don't know what I want to do instead, I want to move to Australia and work there for a bit and hopefully one day get permanent residency, I have friends and family over there, more than I have ever had here. My boyfriend also lives over there and he said he would support me in coming, he literally just flew back from seeing me tonight.

I dealt with sexual assault before in my college years and I just want to get away from everything here, so far I haven't found what I enjoy and I feel like I keep making mistakes, I actually feel like a complete failure in life and I don't want a future if I'm going to be miserable in it.

Every time I try and tell my parents about dropping out they get mad at me, apparently I have an attitude problem and I should be grateful for getting into university.. I am grateful but I can't help it if I really don't enjoy it.. I already failed my first exam before christmas too

I don' t know what to do, I feel like for my sanity I need to drop out, I actually wish I don't wake up anymore so that I don't have to do this degree, I'm scared to drop out with my parents so angry at me over it.

If I could just have somebody to talk to or some suggestions on what anyone thinks would be helpful I would really love to hear it, I really feel so lost right now and I don't know where to turn to for help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I hate my course at uni, I'm first year I haven't made any friends when I really did try to, and I lived at home because I didn't want too much debt, but living at home means my parents still feel they have control over me despite being 20.. This whole situation is hurting my mental health honestly, I have become so much more anxious than I ever was, I can't go into lecture halls because I feel like everyone is laughing at me or talking about me..

It's a vocational degree like nursing so when you finish it there's not much you can do aside from that, but I've realised I really hate it, I don't want to be doing that for the rest of my life, I'm so depressed, I don't know what I want to do instead, I want to move to Australia and work there for a bit and hopefully one day get permanent residency, I have friends and family over there, more than I have ever had here. My boyfriend also lives over there and he said he would support me in coming, he literally just flew back from seeing me tonight.

I dealt with sexual assault before in my college years and I just want to get away from everything here, so far I haven't found what I enjoy and I feel like I keep making mistakes, I actually feel like a complete failure in life and I don't want a future if I'm going to be miserable in it.

Every time I try and tell my parents about dropping out they get mad at me, apparently I have an attitude problem and I should be grateful for getting into university.. I am grateful but I can't help it if I really don't enjoy it.. I already failed my first exam before christmas too

I don' t know what to do, I feel like for my sanity I need to drop out, I actually wish I don't wake up anymore so that I don't have to do this degree, I'm scared to drop out with my parents so angry at me over it.

If I could just have somebody to talk to or some suggestions on what anyone thinks would be helpful I would really love to hear it, I really feel so lost right now and I don't know where to turn to for help.
    Rather than your parents, have you tried speaking to student services? I know that a completed first year is sometimes enough to get you onto a second year at another course if you ever feel like staying at uni.

Perhaps if you convince your parents you're dropping out of uni to start something like an apprenticeship, rather than 'just for the sake of it', it may help.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hey. It sounds like you have a lot on your mind at the moment, and it is understandable, with what feels like a lot of pressure that you are feeling. First off I would say that, if they are available to you at your university, access support by talking to the on-campus support services, whether that be course guidance or counselling services. It is great that you are reaching out on here, but you should talk to a professional individual to sort things through.

That being said, from what I can understand it feels like your being pushed into a career/educational path that you do not want, and while I don't know your situation, I would hope that the reason why your parents are so emotional about this is because they only want whats best for you (which is what they think they are doing). At the end of the day, you are the only person who knows what is best for you in the present, and for your future, and if you honestly feel that dropping out will benefit you, then I would consider doing that. If you have an idea of what you would actually prefer to do, maybe explain this to your parents as to the reason why you want to drop out. Maybe they might understand you a bit better.

Either way, I wish you the best, and I hope this reply has helped in some way ☺️

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 9, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.